No .info file for Neo Geo CD Core

Today the core is no more on the buildbot. I looked for neocd_libretro.dll.zip on the buildbot, and it’s not there. Anybody knows what happened?

EDIT: Sorry it was me and my browser not making a good search. The core is there. I downloaded it, downloaded the .info file, and tested several games. Seems to work very well. It supports save-states and Run-Ahead pretty well. The loading times are almost inexistent (sometimes instantly and sometimes you can see the loading screen for half a second), and everything appears to be working well.

Maybe it’s a good time to switch from fbneo to neocd for this system, and chd my games.

Greetings.

3 Likes

YUP - this is the one.

I just got it running with a bios pack from MAME (not ‘all’ the ‘optional’ BIOS) and it took everything I threw at it. CHD support, skip loading screens, BIOS boot sequence… This is perfection from what I can tell so far. With this core in place, I can finally consider Neo Geo CD finished in my build, which means I can mark off SNK entirely.

MVS, AES, CD, Pocket, and Pocket Color are all working beautifully in RetroArch for me now.

2 Likes

Found Re-Dump for Neo Geo CD Games and they worked.

@Neofuuma would converting the files with .mp3 be turned into a CHD that Works? Can you Convert the MP3 Files to wav/flac/ogg format?

I tried CHD files and it Worked

@DaveTheMan1985 It would probably be easier to redownload a ReDump version, then compress to a CHD, honestly. It might be possible to get it from ISO/Mp3 to bin/cue, and then to CHD, but i’ve never personally tried that path.

1 Like

Thanks for tip @Neofuuma

I just find the ReDump Versions and just use those then

Good to see the .info file has been fixed to the Right Name on the Buildbot

1 Like

They games themselves are identical but they often (not always) have arranged redbook soundtracks. Sometimes they have an omake/bonus option on the main menu with some artwork. Fighting games sometimes have a “training” option too. But there’s really not much difference other than the music.

2 Likes

MP3 --> WAV … :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Neo Turf Masters have more Playing Options.

Sidekick Sidekicks 3 has other options as well like playing a Exhibition Game

Dare say there are other Games with extra options on the Neo Geo CD

lol I mean, you’re not wrong, but good luck mounting an MP3 based image on anything.

Do Any Cores or Emulators accept .mp3 files in .cue Files?

Please don’t make false statements : there are frames removed from animations, missing sprites, smaller sprites, effects removed, …

Some obvious example from one of the most butchered games, last blade 2 :

I’m not enough of a snk music fan to prefer sound over graphics and no loading time, which makes samsho RPG the only neogeo cd game i might play someday, but everyone has different tastes.

2 Likes

and IF you buying the Games it be lot cheaper on a CD then the Cartridges

Yeah, because the cartridge was basically a secondary console you plugged into the main console (hence the better graphics). On a sidenote, the ngcd gamepad is one of the best gamepad i ever used.

1 Like

Yeah, I know, but what I feel is that disk images dumps with lossy encoded audio tracks need to go for good.

It’s disgusting listening to a lossless audio track that sounds like a lossy one, it’s disgusting and cancerous from the “preservation of history” standpoint.

Raine supports .mp3 + .cue

Honestly I don’t know how anyone can hear the difference. It sounds identical to me… but an audiophile I am not, and I know what you are describing is a thing none-the-less… makes me want to re-examine the way I’m curating these files…

I mean, surely there MUST be a method to retain 1:1 quality audio from the original disc while still having a .bin/.cue (and then, if applicable, .chd) format…

In this regard though, is .mp3 even on-par with CD-Quality? I know I’ve heard people scoff at .mp3 and go for .flac audio instead. (Again though, I can’t tell the difference… part of why this never occurred to me in the first place.)

1 Like

I tried that but I find there no Music in the Background. Just get Sound Effects