Mupen64Plus - Turning off texture filters

In standalone you had the options “filtering = 2” or “ForceTextureFilter = 1” depending on core, as well as the options to force point sampling on mipmapping and turn off fog but I cannot figure out how to do any of these in the Retroarch core. “retroarch-core-options.cfg” has the options “txFilterMode = none” which doesn’t even work in some games like Paper Mario, while I just cannot find the right option for “BilinearMode = standard” (I tried point, nearest, off, false, 0, probably more I don’t remember). I have also tried converting the options from every core over using the “mupen64plus-*” format which didn’t work either. Is there a way to turn off texture filtering/fog in the Mupen64Plus core?

You may want the Parallel core instead - that has loads more options.

I wouldn’t mind trying it but my GPU isn’t supported by Vulkan. It is an ATI Radeon HD 5870. Thank you for responding though

We did some name shuffling recently. The current mupen64plus-libretro core is the old GLupeN64 core, which is just very-close-to-upstream mupen64plus with the gfx plugins hardcoded to GlideN64.

The old mupen64plus-libretro core, which had various gfx plugins and a bunch of options, was merged with the vulkan-only ParaLLEl RDP core and renamed to just ‘ParaLLEl-N64’. If you don’t have vulkan, you can still use the OpenGL gfx plugins.

I apologize if this is obvious, how would I switch to another graphics plugin with ParaLLEl? On run it crashes immediately and doesn’t appear to update “retroarch-core-options.cfg”

Hmm, we’d probably need to see a log to guess what’s happening.

Generated with “retroarch.exe --menu --verbose >> log.txt 2>&1” https://pastebin.com/eSZ8KMx8

Hmm, that looks mostly okay. It only has one error when it looks for vulkan and then can’t find it, but that shouldn’t matter (I get the same error but it starts up fine for me).

Can you try moving your config and retroarch-core-options.cfg files out of your retroarch folder and try again with fresh configs to see if that fixes anything?

You could also try manually specifying a gfx plugin through your retroarch-core-options.cfg file with: parallel_n64-gfxplugin = “auto” <- change “auto” to glide, gln64 or rice

I decided to try updating my Retroarch when I noticed it was from a version 5 days before latest. I think it replaced my Retroarch.cfg which I foolishly forgot to move so it must have been an issue with that. ParaLLEl runs now, I apologize for forgetting to move this configuration file. Next I will try and find a way to turn off these settings, if I can I will mention what I changed here and if I can’t I will come back begging for help. Thank you very much

The issue turned out to be my custom viewpoint, which was 1366x768 while I was on my 1920x1080 monitor, set in the video settings of Retroarch. If I switch to the intended monitor it all works out fine I just wasn’t testing on the TV. Anyways “parallel_n64-filtering = “nearest”” is accepted as an option, as in it doesn’t reset after running, but it doesn’t actually change anything as far as I can tell

It should sample all of the textures with nearest neighbor, but some people have reported it being “sticky” and not changing when it’s supposed to. Make sure you exit the game and relaunch (hell, maybe quit all the way out of RetroArch, just to be sure) and see if that helps.

Anyway, glad you got it going :slight_smile:

I have tried doing that multiple times but it isn’t working, at least not for Super Mario 64 or F-Zero X. F-Zero X has non-filtered menus and text, but is like this regardless of the configuration option and is still filtered ingame