Neko Project II kai (PC-9801) core (different nekop2, meowPC98)

Could you make it possible for text hooking like NPTH?

http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1498&hilit=npth https://www.acgwolf.com/viewthread.php?tid=50043 NPTH`s information are here.

Did you try NP2’s menu(not RetroArch’s) -> ‘Option’ -> ‘Fontrom hook’?
Then text will output to ‘hook_fontrom.txt’ file in BIOS directory.
(It often miss to text taking. Incompletely. Recommend retake to good.)

Text output function is only to file now. But it make to some streams, it’s funny.

I didn’t know about NPTH! Thanks.

With Ref to issue #136. Some old games are showing graphical distortions, they show multiple images superimposed on each other. By changing “DIPswtch = 3e f3 7b” to “DIPswtch = 3e 73 7b” in np2kai.cfg games which had distorted images work correctly BUT many other games (mostly old) then start showing graphical distortions (e.g. Xevious).

Is it possible to make botth sets of game work at same time? Or create an option in Retroarch NP2Kai menu where we could select one dipswitch and save it for specifc games?

Ok, so worked on the priblem a little bit more and its definately due to GDC. Some games work well with GDC set to 5.0 MHz others with GDC set to 2.5 MHz. So one set will break whenever GDC is modified. It would be really helpful if we could get another GDC option in np2kai Retroarch options menu which allows to set GDC to either 2.5 MHz or 5.0 MHz. Creating a "game override: would allow both sets of games to work.

1 Like

What are the debugger/reverse engineering options for PC-98 using Neko Project II kai?

I’d like to extract 3D course data from T&E SOFT golf games. It seems to be compressed on disk. Example file: https://file.io/ZGtQyFWBUVv6 (16 KB)

This is hole 1 from Eight Lakes GC:

Is it possible to create some sort of ahk or command to insert a floppy after a set amount of time. For example, some games don’t allowPC98 to boot if the floppy is inserted. Instead, you need to boot to DOS from the hard disk and THEN insert the floppy disk. The problem is, I want to streamline the experience and avoid having to require knowing the name of the rom and scrolling through the directory to find it when inserting the disk.

I wholeheartedly support this need!

How can I load .zip games formatted as .ccd, .img, and .sub file?

Those are not supported extensions for this core even unzipped so I’m not sure why you expect them to load.

If you are asking about another core I’m fairly certain the answer is the same.

I see. Do you know which format I should convert these to in order to use them on this core?

edit: a lot of PC-98 CD games are distributed in this format by the way.

1 Like

I don’t think CD emulation is supported by the core, or any PC-98 emulator, though I would be glad to be proven wrong. The PC-88 also supported CDs but only one emulator supports them. (Not the Quasi88 in RA.)

For the PC-98 it will have to be floppy or HDD images.

You can see a list of supported file extensions by loading the core and going to the information setting, or loading the core *.info in a text editor.

It is not unusual, for preservation and future proofing, for unsupported dumps to be released into the wild.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to make the Open… directory always be the folder from which the game was opened instead of system/np2kai?

CD is supported through .cmd file. cue+bin and ccd+img+sub both work fine in my test. I posted a demo of this core running Policenauts on reddit recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/tkr8by/policenauts_1994_pc9821_retroarch_with_neko/

One version requires loading floppy, harddisk image, and CD at the same time during boot-up because some game files are installed to harddrive. Another version only needs floppy with CD because MS-DOS and game files (not the entire game, only some essential stuff) are both on floppy.

np2fmgen (http://nenecchi.kirara.st/) also supports CD (I use “np21nt.exe” inside for Policenauts). It uses “Harddisk > IDE #2” to mount CD images, which is a bit confusing.

1 Like

The only way I know is to use a .m3u file and load this .m3u inside .cmd text file like this -

np2kai game.m3u

In RetroArch, you can start .cmd with NP2Kai core. Once in the game, the “Open…” dialog box will immediately open the directory where .m3u is located.

In fact, you can even manually add “m3u” to np2kai_libretro.info as supported format and load .m3u directly through RetroArch’s UI (so there’s no more need for .cmd). It seems to work fine for multi-floppy games even though not officially supported. I was able to swap disks in FDD2 using “Quick Menu > Disc Control”.

2 Likes

Interesting. :grin: Glad to be proven wrong. I guess any file can be passed the the core on the command line independent of the extensions in the *.info.

@2V3EvG4LMJFdRe Given this information, the syntax (Or similar) that you need for the zip can be found in this thread.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/load-files-from-archive-subdirectory-mean-multiple-files-in-a-file/36463/2

It;s possible that editing the *.info and adding ccd as an extension may be enough.

1 Like

Is it possible to use Sound Canvas VA with Neko Project II kai core?

I have setup RetroArch MIDI output to Sound Canvas VA in retroarch which is working with DOSBox Prue with Frontend MIDI driver setting within the core settings. However, I couldn’t find similar setting in Neko Project II kai core and same with Neko Project II core and was wondering if it’s even possible to make it work on the RetroArch core?

I know there was an update that brought Sound Canvas support to the standalone Neko Project II emulator but not sure if it’s also available with the core. But if it’s there please enlighten me.

Hi, does anyone know why m3u support was removed from np2kai?

Should I now use cmd files for multidisk games?

just a note to say this core currently missing on Mac/arm64 but can easily be self-built.

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/15156 (includes core download)

Hi, is there a way to map retropad’s buttons?

I was trying to play Mystic Square but the “slow down” button is the left shift key, and not assigned to any retropad button.

the emulator use button 1 and 2 and they are mapped on retropad A-B but also mirrored in X-Y. So maybe having some other remap options would be useful: shift or ctrl, maybe enter?

The only thing I found is this line in np2kai.cfg present in /system/np2kai

lrjoybtn = 11 01 12 01 14 01 13 01 78 00 7a 00 20 00 32 01 08 00 2f 01 1b 00 0d 00

no ideas otherwise :thinking:

After checking the libretro page of np2kai, I noticed that there are some keyboard buttons mapped to retropad in case we choose Joy2Key (Arrows) or Joy2Key (Keypad). unfortunately there is no Left Shift key (there is left ctrl and right shift :sob: )

Anyway, regardless of choosing, in the core options, arrows, keypad or atari joypad, there are no options to map any retropad’s key (quick menu -> controls -> port 1 controls -> all options are blank) in the usual unified way.