Missing save config option for MAME "Current" Core

The screenshot is not my MAME. I just wanted to show the save setting option that is missing from the RA MAME core.

Whatā€™s going on with this character in your ini file?
I prefer readconfig and writeconfig to be 1. If you want to set it once and not change it by mistake, I think it is better to set readconfig to 1 and writeconfig to 0.

However, unless there is a special case, I think it is better to set both to 1.
And is this about MAME Arcade?

The above story seems to be about MAME SL.

The latest RA MAME core does not require an ini file, once you launch an Arcade game, a cfg file is automatically created in the save folder and the controller mapping is automatically entered.

Isnā€™t RA MAME core too old?

Also, if you donā€™t want to update the RA MAME core, it may be worth copying the ui.ini from within MAMEā€™s ini folder.

Also, what folder is RetroArch in? If it is installed in a place other than the default, it may be blocked by security software, so there is also a way to exclude it with security software.

If you turn off Software List support, and use command line switches on instead, write config will write the switches to an ini.

This will let you use a much shorter command line, using read config.

Even if you use a lua script in place of boot commands, leaving the write config on has no Iā€™ll effect.

As I said above, I use system opt files with special settings, and a standard mame.opt.

For arcade games in general, there is no reason to use an ini file. That is why the default values are ā€œdisabledā€.

yes.
So Iā€™m guessing the core of RA MAME is old.

If not, Iā€™d suspect last resort, System regional issues such as Windows language location.

Is this the GP Rider?

left paddle? left wheel? was set from the left stick to the right stick, shutdown once, and started up, but it worked with the right stick without displaying the menu once.

Yes, that is GP Rider. You see, you have to manually input the directional settings via Input assignments(this system) whereas in standalone MAME, you can do all settings(directional or otherwise via Input assignments(general) and they will save.

Does this mean that the input assignments (This System) can be saved properly in standalone MAME, but not in RA MAME core?

Try updating the core of RA MAME. At least MAME 0.254 games seem to work fine.

Current RA MAME core seems to be 0.251.

Itā€™s basically 0.251 standard. So other 0.254 games may stop working. Back up your core and try the update.

Also, without ui.ini it is not possible to call the MAME main menu from RetroArch and assign inputs there as shown in the screenshot. It can be saved only in the sub menu after RetroArch + Arcade is started.

noā€¦

Regardless of ui.ini, you can call MAME main menue from RetroArch and think that input assignment is impossible in principle. Itā€™s possible if you try, but I think itā€™s going to be pretty complicated.

This shot from the RA MAME core is virtually identical to the menu you show in your standalone shot.

You get here by enabling ā€œBoot to OSDā€ in the opt and running a game.

1 Like

No go. Per game basis (input system) saves but (input assignments general) does not.

1 Like

I just made a random change to input, using ā€œGeneral Settingsā€ and it saved in /saves/cfg/default.cfg

1 Like

SUCCESS!!! enabling ā€œBoot to OSDā€ in the opt and running a game.- that was the trick. My mistake was doing that inside the file itself outside of RA but i did not notice that option within RA itself! Thank you to everyone that assisted me in this challenge!, i appreciate you all for taking the time to help me!

2 Likes

That is very good news! :partying_face:

Iā€™m glad you stuck with it until you got it working!