No Sound from HDMI on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi,

Just getting started with RA and it’s fantastic to get all my childhood favourites running again, but I have no sound.

Installed via Flatpack and tried all the audio drivers available.

aplay -l output is as follows:

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
 card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I’ve tried setting audio_device to:

hw:1,3
hw:1,7
hw:1,8
hw:1,9

and all the audio drivers but no sound on any games (NES or SNES emulators) through the HDMI cable. Other Ubuntu sounds come through OK.

Help?

Thanks, GD

hi, if you are getting other sounds from Ubuntu thru the HDMI then the issue is in RetroArch. Go to the drivers and change the sound driver to pulseaudio (pretty sure it is being used in Ubuntu 16.04) and restart RetroArch. I have had this issue before and this always works.

Thanks, I’ve set audio to pulse (pulseaudio wasn’t an option) and tried all the audio_device settings again, and still nothing…

Cheers GD

Try to put Alsa as audio driver then reset your audio device (by pressing Space) in Setting tab > Audio > Audio device and select the correct one.

Fantastic! It’s working.

Although none of the left/right selectable options worked, I had to go into the cfg file and manually add (via trial and error) the various options from

aplay -L

ending up with an audio_device prefixed hw: (as opposed to hdmi: as available in the gui).

Thanks for the help!