Mupen 64 Plus core slow on Android?

Hi, I am on android 4.2.2 with a 1.6ghz device, tried some n64 games but all the games I have tried like Zelda Ocarina and Mario 64 run slow with bad audio, tried changing some settings like the video plugin, the cpu core to dynamic recompiler, changing the audio buffer size, the resolution and the gfx accuracy but still to slow to be playable, could anyone help giving some advice to run fullspeed? Or is the core too demanding for android? Thanks in advance.

Make sure rewind is disabled,use 640x480 resolution or smaller if you can look at it without cringing at the rasterizing,and don’t use any shaders. In reality,their core is actually faster than Mupen64Plus AE,at least on a Shield TV.

If u want to use mupen retroarch on Android try an older core, like the ones in the 1.0.0.2 archive.newest cores are quite slow especially on Android.

Otherwise use mupen ae app (works really well on my xperia z3c, unfortunately no save intercompatibility with retroarch)

Tried those settings in the Mupen core sadly every game runs too slow to be playable, also thanks for the suggestions is there any way to use the older mupen core without being root? Btw mupen ae plus runs every game at fullspeed on my device so thanks but Id really like to use retroarch.

retroben - I’d love to know what settings you have on both apps.

I’ve found the opposite to be true. On Mupen standalone, everything runs full speed with ease, and Retroarch Mupen struggles with a good handful of games (Goldeneye, PD, Extreme-G, and a few others).

In the Quick Menu --> Core Options, try this:

CPU Core = dynarec_recompiler Texture Filtering = nearest Resolution (restart) = 320x240 Buffer Swap = OFF

These settings should improve the speed, I can get something like 57~59 fps in the Samsung S4 mini (Super Mario 64). Using rice over auto (which is glide64) in GFX Plugin will improve the performance a little bit too, here I get 58.5~60 fps.

EDIT: Buffer Swap = OFF greatly improves performance, I can even play it with 640x480

[QUOTE=Dixxhead;33660]If u want to use mupen retroarch on Android try an older core, like the ones in the 1.0.0.2 archive.newest cores are quite slow especially on Android.

Otherwise use mupen ae app (works really well on my xperia z3c, unfortunately no save intercompatibility with retroarch)[/QUOTE]

Tried that Mupen 1.0.0.2 core but it makes retroarch crash when I load a game, tried mupenae and it works fullspeed on my device but I like retroarch any other versions of the core that work fast on android?

[QUOTE=sergio-br2;33970]In the Quick Menu --> Core Options, try this:

CPU Core = dynarec_recompiler Texture Filtering = nearest Resolution (restart) = 320x240

These settings should improve the speed, I can get something like 57~59 fps in the Samsung S4 mini (Super Mario 64). Using rice over auto (which is glide64) in GFX Plugin will improve the performance a little bit too, here I get 58.5~60 fps.[/QUOTE]

Sergio is absolutely correct with his assessment above… I noticed that when loading Mupen64+ initially, the CPU Core is set incorrectly by default. Anyone that reads this MUST alter the CPU Core to dynarec recompiler. I use a GPD XD and the games run flawless from my testing after altering a few settings from the get-go.

Hope this helps!

It’s set to dynarec so it doesn’t break whenever google or apple decides to not allow dynarecs.

Hi Radius using the latest nightly in an archos gamepad 2 and the Mupen core no longer works when loading a rom you only get a black screen and the android message of retroarch is not responding appears.

Using the latest nightly I still get a black screen and sometimes you just can hear the game music, tried changing some core settings but no luck.

Yeah it’s having some issues atm, I don’t know when it will be fixed.

Question about the Mupen 64 core, does RetroArch implement GlideN64 at all as the video plugin? I ask because I’m not a fan of Rice or the old Glide64 plugin at all.

Reading some of the commits,I can say it looks to be in the works. Too bad the core is currently broken atm. As far as I can get is DK64 showing the Nintendo logo and saying OK,then it sits at a black screen.

Edit: Updated the core and now won’t even boot it,immediate error.

Well that’s disheartening, I was looking forward to seeing a faster core for my Shield Tablet, guess I’m stuck with those precompiled builds -_- Because with these http://www.paulscode.com/source/Mupen64Plus-AE/AutoBuilds/ while they are more up to date than the one on Google Play, some games like Killer Instinct Gold run at 5-10 fps on the title screen, that’s pathetic, there’s no reason a Tegra K1 processor should run it that slow, unless I used a bad build, I don’t know.

Do you have any shaders enabled? They are unusable on N64 and bog down performance like rewind does when at 1 granularity.

The Mupen64Plus core ran super fast on Shield TV when it still worked,but only if you don’t use high resolutions,so you’d keep it at 640x480. It even ran fast on very high accuracy until some certain buffer effects are used for the accuracy. I could even have rewind enabled at 2 granularity and made it useful after the tip for increasing the rewind buffer as needed. Hope the problems can be fixed soon.

[QUOTE=retroben;35318]Do you have any shaders enabled? They are unusable on N64 and bog down performance like rewind does when at 1 granularity.

The Mupen64Plus core ran super fast on Shield TV when it still worked,but only if you don’t use high resolutions,so you’d keep it at 640x480. It even ran fast on very high accuracy until some certain buffer effects are used for the accuracy. I could even have rewind enabled at 2 granularity and made it useful after the tip for increasing the rewind buffer as needed. Hope the problems can be fixed soon.[/QUOTE]

I’ve only tried the standalone emulator and not RetroArch core yet. I also switched the plugin to Glide 64 10th anniversary and it helped tremendously with the games that struggled. I’d use Rice, but it royally jacks up some games like Mystical Ninja 64 (the HUD get corrupted/flipped and on PJ64, it affected audio, somehow). Anyways, I kept the resolution at 720p, though I’ll try 480p next, to see how it fairs. Do you think the Mupen core will ever fix these performance issues without having to lower the res?

I’ve been trying to use mupen64 core for a long time, when I realized that mupen for android has nighties builds I tried one and I was amazed how that is running smooth compared to what it was before and with the RA core, I’ll stay with that for a while until I notice RA core evolved that much, because I tend to prefer RA cores than standalone emulators, that’s a fact.

Might be a little off topic, but Mupen64Plus is the only core that shows up in the updater for me. It doesn’t run games at all, I just get a blank screen. All games are in the .n64 format and work with “mupen64plus_libretro”. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hmm, I haven’t used the most up to date version of that build yet, but I might, those seem to work pretty well, I think.