Playing roms directly from archive-which systems work?

Hi blunayelf

I don’t have an answer for your question but curious as to which systems/roms use folders within a zip? Is this how they have been downloaded? In my experience, I have used zips in the past but due to having plenty of storage now, have gone back to individual files (a26, lnx, jag, etc). The only cores I use zips with are for arcade (fbneo and mame). Multiple files (ps1, ps2, dreamcast, etc) can be merged into one file using chdman.

How are you scanning these files? Automatic using a database (in my case, can be problematic) or manually, by selecting each option.

:slight_smile:

ciao Graham thank u for your reply i’m using rom of snes, genesis, gameboy and so on. yes i donwloaded entire collection of rom divided for system, and i founded them like this.

I see. For roms such as Snes, Genesis and Gameboy, they can either be in zip format (one file inside, such as *.smc, *.gen and *.gmb) or individually like game.smc, game.gen and game.gmb. Game being the name of a particular game. For storing (management) of roms, I have chosen the format below:-

roms
--->Atari
------>2600
---------> Store 2600 roms here
--->Nintendo
------>Gameboy
---------> Store Gameboy roms here

You will also need the BIOS for particular systems. These need to be placed in the “System” folder. The other thing you need to be aware of are the naming of roms (for boxart, screenshots, etc). For reference, match against this https://thumbnails.libretro.com/. If placing your roms inside zips, make sure the actual rom name matches.

:slight_smile:

@blunayelf

To more directly answer your question, it’s not an issue of RA being able to read multiple files or a folder in a zip, it’s an issue of that structure not being correct for emulation.

RA cannot tell which file, among multiple files, that you want to load… and there is no need for a folder.

You will have to restructure your files.

Generally speaking, the file extension will give RA the information it needs to make the correct cores visible in the core selection dialog, so it is to your advantage to have the roms not in zip format.

The exception is arcade roms, which can have multiple files inside i.e.

1943.zip/
         bm.7k
         bm04.5h
         bm05.4k
         bm06.10a
         bm07.11a
         bm08.12a
         bm09.14a
         bm1.12a
         bm10.10c
         bm10.7l
         bm11.11c