Parallel RDP / RSP usable outside RetroArch?

Hi there. I would like to ask if there is a possibility to use the latest N64 Plugins with something else than Retro Arch. Angry Lion RDP Plus had a Project64 release on Github for example. It’s just that,for my own personal reasons, I dont like using Retro Arch. Configuring it feels uncomfortable and confusing for me. But again, just my opinion, I do not wish to start an argument about it. Just asking if there might be an alternative that I haven’t seen so far.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Sure, it’s MIT-licensed. Someone would just need to port it to those other programs.

I believe upstream Mupen64plus is working on it…? Also, it’s worth noting that there are other libretro frontends aside from RetroArch. I’m not sure any of them support Vulkan, though.

1 Like

Just use RA in desktop mode? It’s really not hard to configure. You can use Playnite as a launcher to add your games to. But you’ll still need to make a base configuration.

1 Like

OK, i must admit I really didnt know about that Desktop Mode. I thought Desktop Mode just means how it looks like in the windowed form.

Anyway, maybe you can help me with my biggest discomfort that is also present in the Desktop Mode. Why cant you change Core settings without having to start a rom? I mean besides editing the CFG files manually Especially with N64 where you have multiple possible combinations of plugins and settings this gets quite unfortunate. Some settings result in a failure to start the rom and then you have to reset its settings completly or manually edit the settings in the cfg file. Also, the fact that Retroarch saves multiple settings for the same game in the recent list, depending on which core you started it with the last time, adds to the confusion.

Maybe, just like I wasnt aware of the real Desktop Mode, there is way to switch to some kind of single config mode? No core assignments to roms, no multiple settings at all Just :

1. Load a core.
  2. Edit core’s settings.
  3. Start any rom.

Unfortunately, that’s a hard limitation because the core isn’t really loaded enough to display options until it’s actually running.

1 Like

Thats unfortunate. Wouldn’t it be possible to add dummy roms to the cores in the future? So basicly someone homebrews an N64 rom that just shows a black screen which can be loaded in the background and will most likely run on any configuration allowing the user to make core settings before trying an actual game?

Probably way easier said than done :worried: . just an idea

The best option we’ve come up with when discussing it is caching the options to a file, so after you load it once, you can edit options without loading the core. However, some cores generate core options dynamically (FBNeo is an example) and that file could/will quickly grow to be enormous.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the insight and your time. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like