Mupen core screen hz problem

I’m playing Mario 64 on Mupen core and it stutters every few seconds. No options do anything.

Also, in video options it doesn’t detect 60hz. It shows 31 to 40 or 8hz of estimate for whatever reason.

I had this problem before when the core was still called “Glupen” and the author fixed it. Now the problem is back again.

Can you give any more information about when this was fixed? was there a github issue or did loganmc10 give you indication what was wrong?

I found the issue in github.

https://github.com/GLupeN64/GLupeN64/issues/162

There a version posted there that fixed the issue but the link its 404 :frowning: .

I will try to find it in any of my backups.

Ok, i found the fixed version. This one works great:

You can do the comparison. See how Mario 64 stutters every 5 seconds in the latest version and how smooth it is with this one in the link.

Any word about this issue?

Or is it only me?

It is because of this commit:

1 Like

@loganmc10 hey man, thanks for the heads-up! Ok, so it looks like we’re going to have to bring back the swap buffer stuff and figure out a better solution for that crash. Got any suggestions?

Hi there, loganmc10.

Thanks for dropping us that hint. Sorry for how things went down on my behalf.

The problem is “config.frameBufferEmulation.bufferSwapMode = Config::bsOnColorImageChange”.

That setting makes the core swap buffers the same as the original game, so for Mario 64, that is 30 FPS. Without that setting, the default is to swap buffers in line with the refresh rate, so roughly 60 FPS for NTSC.

What that means is that retro_run is happening at 30FPS, and RetroArch doesn’t seem to like that. It seems to cause other issues as well, like controllers not being auto detected, at least I ran into that.

I’m not sure why there was a crash, I never ran into that issue.

Ok, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks again!