Mesen Core

It’s still marked as “needs_fullpath=false”, so softpatching should work, theoretically. Can you post a log?

Sure, here it is, if anyone can make a sense out of it!

It looks like that log doesn’t show far enough to actually see the patching part, but I can see at least one (possibly unrelated) issue in your driver names being malformed. If you open your retroarch.cfg and search for audio_driver, does it say “xaudio” or “xaud”?

Thanks for the reply, it says “xau”…but so far I’m having no issues at all besides the patching thing.

Ok, let’s do a quick sanity check: move your retroarch.cfg somewhere else temporarily and let it create a new one with default values. See if the patching issue persists. If so, your config is fine-ish and you can put the old one back in place. If not, something in it is b0rk3n.

2 Likes

I did that and unfortunately the patching issue persists…I could hard patch the roms in the end, it’s not a big deal -temporarily at least. Thanks again!

1 Like

On my side “Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun (Japan)” with the translation from “chronix” and also the translation from “Vice Translations” works fine:
Windows 64bit
RetroArch 1.9.7
fresh downloaded mesen core

Have you checked if you have a headered rom?

2 Likes

I could do that but I don’t seem to find a header utility for the NES, only for Snes…

Can you control the checksum of the *.nes file (not the *.zip)
It should be:

Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula Kun (J) - NOINTRO
    CRC32: F916D969
    MD5: 58E2A3B62103C1F4AF7AEC452CAFF175
    SHA-1: A7F5329BE0440498DC343504652EAFCB39836609
    SHA-256: 10BEE1E62E247701CF05811888E2DC297352BE722F861756CE5912BA7D40941F

Using ROM Hasher I got this result:

No-Intro Name: Akumajou Special - Boku Dracula-kun (Japan)
(No-Intro version  20130731-235630)
File SHA-1: A7F5329BE0440498DC343504652EAFCB39836609
ROM SHA-1: 40A9324E9D5FFCF8618C9D95E22424A8EFE60C6E
1 Like

Ok, the rom seems fine and i assume the translation patch as well, so the problem lies somewhere else.

• Mesen core updated?
  • Double checked the naming of the files?
  • Tried with a new RetroArch version? (download the latest stable [1.9.8] *7z version on windows or the appimage on linux, place it somewhere temporary, download mesen core and try to run the game through “Load Content”)
1 Like

I decided it was time to do a fresh install and update my RetroArch to the latest version! All problems solved! :+1:

5 Likes

Since I updated Retroarch to the latest version 1.15.0, it stops working when I open a rom using the latest Mesen core, Nestopia opens NES games just fine and I don’t have any problems with any other core, I already tried to use a fresh install of Retroarch and to switch video drivers but it still stops working.

My OS is windows 10 and my video drivers are up to date, does anyone know a solution?

This is a known thing and was caused by an errant commit from last night. It should already be fixed if you re-download it from the online updater.

3 Likes

Thank you, I didn’t knew you recently updated again, it works now.

2 Likes

Now that @Sour is back in Mesen2 development I can’t wait for it’s core ^^

I wanted to play the astonishing Metroid HD repack that doesn’t work with the current core.

Tried to install Mesen2 in steamdeck, but had issues configuring controls, also, then I wouldn’t have retroachievements support T_T

I hope you find some time to update your awesome core for retroarch too!

you can open the hires.txt inside a HD pack and change the line (usual the very first)

" <ver 108"

just lower it till it works i think 106 is the last working value for the actual mesen core

with that you can still use any HDpack , i myself used it for i think metroid and megaman

you willl maybe miss out on some features (maybe animations or minor stuff … depends on how evolved the HDpack is …)

but even if there is stuff/features missing i couldn´t point to it while i was playing… :wink:

2 Likes