[Mupen64Plus-Next] Threaded Renderer and 60 fps

Hi, this is a question about the “Threaded Renderer” option that is available in the Mupen64Plus-Next core when you select GLideN64 as your RPD Plugin.

With the “Threaded Renderer” option turned off, Retroarch reports that the game runs at 30 fps. With the option turned on, Retroarch reports that the game runs at 60 fps. Note that the only games I’ve tried so far with this core are Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. I don’t know if it’s like this with other games. Honestly, I’m unable to tell the difference between 30 and 60 in those two games in particular.

I’m confused about the 60 fps. Is this true 60 fps? I always assumed that the only way to play N64 games at 60 fps was with rom hacks/cheats.

No, it’s not creating new frames.

1 Like

Most of the time, when emulators report 60fps, it means the 60hz console is being emulated at 100% speed. Of course, 60hz doesn’t nesessarily mean 60 different frames per sec. Could be repeated frames once for 30 fps or twice for 20 fps. But the point is that all frames, including the duplicates, are emulated.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. If I get a constant 30 fps with “Threaded Renderer” turned off, is there any advantage to turning it on? Does having duplicate frames give any visual or performance benefit?

Not really. The big advantage of the threaded renderer is that it’s faster. If you don’t need that speed, you generally shouldn’t bother with it.

1 Like