New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

then add the link back because if something goes wrong people can get it from the source

1 Like

Yeah I may have to do that, glad we were able to help resolve their issue. Tell you what since her case seems to be the only one of its kind so far, if another situation like that user pops up again I’ll just add the link back. You said those two guest slang files (gaussian I believe?) don’t download into the guest hd folder no matter how many times you update your slang shaders, I don’t know if it’s a bug like you said but maybe @guest.r will see this and possibly take a look into the matter. Everything works on my end simply by updating my slang shaders but that doesn’t seem to be the case for you.

it is a odd bug that happens sometimes this time i was not the victim but someone other

1 Like

Is it still working with the latest guest r?

1 Like

Yes it does. His latest shader has been pushed upstream as well so there’s no need to manually download his latest pack, you can now simply update your slang shaders through RetroArch and my pack should work with it.

2 Likes

Just updated my pack with guest.r’s latest shader update so for anyone using my preset pack you can update to his latest shader update (version 2023-07-11-r1) with no issues.

3 Likes

I’m in a purist mood, so I’m trying out these shaders. They’re pretty good, though I wonder why the S-Video presets doesn’t seem to use any kind of NTSC shader. Isn’t that how S-Video is typically represented, being a NTSC signal? Curious as to your reasoning (or if I’m misunderstanding S-Video)

1 Like

Yeah I use to think the same way you did too. The truth is s-video doesn’t blend like a ntsc signal, in fact it’s more closer to a rgb like signal, think rgb but not as sharp. Svideo dosen’t do things like blend the sonic waterfall etc, in fact you get the “jail bar” look on a accurate svideo signal.

As a added bonus though I did add in the sgenpt-mix multpass shader to my svideo presets to blend checkerboard dithering for games like Silent Hill and Saturn games.

Yeah, I took the time to do some more reading and forgot to edit my post. You’re right, S-Video is very close to RGB, the main difference is that it has composite’s duller colors. A couple of extra examples for the thread:

6 Likes

Perfect example, thanks for posting that. Yeah I definitely didn’t want dull colors in my svideo presets so vibrant colors is another bonus to my presets.

2 Likes

Back in the lab excited as ever. Whipped up my first new Slot Mask RGB presets using the new grade and latest guest shader update with the new base mask feature.

So far I’ve only put together “cool” temperature versions (the new grade shader is a different beast than the old one, you really gotta tweak different settings to get the look you want), I’ll start working on a neutral/warm version soon, still tweaking this one.

Try them out here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/q46vcf8zs7usfz3/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-cool-samples-v5-7-21-2023.zip.zip/file

Unzip and place the presets directly into your shaders folder.

This pack works strictly with @guest.r’s new shader update (version 2023-07-17-r1) so please be sure to update to that first before trying out the presets

Edit: Made some quick changes so if you downloaded it please grab it again. New one should say “v2” on the pack.

Edit 2: Did one more edit. “V3” is up now.

Edit 3: Decided to do one more edit, this should be the last one. “V4” is now up.

Edit 4: One more update, “v5” is now up

12 Likes

it’s eye candy i love it

1 Like

Wow, those Darkstalkers shots look lovely. By they way, did you read my comments on P22J? I read some Nanao MS-2930s service manual and the device is designed for 9700K (0.285000,0.285000), that translates into 10000K for my white point function.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m kind of in love with this new look here lol. I think this looks waaaay better than the “u-cool-rgb” preset that’s in my current available pack.

By the way I did one more edit as well that you can download above in the same post, just put up version 4. That may be the final version that will be included in my next preset update pack.

test v4

7 Likes

Nice man. Try out version 5 that I just put up. For this one I lowered the mask gamma setting down to 1.0 which brings the mask out more making it a appear a bit sharper looking while also giving the overall image a small brightness boost, it’s a small subtle change but I think it makes everything look better.

Grab the link in the same post up above.

1 Like

test v5 good job sonkun

5 Likes

Thank you. Looking at these shots makes me realize I’m definitely heading in a different direction with my presets this time around. Those pics alone don’t look like any of my past work from any past packs. I’m not sure how these will all come out looking in the end but I’m definitely excited to see how this all plays out.

My first stab at “warm” slot mask rgb variants using the new grade shader just to get the ball rolling:

Try them out here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gwtq7yt1jbdnmiq/sonkun-guest-advanced-new-grade-slotmask-warm-samples-7-21-2023.zip/file

Same as above, unzip and place them in the “shaders” folder

5 Likes

**New Release Version (2023-07-30-r1) +shader V5

2 Likes