Not yet ported open source emulators you want to see in RetroArch?

Also, how many open source emulators haven’t been ported yet? Are any of these any better than the ones already in the list of cores?

One that i can think of right now is Project 64. This emulator has been open source for a while now but it seems like nobody cares about it being in RetroArch. I believe this emulator is superior than Mupen in almost every way. I have been testing the standalones for years now and i don’t remember a single game that runs on Mupen and can’t run on Pj64 (especially the latest version) but i can think of a few games that don’t even boot in Mupen and play very well on Pj64 (World Driver Championship and Stunt Racer 64 being the ones i care the most).

Other than that i can’t think of anything else though, except maybe the atari800 emulator that just got a very nice core for Atari 5200 support (although still not in the online updater).

Would like to see some more ports of open source games, stuff like OpenTyrian and SuperTux.

PJ64’s code is in worse shape for our purposes than mupen64plus’ was/is. Their frontend code is all mixed up with their backend code, and it would be very difficult to split them apart.

I know we have Gameboy Emulators, already but I’d love to see a port of GameYob. It has support for GBC bios intros and colors as well as super gameboy colors and borders.

1 Like

If we were to port another Game Boy emu, it would probably be SameBoy, which does all of those things (except maybe the borders…?) and is highly accurate, as well.

1 Like

The Super Game Boy border is a nice deal for those who’d like to try them like it was in the real SNES.

From everything I can tell, SameBoy doesn’t support Super Gameboy colors or borders. I hope I’m not explaining something already well known, but SGB color works very very differently from the GBC. Games like Pokemon and Donkey Kong 94 are vastly superior when played on a Super Gameboy.

Supermodel would be my pick, no Model 3 emulator in RA.

1 Like

Secret Maryo chronicles (Not an emulator), PCem (Dosbox but more accurate and not dead), cacao/midpath/j2me (Java is an emulator with abstract i/o extensions), lightscibe flash player.

I had not heard of PCem up until now, kinda want it on Android now.

creatiVision Emulator, Common Source Code Project, dsp-emulator (since it’s got a decent working Colecovision part)

There is allready an pcem in libretro github. But i didn’t try to build it yet.

Dolphin libretro Port still needs a lot of love.

1 Like

Hey there, SameBoy’s developer here!

I just noticed you started porting SameBoy to libretro on GitHub so I wanted to let you know I’d be happy to assist in case you have any problems. (I also noticed you ported some of my shaders and referenced SameBoy in your version of Gambatte, which is cool :stuck_out_tongue: )

One of SameBoy’s next major’s (0.9) focuses is stabilizing APIs and simplifying frontend development, so that’s a great timing as well.

Anyway, just a few notes about SameBoy:

• SameBoy does not emulate any SGB feature. Since SameBoy focuses on accuracy, and accurate SGB emulation requires complete SNES emulation, SGB support is not likely to be added any time soon. I think the only emulator with proper SGB support is Higan, so you should use it if SGB support is what you’re looking for.
  • SameBoy supports (and requires) DMG/CGB boot ROMs, and it comes bundled with custom and free boot ROMs. SameBoy’s CGB boot ROM supports all of Nintendo’s game-specific palettes, as well as the original keypad-based palettes, +4 more custom palettes. It also supports applying static palettes to CGB ROMs and has same compatibility hacks Nintendo’s ROM has. (These are required for proper emulation of X’s intro on a CGB, for example)
  • SameBoy is extremely accurate. It is regularly tested automatically against almost 3000 ROMs and the 0.9 prerelease version recently reached the 99% success milestone (see https://sameboy.github.io/automation/). It also has complete support for the GameBoy Camera, GameBoy Printer, and is also the only emulator that emulates undocumented registers PCM12 and PCM34.
7 Likes

lol no problem! I’ll be able to learn a lot from your work :smiley:

Awesome! I’ll have a deeper look at your work tomorrow, should be interesting. It seemed like you planned on adding rumble support, that’s quite cool as SameBoy’s core does have a rumble API, but the Cocoa and SDL frontends don’t have controller support so it remains unused. (There’s an iOS port planned which will use the rumble API though)

Would love to see Project 64 ported over as a Liberetro core to be frankly honest.

CEN64 would be a better fit for libretro once it is matured enough as it doesn’t rely on plugins or hacks to get things working. It is already looking very promising.

Well first, I’d rather have the project’s resources spent on more regular core updates/stability fixes/hardware support (not necessarily in that order). But that’s not what this thread is about.

That said, if someone can find an open source emu project for porting really old Symbian games (like that of Nokia 1100) like Snake or Football. That or palmOS games. Probably first someone would have to code one of these emulators.

I figure as the Android port grows more stable there might be more of a desire for this.

BBC Micro emulator - BeebEm

Source - http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/download.html

1 Like