Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

@Rion

Are these images transparent PNGs? I believe the forum engine converts to JPG on upload, so the transparency is lost.

waiting

1 Like

@Duimon

Yea sorry about that.

Here they are on my Google Drive

The Mega Bezel Shader is updated to Version 2020-04-26!

Changes:

• Glass Preset Added
  • BG Vignette is used to vignette the glass reflection around the screen
  • Vignette in Tube Added
  • Auto Tube orientation is now unaffected by cropping
  • GTU & CBOD added to all preset versions of the shader with an on/off setting, Default setting is OFF
  • Old GTU presets removed
  • Your presets will need to be updated
  • Parameter names have not changed
  • 2D curvature is now using the curvature from CrtPi, which has continuity outside the screen so we avoid any weird crunchy distortion outside the corners

The screen brightness creates highlights along the inner edges (Uses the color from the fullscreen glow).

The amount of this is controlled by

Vignette has been added (This needs to show up in the reflection, but that’s not done yet)

Dithering and GTU

An overload of screenshots of the glass preset

Whew! that was a lot of images :wink:

11 Likes

I made a free account and tried the new 2.0 version but the results are not that good. It could be user error but tried both in 2x and 4x and these are the zoomed in pictures with before and after.

Before

After 2x

the thing with AI upscaling is that the source has to be pretty high quality to get decent results, in other words: garbage in, garbage out

1 Like

I tried this with the bezel and frame transparency method and while it worked, I still think the best results come from just tweaking the generated ones. Like this…

3 Likes

Yea but i think also that is has to do with what type of upscaling algorithm it uses. I did try out the bigjpg AI upscaling and got a lot better result.

Here are the results from bigjpg 4x without noise reduction.

I did try out low and medium noise reduction and medium yielded the same results as 4x without noise reduction and low was worse then 4x.

1 Like

Been spending time doing yard-work and working on my thebezelproject scripts. Thought I’d take a break from both.

My new Playstation 4K vector.

3 Likes

I was quite happy with the results from BigJpg so i upscaled all the images to 4x.

BigJpg 4x AI Upscaling

1 Like

updated the shader a bit, thinned out the bezels to match an actual PVM.

Is there a way to adjust the height of the scanlines to maybe make them look better at non-integer resolutions? I’d make the shader to work with an integer scale, but the integer scale on my monitor would push almost all of the PVM off the screen to fit the integer scale bezel and video

3 Likes

Have you tried easymode? I think might work better at lower resolutions.

1 Like

that screenshot is easymode, the scanlines are still a bit off and there is some moire patterns

2 Likes

As always, testing the latest version of your awesome shader pack. What I found now is that the GTU versions of it fail to load, I get the same error I used to get when I exceeded the allowed number of parameters now :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, in the new set of presets there are no GTU versions, they have been removed, all the remaining presets have GTU already integrated into them.

Which preset specifically were you trying to load, maybe it was a leftover one from your last installation?

2 Likes

Totally! My bad :smiley: Creating a new retroarch installation, who knows what mess I have there now haha

I love this shader. I also like bouncing between shaders just to see how different games look.

Does anyone know if there is a shader that just does the scaling like this one? I’d like to add it to my other shaders so I can just hit the “m” hotkey and not have to change how retroarch handles scaling.

1 Like

I think every shader that he has included in this pack, has a version that just does scaling without the reflection and everything. (So basically w/e shader with scaling, no bezel, no reflection. Just the shader with the addition of scaling.)

Are you using a shader that isn’t included in his pack?

He also has a readme on his GitHub explaining how to port this into other shaders. I noticed it this morning.

I meant so I could add scaling to a shader I have built, say something that is just scanlines emulates for laptop battery efficiency an old tv, or a shader that does some crazy fx cell shading.

I’ll look at the readme, but I am not very adapt at coding.

2 Likes

Hi,

I like your TV overlays very much and tried to do completely transparent reflection on the Hantarex MGG 15. It’s original bezel material is very strongly textured, so I wanted to keep these. I think I only succeeded by about 80%, but I still like it and will use it for my setup.

@Duimon: Would you mind sharing your background texture (wooden desk with wall paper) you used for your setup with the Sony earphone TV? I really like it :grin:

2 Likes