New RetroArch Overlay - Playstation!

Since discovering RetroArch a few weeks ago I’ve been using the ‘box-ps-with-diagonals’ overlay for almost every core, due to the size and position of it’s hitboxes - it just feels ‘right’. But I found it takes up a little too much screen real-estate, so I decided to create a super simplistic overlay with almost the exact same hitboxes and a few improvements. Here are some screenshots:

And I made a portrait version too:

The hitboxes for the controls are exactly the same as ‘box-ps-with-diagonals’ except the hitboxes for the shoulder buttons (L1, L2, R1, R2) are slightly larger. There is also a HIDDEN BUTTON, directly underneath the “square button”, which triggers the “X button” (don’t worry, the normal “X button” is still there too). Why? Because the "X button is too far away for you to press whilst keeping you finger on the “square button” - which seems to be needed a lot in games.

For example in spyro the dragon holding “Square” will make Spyro run, and pressing “X” whilst running makes Spyro do a running jump. There are countless other examples, eg. In Mega Man X, you can charge your buster and jump at the same time. So basically, just hold square and roll your thumb down a little to jump or whatever, whilst still holding square.

You can also access the menu from the quickmenu.

Here’s the download link for the overlays, make sure you click " Click here to start download from sendspace" and not any of those stupid download button advertisments:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k29c98

Just save the files on your sdcard and in input options, select input overlay, browse to the location where you placed the files, and select the overlay.

That looks really nice. I’ll try it out :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

That looks really nice.

We could possibly include that if you’d like.

Minimalist but nice !

I’ve test it and i feel comfortable with.

Is there a way to bring up that menu when using a controller in the Android version? I have not seen a menu in RetroArch that has only these settings presented so nice. Being able to change save state slots and save/load states quickly would be a nice feature. The only menu I know how to bring up is the green RGUI which has a ton of stuff in it and isn’t touch based so takes longer to navigate.

I use RetroArch on an nVidia Shield (Android) so I don’t see any touch elements once the core starts.

@Shifted Not directly, as that’s one of the overlay menus. You could make a custom overlay image the erases all of the buttons except for the one button that goes to that menu…

Thanks, I may give it a shot. Having a real small icon in the lower right of the screen wouldn’t be so bad. A transparent button would be even better…

Thanks.

That would be great!