NTSC shader

It should work on any of them. What’s the problem on PCE/Atari?

Scapetti has made updates to NTSC shader

Link1 = PAL shaders Link2 = Updated NTSC shaders

Maybe someone can comment more on exactly what got changed and why.

I thought S-Video can’t do dither bar blending but the new shader screenshots show otherwise??

Well, he replaced the gaussian scanlines pass with crt-lottes, which is fine, and he replaced the ‘stock’ pass with an old version of the image-adjustment shader. Other than that, the changes don’t make a lot of sense to me. He fiddled with the chroma_phase values in the ntsc-pass1-encode-demodulate.inc, which is what causes the lines to rotate, IIRC.

The original values were chosen for a reason (i.e., how NTSC signal modulation/demodulation actually works), so I find the claim that these are “more accurate” or that these changes constitute an “update” to be dubious, to say the least. I’d be open to an explanation of his decisions, though.

Thanks hunterk for the explanation. I stick with the trusted professional version. :wink:

How to modify it for PC Engine

Checked Megadrive using 240p test suite - color bleed test (320px - 2phase ntsc shader). Dithering blends pretty well.

PCEngine using 240p test suite - color bleed test (not so great result). Modified Megadrive shader scale_x0 = 1280 --> 1360. And PCE dithering now looks pretty similar to Megadrive bars, checkers. I tried lots of other values but nothing else gave me the exact same dithering clarity.

“The Dynastic Hero” looks a little clearer now too imo. Is this what you were aiming for??

(Atari has no 240p test suite so I wouldn’t know about dithering there)

Hey, just stumbled across this on google. I know it was a few years ago, and also I’ve updated my versions of the filters since too, but I wanted to chime in and explain my decisions. I used multiple youtube videos for reference, as to me, the filters just weren’t quite right. The 320px version didn’t even seem to be working correctly at all, so through tedious trial and error I matched colour banding as close as I could to videos of real hardware, to create the closest effect possible. To me it looks more accurate but that is just me and I do not claim to be an expert on how these things work. I flipped the lines for the 256px version to match videos of real hardware also.

1 Like