Nesguy's masks. Feedback wanted

That’s good to hear. How are the slotmasks looking? I’ve mitigated the mask strength quite a bit in those, it’s at about 70%. I feel the slotmask effect is more forgiving of mask mitigation than the fine aperture grille

1 Like

I set my shaders up so they have the nostalgia factor with the scanlines, but also more modern… crisp, bright, etc…

But I wouldn’t ask or suggest that someone else do the same because it isn’t very authentic.

1 Like

I think they all look great.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you for the valuable feedback! The slotmasks are probably more appropriate for a casual user or someone who likes higher-than-CRT brightness levels. The aperture grille can be made brighter by lowering the mask strength, but you really lose a lot of that nice granularity when you do that.

My monitor doesn’t have FRC, it is just pure 8 bits.

1 Like

Odd. Is it a TN Panel? What happens if you lower the mask strength by a notch or two?

Mask strength 98% and 1.05 post brightness does the trick, I think. Maintains a lot of the granularity in bright areas while giving a nice little boost to brightness. It’s almost on par with the slotmask presets now, I think.

2 Likes

I had a display advertised as with an 8 bit panel but it turned out it was 6+2 after some digging. A possible explanation is your used resolution triggered interlacing, but this maybe isn’t the case. Otherwise it’s the display causing the flickering in any case because it isn’t coded in the shaders (beside interlacing, ntsc effects…).

1 Like

I’ve been working on this off and on all day with no significant improvement. I’m convinced that this is bright enough as is, with a base of ~250-300 nits. :man_shrugging:

People are of course free to tweak this however they see fit. Lower the mask strength and lose mask grain in highlights, crank up the brightness and clip the highlights, do weird things with gamma, have at it!

4 Likes

How is this preset called in mega bezel?

I don’t know what i’m doing in general,

1 Like

This is not a Mega Bezel preset as far as I know. You might find it in the links in the first post.

What are you doing or rather trying to do?

what i was trying to do back then it was to adjust my brightness and color saturation for it to look better alongside using ntsc filter, i’m no longer doing that as i do not require anymore to search for pvm or megatron looks with my new crt monitor setup

1 Like