Multi-tap console games

Has anyone had any success with recent builds playing with 3 or more players on the SNES or Genesis cores with games that support that many players or on Mednafen PSX? I’ve tried to no avail to get this working on windows or linux, if it doesn’t work I’d be willing to try and understand the code and work on a fix but my C++ skills aren’t great so I would like to know its definately not just me that isn’t configuring it right before I start trying to poke around and figure it out. I do have more players working on systems that natively support that many players (Mupen64 and MAME) so I know that 3+ controllers are being handled correctly by the front end.

I am going to ask a friend to bring his joypad and will report. Also interested in this. Can you name me a few games for 3 or 4 players to test?

Off the top of my head I tried super bomberman and secret of mana on SNES, FIFA and NHL hockey games on genesis and micro machines 3 and thrill kill on psx. There are full lists online of multi tap games for these systems which I’ll lookup when I get chance later.

yes, super mario kart, tmnt, for snes, mario kart 64 for N64, then yours for genesis and psx.

Super Mario kart and tmht are both only 2 player on the SNES I’m afraid. Micro machines 1 and 2 on SNES are 4 player I think and so are most of the ea sports games.

I see, I have mana, don’t worry. For the PSX I don’t have any game for 3 or more players support. I found these lists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Multitap http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showt … ayer-games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Four_Score

Here is the SNES list for reference too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNES_Multitap

I’ve just tested a new build of Snes9x from github and it seems that multitap now works on that core by setting the second input to being a multitap (looks like it was fixed upstream a little while ago). Still no joy with GensPlusGX or BSNES and it looks like Mednafen PSX doesn’t work either (latest beetle revision). Picodrive core doesn’t look like it supports multi-taps at all and I haven’t tried any of the NES cores.

Edit: Looks like GensGX Plus works with the teamplayer option on port 1 for games that support it, only the ones that need EA 4-wayplay support appear not to work which were the ones I had tested previously. Also, J-cart games appear to work as well (tested with Micromachines 2).

Edit: Okay, 4-wayplay does work for EA games, but you have to reset the emulator after “connecting” it from rgui or it doesn’t work (games must detect it at boot) since you can’t set core specific options for input until content has been loaded.

where is the teamplayer option? And what game do you want me to test for sega genesis? I was going to check Olimpic Gold. I already have some games chosen for snes, nes, and psx. I haven’t seen my friend so that’s why I didn’t reply, hopefully this weekend I have time.

Team player is one of the input options you can set the first two controllers to. There are 3 and 6 button versions, the one you pick will set all additional controllers to that mode. Same goes for 4-wayplay. You may need to reset the content after changing the settings for the game to pick up that it has more controllers. Same goes for SNES9x but only the second control port can be the multi-tap.

I’ve pushed patches to Mednafen-PSX that from my testing have fixed multi-tap support for that core so you will need a very recent build for that. The options for multi-tap in that core are still under Core options and again you may need to reset for a game to realise it has more controllers. The nightly windows release that lordashram produces isn’t up to date enough for this yet though I don’t think.

I didn’t see that option exposed really, is it too recent? So no need to run tests anymore? PSX and genesis fixed? or everything?

It might be too recent, the fixes in Genesis Plus GX were only merged in 19 days ago according to the git log, so you would need a very recent build and the PSX ones even more recently. lordashrams builds in the development forum are probably recent enough for the Genesis stuff, but not the PSX yet. I haven’t built a recent enough build for windows myself yet to ensure it all works for that platform, but under my linux build there are cores with working multi-tap support for at least SNES, Mega Drive and PSX. If you can build for windows its probably worth testing at least the PSX core to see if multiplayer input works for you there.

Finally got the chance to test. I used the last build (24-08) and I couldn’t get any system to work with multitap. Tried street racer with bsnes balanced but this core doesn’t support multitap right? In any case I’m not going to change core here because for snes I want cycle accurate emulation. Tested also on mednafen_psx, and with 3 controllers I wasn’t getting any input at all even with multitap_port2 enabled. For Genesis, I still don’t know where team player is. I enabled an option called “multitap”, but I only could play with 2 players. Forgot to test N64 with mario kart, but I guess this works fine right off the bat.

The latest mednafen works I have confirmed http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?titl … dnafen_PSX

So all I need is to set multitap on port 2 and I am good to go? I just observed that the required bios for scph5501 changed, this might have to do with the problems I had. For anyone interested it matches the MD5 of the SCPH7003. I will test soon at home and report back, but I need to know what’s necessary for the different systems since I’m in the blue.

For PS1, the multitap can normally be on either port, but I’ve tested it on port 1 successfully in beetle. Its a bit tempramental though, changing it and then restarting content doesn’t seem to work, I have to quit retroarch after changing it and then reloading. Not sure if the issue is the frontend or the core, but the core code looks okay to my addmittedly unskilled eyes. For most other cores, multitaps are exposed through the input settings interface and you set either port 1, 2 or both (depending on type of multitap) to be the multitap + whatever other control you would want in that port. Depending on the core you will probably have to restart content to get the game to recognize you now have a multitap attached, most don’t like hot plugging.

That means that option has to be checked in retro_init or retro_load… I’ll check that.

You shouldn’t need to restart retoarch though onlynloading the game again

Ok, I will check those when I have the chance and friend drops around. Hopefully the (multitap) settings get exposed in the config files.

It’s core dependent so I don’t think it’s gonna happen. In beetle-psx it’s a core option, In genesis plus gx it’s a device attached to a controller. It’s implemented differently by each author.

It’s core dependent so I don’t think it’s gonna happen. In beetle-psx it’s a core option, In genesis plus gx it’s a device attached to a controller. It’s implemented differently by each author.[/quote]

If you didn’t know core options are stored in this file “.retroarch-core-options.cfg”. Granted, not all of them.