Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

View, Proof Setup, Custom, Device to Simulate - then select your monitor.

2 Likes

Great!! I sow right now! Thanks a lot John!

2 Likes

No worries. Just remember that you might have to do that every time you open Photoshop. I find that when I initially open a image in photoshop it doesn’t apply the icc profile, so I have to change to another profile, then back again, weird. If you get time, try opening a image, then change profile to something, look at the colours, then change back to your monitor profile and see if the colours suddenly change.

2 Likes

So I figured out what’s wrong, the last scalefx pass changes the scale, so then the first ntsc pass is being run at the wrong scale/resolution. I think it’s also possible that the scale of the adaptive passes was off.

So something like the following should work, you may need to change the numbers on the passes

shader14 = shaders/HyperspaceMadness/hsm-scalefx/hsm-scalefx-pass4.slang
filter_linear14 = false
scale_type14 = source
scale14 = 1

shader15 = ..\ntsc\shaders\ntsc-adaptive\ntsc-pass1.slang
scale_type15 = source
scale_x15 = 4.0
filter_linear15 = false
scale_type15 = 1.0
float_framebuffer15 = true

shader16 = ..\ntsc\shaders\ntsc-adaptive\ntsc-pass2.slang
scale_type16 = source
scale_x16 = 0.5
scale_y16 = 1.0
filter_linear16 = false
4 Likes

Hey there, I’ve been watching this project for some time now and I just gotta say, I’'m a massive fan of everything you’ve done here, your efforts have truly propelled these shaders to a whole 'nother level. Speaking of propelling shaders to new levels, have you considered giving the “crt-mattias” shader your unique touch? Haven’t noticed anyone else mention this one, apologies if I missed it. I absolutely love the look of crt-mattias, but as amazing as that shader is, It does leave a lot to be desired without the various additions/automations you’ve put in place. You really have ruined all other shaders for me yo lol. XD

4 Likes

Glad you like it! I don’t think we’ve had any discussions about crt-mattias specifically. I did have some requests for Newpixie which was written by Mattias I think in the last year or so, so this was added. It seems to look similar to me, What do you think of it?

It has rolling scanlines and doesn’t seem to have the noise that crt-mattias has. Maybe we could add anything you feel is missing from crt-mattias to Newpixie.

Mu hu ha ha ha ha, my plan is complete!!! :laughing:

2 Likes

Worked. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Ha “like” is putting it mildly ^^. Glad to hear that, I’d hate to be that guy unnecessarily resurrecting stuff. You’re right they certainly do look similar and I actually used to like NewPixie, but there are some fundamental differences, that in all honesty end up rendering Newpixie almost unusable and no amount of fiddling/tweaking on my end has managed to properly fix the inherent issues, doing so just ends up birthing new problems (at least for me it certainly did).

I’ve taken a few comparison shots to demonstrate what I mean, both shaders are running in default (just in case you were wondering). Firstly and most obvious, you’ll notice NewPixie suffers with some major black crush, you’ll probably also notice areas of the screen that would normally be black, are more like a dark yellow color, which brings me onto the next issue, everything has a bit of a yellowish tint to it, which can be seen in both dark and light shots. Lastly, bright spots in an image have absolutely no pop to em, basically no appearance of glow, even though it does a good bit of edge bleed. Okay, so that’s a few good knocks to NewPixie, however there is one thing that Mattias does a bit oddly and that’s the scanlines, they don’t scale with the game’s resolution and seem to rather scale with your desktop’s, rather odd indeed.

NewPixie 1080p

Mattias 1080p

NewPixie 1080p

Mattias 1080p

NewPixie 1080p

Mattias 1080p

NewPixie 1080p

Mattias 1080p

NewPixie 1080p

Mattias 1080p

Mattias 4K (scanline’s scaling with desktop res and not game’s)

NewPixie 1080p

Mattias 1080p (dullness caused by scanlines not scaling with game resolution)

Mattias 4K (Vivid, but again scanlines are scaling with desktop’s res rather than game’s)

I’m not sure it’d be a simple case of adding something, as NewPixie is (as you can see) fundamentally flawed, so unless you can get to options unavailable in retroarch itself, I can’t imagine how these issues would be resolved, but I’ve certainly got my fingers crossed that you’ll be able to pull some kind of miracle. ^^

5 Likes

Is there an estimate for the release of the new version?

2 Likes

Thanks for all the side by side comparisons :smiley:, this really helps me understand the differences and what you don’t like about NewPixie compared to Crt-Mattias. I also feel like NewPixie has a brightness problem & black crush, I also see the color tint it is doing making things more yellowish. As well as scanlines being independent of the core resolution.

I also wanted to mention if you are ever testing shaders a great way to do this is to take a snapshot with GPU Shapshot off which will give you a core resolution image. Then you load the ImageViewer core and load this image.

So I do have a plan to do a round on the brightness of all the crt shaders used in the mega bezel matching their brightness to Guest-DrVenom, as well as a round on the fake scanlines. So it’s possible that we could handle the scanlines with this to control if there should be core res scanlines or display res rolling scanlines.

But I’m also curious if we can get the look of CRT-Mattias out of Guest-DrVenom. I’m wondering if the latest version can do the amount of deconvergence shown here in the turtles example. Although I definitely want a good solution for deconvergence in the megabexel because I like the “Glowy” feel it gives.

We can always add CRT-Mattias as a new preset, but I generally try to avoid adding to the number of presets, because it’s more to manage, but also more for users to wade through :wink:

Regardless of which direction we go I’m sure we can find a good solution :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thanks stacks, you have no idea how much I appreciate you looking into this and I hear ya about not wanting to add more to the pile, I just sure hope we can achieve the same look out of what we got, as it sure does look sweet yo. You mentioned deconvergence, I’m actually unsure what that even is, is it the chromatic aberration look the shader has? If so I’m a huge fan of that, in fact I’d say it’s the very thing that makes NewPixie/Mattias kick so much @$$ visually lol. Thanks again for the time.

Oh and I’ll definitely keep the “GPU snapshot off” thing in mind next time I’m taking shots, thanks. ^^

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have an estimate on this because it is waiting on the next version of Retroarch. They are sorting out their build infrastructure now, so hopefully not too long.

A glimpse of the startup animation cooking in the HSM kitchen for the next version, (this will be able to be turned off if desired) And it will be smoother than the GIF looks :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Yeah, the deconvergence and chromatic aberration is white separating into the different colors.

I think in the real world there are are different causes of this color separation:

• Sometimes it is the actual glass, and this usually happens more around the edges/corners than the center.
  • I think deconvergence is referring to about the different electron guns being not aligned.
  • I think the third thing is a sort of separation of colors which happens because of the phosphor alignment, e.g. Red phosphor is on the left, Blue phosphor on the right.

Anyway in general in the shaders you will often hear it referred to as deconvergence.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the info, really good to know, especially considering shaders refer to it as such. ^^

2 Likes

Just a personal opinion, but chromatic aberration should be nowhere near a CRT shader. It’s a camera lens imperfection issue, nothing to do with CRT screens. It’s one of my pet hates in videogames, and is way over-used, imo. If you need the image to look like a well-worn old CRT with signal offset problems, then perhaps look at porting-over MAME’s RGB Signal Offset HLSL code, where you can offset R, G, and B.

1 Like

My real CRT TV deviations include notable RB deconvergence, raster bloom (pretty hefty and jumpy in fact) and left to right shades of bright colors over black, not including signaling aberrations. But it really depends from the model and maybe condition in general.

4 Likes

I have 15 CRTs here, from all types of the markets they were in, from commercial TV, to professional monitor, to commercial monitors like the Philips CM8833 1 and 2, and none of them look anything like L4ZYD4NE’s screens - if they did, I would be very worried.

2 Likes

Not really worth debating because it all boils down to subjectivity. Do we or do we not want to include common “defects” to improve realism? I what we want is a perfectly built and calibrated CRT then the answer is no.

My two cents… My father was a TV repairman back in the CRT days. The most common problems were high voltage tubes, the need for degaussing, and RGB convergence. I remember the outer corners were the most difficult to calibrate because the increased distance (At a vector from the guns.) between the outer glass surface and the tube would cause illusions. (Chromatic aberration.)

Again, it’s a matter of personal taste and I am grateful to the shader authors like @guest.r for giving us things to choose from to each meet our own.

For my console graphics I like perfection, for my TV graphics, I like some defective realism. :grin:

I plan on having some real fun with my first B&W vintage TV graphic. :wink:

4 Likes

Taste has nothing to do with what a actual CRT does or does not. Chromatic aberration IS a LENS issue, and there are no lenses in a CRT. What you might or might not see at the very edges of a tube is irrelevant, you would first need a bare CRT to see them, plastic bezels covered the edges of the tube, so the user wouldn’t see those issues. But to see Chromatic aberration in the actual image is just wrong, it’s not something a CRT would produce. Signal issues, would cause drifting of RGB, often I would see red drifting more than Green or Blue, but that wouldn’t always be the case. I’m not trying to cause a argument or anything, but Chromatic aberration really irks me the wrong way.

1 Like

I’m in love. It will be like Christmas.

3 Likes