PC Engine SuperGrafx Updates

Not sure how many are using the SuperGrafx core for their pcengine/tg16 needs but just want to announce the recent changes the core has for Dec 2017:

-Added core option to select aspect ratio: auto(PAR), 6:5 (the last default value), 4:3 tv aspect

NOTE: When using games that constantly switches between 256 and 352 modes and using auto aspect, its best to set Horizontal width to 342 as to minimize resizing and extra black lines since this width is in ratio of 256-width mode(or something like that, just test with Asuka 100% which is one of the game that switches between these modes)

- Added core option to Force SuperGrafx Emulation - this is helpful to run homebrew games or isolate games that will not run in SuperGrafx mode(like Space Harrier).

NOTE: Savestates are not compatible with each modes. Its better to leave this option at default OFF unless needed. Known Supergrafx games (like Dai-Makaimura, Aldyns) will automatically switch to SuperGrafx regardless of this option.

-Added support to cache CHD images for those on slower storage with lots of RAM to spare when option cdimage is enabled.** - back-ported libchr from psx core. - currently remove due to build issues for other supported platforms, playing with CHD is still possible though, only the feature to pre-cache is removed for CHD.

-Added core option to move turbo hotkey from X/Y to L3/R3 - avoids remapping Button III and IV when switching to 6-button gamepad mode

-Added mouse support with option to adjust mouse sensitivity - Tested with Lemmings, which mouse is connected to port 1.

Other updates includes the following:

-Fixed a long standing bug when loading cdimages in mode1/2048 format causes ā€œUncorrectable errorā€ issue and will not continue to load - usually these are images that have wav or ogg files instead of normal .bin audio files.

-fixed some overscan color issues when running in supergrafx mode.

-Allow to start from any of the 5 player ports - Example is Motoroader wherein you can start on player 5 to have green car, of course you have to adjust your inputs and set your controller to use User 5.

-updated core version to latest upstream(0.9.41) which fixes some missing savestates variables and some sound issues when running cd games.

-Some log-related cleanup

-other misc updates.

If you only care about pce roms and have a slower device, the pce_fast core is still recommended since it has optimizations for such devices. otherwise, there is nothing wrong using this core.

Thank You and Have A Happy New Year!

7 Likes

Thanks for the update. I hope in the future will be able to get cheat support for the turbo Graphics 16 this and CD based games in the future. Happy New Year everybody. If anyone on here knows how to do a Bounty properly for something that you desire please let me know and asked now for months no oneā€™s responded. Iā€™m willing to contribute and help out any way that I can but if I donā€™t know how to do it I guess I canā€™t.

you need to have a bountysource accountā€¦ create an issue in coreā€™s issue page and then copy-paste that link into bountrysource.

1 Like

I use it and itā€™s good!
Thank you! :snowman_with_snow: :champagne::sparkler:

Whatever you did, Arcade CD-ROM^2 games work on this core now. Someone Iā€™m sure will say how it was already working for them, but Iā€™ve been trying to get these games to work for the past 3 years or so.

Only after this core update have I got them working. No idea what would have changed in that regard, but something clicked into placed.

Also, good to know CHD images work with this core. I can save a ton more space :smiley:

The one question I have is about the ā€˜force supergrafxā€™ option. How does this affect Darius Alpha and Darius Plus? Does turning it on give the Supergrafx enhancements they recieved on real hardware?

Regarding Darius, it looks like Darius Alpha is the only hybrid pce rom and this is hardcoded to run in SuperGrafx regardles of force supergrafx settings.

1 Like