Multi Disc Games treated like different games (Beetle PSX)

All started when i loaded the game from CD2. Now i have this:

Now i have 2 Memory cards with different game progres, the same for Savestates. If i launch from disc 2 cant see savestates i made when playing on disc 1 and viceversa. Whats the proper settings to avoid this?

Using a .m3u file is recommended for multi-disc games. For Beetle PSX, you can also activate shared memory cards, but not the best choice imo.

2 Likes

Thanks, I never though i would need to mess with m3u files

If you don’t care about having a nice organized game structure but just want to play your games, you can also rename your save files (unless I’m mistaken, it should work) : CD1 -> CD2

1 Like

Well, now i got it working… but how to merge the savestates? At least there is no overwrite issues Slots 1-17 were from disc 1 and 17 -20 correspond to disc 2. Any way to combine them?

EDIT: My Bad, I never realized about the State folder, now i just need rename them individually. Thanks!

New Update: Sadly, all my stated while load, they get frozen. Not working anymore :sleepy:

Have you updated your core? Savestates are snapshots of the current situation game+core.
If something in the core changes then the state could not work anymore

I have the latest core version 0.9.44.1 and Retroarch 1.8.5 Old states not work with the m3u format

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/savestate

savestate ( plural savestates )

1. (computing, video games) A file that contains an emulator’s or virtualizer’s state at the moment it was saved to disk. The file contains the contents of the memory, registers and other pertinent data that allows the user to resume the application from the moment the file was created.

New core = old state not working
New rom/iso/bin/cue (different checksum)… = old state not working

Sorry, but the only way is: using the old core and create a memory card save. Load the memory card save with the new core and from then on you can beginn to make and use new save states.

Im in the exact situation thanthis guy from this topic: Chrono Cross - How to change disc? However, i cant make savestates work again, while him got it working just renaming them. Bad luck for me :frowning: Well, looks like i have to load again each Crono cross disk separatley in order to retrieve savestates.

Unfortunately, yes.
Sometimes state-related code changes and sometime not.

Do you have compiled cores before? If yes, you can try to checkout a older version and then load state -> make memorycard save -> update core.

Is the date (20/02/2020 - 28/03/2020) the actual date of your (formerly working) states?

Exactly thats the dates, also i made Retroarch to check for updates maybe 2 or 3 times, last update for mednafen psx core was 31/03, but that was not an issue for savestates, they stop working when changed to m3u. Its hilarious because sometimes when i Load the savestates the sound gets frozen, other times the music still playing, but sounds very weird, like a creepy remix, especially the CD2 state 18