Playing RetroArch with fully editable touchscreen gamepad overlays

It can be done using a third party Android app: https://youtu.be/G_54gfQV5jk

They have haptic feedback and the dpad can be controlled with the accelerometer too.

That looks pretty good!

1 Like

Where can i find this magical app? :grinning: I have been waiting for this my whole Android life!

Here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.locnet.gamekeyboard2

I can’t seem to make it work. I can use this virtual gamepad in my Android OS just fine, but in Retroarch still only my overlay pad works. What setting need to be done in Retroarch if any?

10x!

You need to map the overlay as if it was an external gamepad, then just save the autoconfig.

I can’t make it work. When i am in Retroarch the gamepad app appears in edit mode only (i can move the buttons) but that’s all i can do. I messed with basically all the options in the pad app. It’s needlessly complicated and it simply doesn’t work for me (kit kat).

Edit. I somehiw got into Retroarch without being stuck in edit mode, so what would my next step be? Is what i need to modify in this menu?

In the app option usage mode just untick edit mode or long press while you are on edit mode and select exit edit mode. In RetroArch input settings select configure all, call the app overlay with volume up and map all the virtual buttons or just map the virtual buttons individually.

10x for answering, still can’t figure it out though. Any setting i need to modify in the Gamepad app? like in Quick Set-up - TouchScreen -> Gamepad, or Xperia Play -> TouchScreen? There are many settings and i have no clue what is the right one.

I get to the Configure all in Retroarch but the gamepad app, while it appears ok, is unresponsive. Still only my Overlay pad works there.

No need for all the other settings, just go to quick setup and select Touchscreen-gamepad and press the volume up button to call the overlay.

You can edit the overlay position, transparency and size in the option custom and test, long press to remove or add buttons. Then you just go to RetroArch and map the overlay to input 1 like if it was an external gamepad and you save the autoconfig.

Check the video again. Also why not use the RetroArch xmb UI?

Also try mapping the overlay one by one, select for example b button in input settings with RetroArch internal overlay then call gamekeyboard+ overlay and press the b button to map it.