New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Can confirm that it’s just a black screen on Steam Deck. :frowning:

2 Likes

Try switching the driver to glcore instead of vulkan, that should fix it right up. Welcome to the forum by the way.

I will try that out, thank you for the welcome!

1 Like

I have just downloaded and tested the newest versions and indeed, on the Steam Deck its very dark, almost black screen. Setting it to glcore makes it work, but I prefer Vulkan. Can this be fixed with Vulkan?

BTW there are a lot of advancements with phases and such. Impressive stuff! You guys make playing emulated games better this way.

2 Likes

You liking the new ntsc 3-phase composite presets?? I think they came out lovely and go perfect with it’s partner “2-phase”. I should have had “3-phase” included a long time ago, snes, nes, sega master system look they way they should with that preset instead of the one that was always included that gives the Sonic waterfall. I was trying to get away with a “one size fits all” composite preset but now my preset pack feels more complete with the two composite presets.

Yeah this is a common issue from users on AMD pcs and Steam Decks from what I’ve been seeing so far, thing is I can’t even reproduce the issue cause I game on Android (Nvidia Shield TV) and it works out the box for me on vulkan. @guest recommended a user above that had this issue to swap out passes one by one with the stock pass but I don’t know if that fixed it.

3 Likes

just tried glcore and it worked for me without adjusting the contrast to 0. :slight_smile: But as the other one have said, would have preferred to use Vulcan, but hey it’s working :slight_smile: About the ‘passes’ you mentioned, what do you mean by that? Sorry for the ignorance.

1 Like

Well according to this post by @guest.r you have to replace each pass with the stock shader one by one. I’ve never done this myself since my presets works for me with no issues so I’m curious to see what results that would bring.

1 Like

So I finally solved a long time issue I’ve been having ever since I’ve started using the “mame_ntsc” shader in my composite ntsc 2-phase presets, the constant “twitch” that happens every few seconds on the screen. At first I didn’t mind it because I only had one composite preset in my pack but with the addition of the new “3-phase” presets I’ve included which doesn’t have that "twitching"effect on the screen I now want the “2-phase” presets to look just as smooth, clean and twitch free as the 3-phase composite preset. I solved this by changing one number in the mame ntsc shader by going to:

shaders_slang/crt/shaders/mame_hlsl/shaders/old/shaders/mame_hlsl/shaders/mame_ntsc

Open “mame_ntsc” with any editor program and scroll down until you get to this section:

Where I have the number “119” highlighted simply change that number to “0” so that it looks like this:

Save it, close it out then load up any game with the composite ntsc 2-phase shader and you will no longer experience that annoying “twitch”

@hunterk is there anyway to make that switch of those numbers in that shader coding a permanent thing? I’m not sure what purpose that “twitch” effect was suppose to serve in that mame ntsc shader setting but it works a lot better without it.

2 Likes

I don’t know why they would want to have a twitch in there, but I just ported the code over 100% identically wherever possible.

4 Likes

I’m not sure why either. I’ve been trying forever to get rid of that twitch by just playing with the shader parameters but that got me nowhere until I finally decided to dig into the shader code itself and narrowed it down to that one number there. That twitch was so annoying but I finally got rid of it, would love it if users that use my shader pack won’t have to experience that effect going forward without having to go through shader coding.

@hunterk how long should I wait before I can update my slang shaders with that new mame ntsc coding tweak?

Edit: For anyone using my composite ntsc 2-phase presets please update your slang shaders, a long time issue has been resolved that you can read about a few posts above.

3 Likes

I want to put it in the slang folder and apply it, but it says ‘no item’, what should I do?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. You should also make sure your driver is set to vulkan as well. If by chance using vulkan gives you a black screen then use glcore.

Thanks, I’ll try changing to Vulkan

1 Like

New Version Release (01/13/2023)

Changes Made

• First update of the new year :partying_face:

• Retweaked scanline, filter, deconvergence and glow settings on all presets, both svideo and rgb presets are a little smoother looking and not as sharp as the previous release after turning both horizontal and vertical “glow sigma” up from .25 to .50.

• Changed the “Interlace Mode” from default 4.00 to 3.00, that setting smooths interlaced content out more especially on pixelated games like Marvel vs Capcom 2.

• Recently there was a issue with the composite ntsc 2-phase presets where the screen would “twitch” every few seconds, that was caused by a error in the “mame_ntsc” shader I was using for those presets. That issue has been fixed by @hunterk a few days ago. For the fix to take effect all you have to do is update your slang shaders.

You can grab the lateset pack in the first post.

8 Likes

Gave it a quick look, great update!

2 Likes

Great stuff fella!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I appreciate the love guys. Somehow I managed to make these presets even brighter than the last ones, I think everything came together nicely for the most part, was experimenting a bit here and there tweaking things. My ultimate goal is to get even thicker scanlines while keeping moire to a minimum without interger scaling, probably impossible to do but I think I get a little closer here and there lol

4 Likes

I’m new to this whole shaders, does updating simply means copying and overwriting the previous version?

2 Likes

Yes. Delete the old folder (or keep it if you want) and put the current one in. I hope you enjoy my presets, also take a look around the forum there’s a couple other guys here that also have some amazing looking shader presets that you can try out.

1 Like

So I was messing around and wanted to see what my presets looked like with an upscaler shader so I chose “xbrz-freescale” and this is the result. Here’s how my presets currently look:

Here’s after adding xbrz:

Could this be the potential evolution for the sonkun presets? I don’t know but it’s a nice little “what if” if anything. This also doesn’t upscale interlaced content either, I would probably have to use the scale fx shader instead to cover that ground.

Download the sample pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file/cq67gnuplyjjbso/sonkun-guest-hd-xbrz-freescale-rgb-test.zip/file

3 Likes