[nightly] No more Super Gameboy?

I have been trying to get Super Gameboy games working with the bSNES Accuracy core, and in the Stable version this seems to work well - only I would prefer not to be running the Stable version as there are some improvements made to the Nightly builds that I would like to take advantage of.

When I use -g or --gameboy, I just get a “Fatal error received in: parse_input()” message now. I’ve done a lot of searching and looked through the --help option, but can’t see a way to get this working now.

Was this intentionally removed? Is there a new method to load games with a Super Gameboy?

I am seeing the same issue. Same goes for mame and mess. CLI no longer works.

Those two are not related at all. Yes the SGB and the SUFAMI switches are gone, it should work with subsystem but I’m not sure the current incarnation of bsnes has SGB support

MAME doesn’t use a frontend feature to make it work so it has nothing to do with this.

[QUOTE=Radius;22187]Those two are not related at all. Yes the SGB and the SUFAMI switches are gone, it should work with subsystem but I’m not sure the current incarnation of bsnes has SGB support

MAME doesn’t use a frontend feature to make it work so it has nothing to do with this.

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/pull/636[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I agree mame and mess is not related to this, was just saying the cli no longer works :). I got a little farther, our frontend script was configured to load “Super Game Boy (World).sfc” which does not work and on top of that it was before the subsystem command (this worked in the past). Instead i loaded the “sgb.boot.rom” which got me a little farther however, I am getting this:

C:\ARCADE\Emulators\Retroarch\Nightly\retroarch.exe  -c "C:\ARCADE
\Emulators\Retroarch\Nightly\configs\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll.cfg" -L "C:\ARC
ADE\Emulators\Retroarch\Nightly\cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll" --subsystem s
gb "Z:\Arcade\Roms\Nintendo Game Boy\Aladdin (USA).zip" "C:\ARCADE\Emulators\Ret
roarch\Nightly\system\sgb.boot.rom"
RetroArch [WARN] :: config_load_core_specific :: Core-specific config not found,
 reusing last config.
RetroArch [WARN] :: patch_content :: Did not find a valid content patch.
[bsnes]: Markup SGB:
[bsnes]: Markup GB: cartridge
  board type=MBC1
  rom name=program.rom size=0x40000

[bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 7, Request "manifest.bml".
[bsnes]: Complete load request.
[bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 6, Request "".
[bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 45, Request "manifest.bml".
[bsnes]: [Memory]: ID 46, Request "program.rom".
RetroArch [ERROR] :: dylib_load :: Failed to load library, error code: 0x7e

Any help tracking down the correct magic to get this to work would be appreciated.

That’s the same I get, actually for me it loads but all I get is a black screen, I checked the code and the core has subsystem implemented so I dunno why it would fail

I regressed it and the last working version of RA for X64 that has Super Game Boy working is March 17th. It is an executable problem, not a core problem.

How did you load in that version? with subsystem?

retroarch.exe [path to SGB ROM] --subsystem sgb [path to gameboy rom]

When executed on any build past March 17th, Retroarch crashes.

ok I’ll try to investigate

so retroarch -L bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll sgb.boot.rom --subsystem sgb Megaman.gb should work? I get a black screen Maybe my bios is wrong? I need to be able to make it work to justify backtracking over 3 months worth of commits

EDIT: fixed, should work now

Confirmed fixed on the 05/11 nightly executable. Thank you!

[QUOTE=Radius;22317]so retroarch -L bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll sgb.boot.rom --subsystem sgb Megaman.gb should work? I get a black screen Maybe my bios is wrong? I need to be able to make it work to justify backtracking over 3 months worth of commits

EDIT: fixed, should work now

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/149537/Screenshots/RetroArch-0509-230006.png[/QUOTE]Any pointers as to what was required to get this working? I’m just getting a black screen.

Just the correct sgb BIOS

With thanks to Radius, I got this working. It’s not the Super Game Boy BIOS which was wrong, but it only seems to be working with v1.0 of the Super Game Boy ROM and not the later revisions or the Super Game Boy 2.

Unfortunately - and I don’t know if this is a bug in v1.0 or the emulation - but Donkey Kong '94 won’t load. I get sound, but just a black screen when it tries to load the borders. Regular GameBoy games work fine (but for those, I prefer to use the gambatte core) and one or two other SGB-enhanced titles also seem to be working, so it’s not that all SGB-enhanced titles are broken.

DK’94 works without any problems using the Super Game Boy 2 ROM in the Stable build.

Unless that core used gambatte there is no reason for that. Do savestates work on that core?

[QUOTE=Radius;22506]Unless that core used gambatte there is no reason for that. Do savestates work on that core?[/QUOTE]Savestates are working in both the stable build (1.0.0.2) and the nightly build.

Stable build loading DK’94 via the Super Game Boy 2 (SGB2 offers different borders and is supposed to be more accurate)

The Nightly build loads Mega Man V just fine with the SGB 1.0:

The Nightly build boots with DK’94 but then displays a “black screen” when it tries to load the SGB borders. The game is still running, as I can hear it go through the “attract mode”. If I brighten up the “black screen” in Photoshop, it basically froze just before turning completely black:

The Nightly build will only boot with the SGB 1.0 rom, the Stable build will work with any. Stable SGB 1.0 Stable SGB2

Well if the old core had gambatte there is not much I can do. That was changed by byuu himself at some point, he removed gambatte and includes his own emulator.

Can you test in stand-alone higan?

[QUOTE=Radius;22545]Well if the old core had gambatte there is not much I can do. That was changed by byuu himself at some point, he removed gambatte and includes his own emulator.[/QUOTE]I think my stable build is using bSNES93 while the Nightly is at bSNES94 Would that explain the difference then?

Hey dude, Listen, I am trying to make Super Game Boy Games Load on Retroarch. Will there be a bSNES Super Game Boy Core that uses the SGB.SFC file in the System Directory as the Super Game Boy Bios? Basically what I am thinking is that the “SGB.SFC” bios will be used as the base cart and the Game Boy Cart will be used as the game that will run on the Super Game Boy.

Hey dude, read the thread. There are instructions already here