Mesen Core

Why? Just because of all the features that other NES emulators lack. I’m not aware of the requirements or how fast a Mesen core would run on WiiU but I would definitely be willing to test a build and report back.

Yea, C++11 is required, no way around it except rewriting a ton of code. The makefiles specify C++14 though, which is probably needed for a smaller number of things, so it might be feasible to make it compile on C++11, unsure.

Like you said though, I’m not sure the Wii U’s CPU is fast enough to run Mesen at full speed… (no way to know for sure without trying, but the odds are probably not good)

So I had a play around and it seems to work fine with NES roms but not with Disk System roms.

I just tested it with this Zelda 1 translation patch and it seems to be working on my end. I can’t really see any reason why it would work with .nes files and not .fds files, too, since the softpatching is completely done by Retroarch itself.

There are headerless and headered versions of .fds files, IPS patches will only work on one of them but not both - maybe that’s what’s happening on your end?

Good thinkin’ - yeah i bet it’s a problem with the header on the rom I tried. Thanks.

I am running Retroarch 1.74. Mesen core is not available in the online updater in Retroarch. I checked out the cores on buildbot and Mesen was not there. Am I missing something or did it get removed ?

It should be there. You can download it manually here: https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/latest/mesen_libretro.dll.zip

Are you missing a lot of cores? If so, you may be using the MSVC build, which is intended for Windows XP (though it will work with WinXP and up) and lacks a lot of cores.

Thanks for the direct download. I noticed Nightly. Thats why I could not find it lol. Do you have to have the nightly retroarch build to use it ? I know the stable version of Retroarch quite well. The only thing I have not figured out is how to add cores that are not available with the online updater in retroarch. For some reason mesen is not showing up in there. Is there a link you can send me or tell me how to do it ?

The core does work good. There is a bug though. Like you I was thinking it might b Retrarch itself but it is not. The controller configuration for Retroarch itself does not work with Mesen core. I had to go into options with Mesen loaded and I had to configure it. It had B button as a button and A button as A Button. I tried another core Nestopia UE and the controller configuration worked by default. I did not have to go into and set it up For the core itself. Other then that the core works great

I got smart. I finally found the core in Retroarch. For some reason when I updated retroarch it changed to the latest build 1.74 x64 for windows 10/8 etc. But no files actually updated. I Downloaded a fresh full version Then just copied all my settings over from my old one. Then mesen showed up under Nintendo - NES/Famicom (Mesen)

i am confused why the dreamcast core didn’t because when run the core it crashes retroarch!

The core does work good. There is a bug though. Like you I was thinking it might b Retrarch itself but it is not. The controller configuration for Retroarch itself does not work with Mesen core. I had to go into options with Mesen loaded and I had to configure it. I could tell my 8Bitdo Snes30Pro was configured right cuz remapping lined up perfectly the way Retroarch had it .It had B button as a button and A button as A Button. I tried another core Nestopia UE and the controller configuration worked by default. I did not have to go into and set it up For the core itself. Other then that the core works great

It just has a different default mapping. Mesen is mapped in my preferred setup where jump is on the bottom face button and attack/run is on the left one. Just like most SNES games. But you can change that by going into controls in the quick menu with a game loaded in the core. Move A and B (and turbo A and B) to whatever face buttons you prefer and save a core remap.

hi, Microphone does not react.Please fix.

As a simple confirmation method, an icon is displayed by microphone input in 2P mode of “Raid on Bungeling Bay (Japan)”.

Thanks - the microphone issue should be fixed in the latest build on the buildbot (it’s also been moved to player 1’s L3 button, rather than player 2’s)

1 Like

Hey, enjoying the retroarch mesen core (0.9.8), thanks!

I noticed that it does not properly load bezel images. If you manually select an overlay while a game is running, it will use it, but then when you quit and load it again it goes back to NES default. This isn’t an issue with nestopia core so i suspect something with the way this core has been built.

Let me know if I can help debug!

You’ll have to explain a little more about your issue. None of the cores have any control over the frontend’s overlay capabilities.

I think I was mistaken, looks like an issue with the way the bezel project is creating configs. Sorry for the trouble!

1 Like

I love this Core, but there is one issue with the zapper emulation. Can you change the off screen trigger to right mouse button only rather than holding the right mouse button and pressing the left? I cannot get my AimTrak gun to work as it sends a right mouse click when you pull the trigger off screen and there is no way to send a hold right and press left to Mesen. This would be much appreciated.

Lately I’ve noticed that the ips soft patching doesn’t work. That is I have in my roms folder the rom file and the ips equivalent -having named them exactly the same but when the game boots it doesn’t apply the patch. Does anybody else has the same issue?