PlayStation 2 cores: PCSX2, Play!

@DaveTheMan1985 I don’t know. But you can check on retroarch.com or twitter or discord to get the news :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve still not managed to get anywhere with this :weary:

Tried cycling through the video drivers too…

Can I ask what spec you have on the Win10 machine you got it running on?

@3miliooo please provide some log otherwise it will be difficult to help you by guessing what happened.

Also please test with playable games.

Thank you.

FYI you can make some test also with PCSX2 libretro core as it has just arrived on the buildbot :wink:

So you just grab it via Main tab > Online Updater > Core Downloader.

Also don’t forget to update your Core info file via Main tab > Online Updater > Update Core info file.

1 Like

Thanks again man, here is my log.

The error lines about how “The specified module could not be found” make no sense to me, because the play_libretro.dll is 100% in the C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\cores\ directory it is referring to.

I updated both core info files and databases.

I should point out that I also just downloaded the pcsx2 core as you mentioned via the online updater and it exhibits the exact same behaviour for me (although even if it did run, I don’t currently have any PS2 BIOS for that core).

You will note that this time, as well as Gradius V, I tried play! core with 1945 [SLES-51741] which I dumped from my own disc; it is on the playable games list you linked.

PCSX2 in retroarch looks promising! I was testing it out a bit today and the only thing that I noticed was the high input lag aside from that it’s pretty good!

Now in Alpha:

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/libretro-cores-updates-pcsx2-alpha-release-for-windows-and-more/

Amazing news, so much to look forward in the future! Now for a quick question, does both of these cores run on Windows 32-bit?

1 Like

Hi,

Thank for your for the log.

May you try with this core, if it is working for Play! core ?

Also PCSX2 core required bios and some setup.

Thank you for the continued support! No change however.

I replaced my core with the one in your link, updated core info files and databases again, saved config and restarted RA before trying this.

I made a new log for this play! core attempt and the error seems the same :neutral_face:

For pcsx2 also, I followed the setup video you linked (thanks again!) using scph39001.bin BIOS so I now have the necessary file structure as well as the .dll file but same issue with this core also; still just backs out to main RA menu and returns ‘no core’.

With forethought towards the core getting CHD support at some point does anyone know a good way to mass convert .iso files to .chd?

chdman can do it. there are some simple bat scripts floating around that just chd-ify all of the discs in the folder.

I tried to set up PCSX2 as instructed in the video(and by ETA Prime) but all I get is a “content failed to load” error. Any idea where I should look to fix?

Thanks to a helpful soul on Youtube I have figured out the issue. Retroarch had reset my video driver from d3d11 to Vulkan. Switched it back and now all is running beautifully.

@FormulaFox thank you for the feedback.

@3miliooo Can you try to switch to d3d11 or glcore video driver if it will help ? Settings tab > Drivers > Video > d3d11 or glcore.

Also you did install MSVC++ runtime as @hunterk suggested ?

Both cores working :partying_face: Thank you!

I had indeed installed 2019 runtime and as per my previous post, also the remaining runtimes sequentially from 2013 back to 2005 without luck; after this, I tried all the video drivers available to me and whilst none of them helped, I just realised that in between these two things, I’d also UNINSTALLED the runtimes after they’d failed… :man_facepalming:

Reinstalled 2019 runtime, switched video driver and voilà.

Musings so far:

• Both d3d11 and glcore seem to work for me (the fomer is the better one) but with Play! core I get BIG slowdown and stuttering from the get-go, whereas pcsx2 seems to run v.well on both Gradius V and 1945, so I’ll be using that core for now for PS2.

• Scanning for content only gives me Gradius V under PS2 playlist and even then when I assign pcsx2 core to it it doesn’t load the game, just brings me to the PS2 loading/file browser screen (maybe it’s trying to load my Gradius .cue file as opposed to the .bin ? :thinking:) I’ve got around this by first manually loading pcsx2 core, then the ROM content, then adding the running games as favourites. You can then rename and ‘hack’ the resulting favourite .lpl file to turn it into a PlayStation 2.lpl for your RA playlists folder. The games then show properly and run like they do when you load them manually.

Hope this may help somebody else.

1 Like

FWIW - I had terrible results with PCSX2 and Play! until I turned off rewind. I love rewind, but it’s been the culprit of several mysterious issues for me lol. I’ve gotten to the point I just suggest turning it off and seeing how cores respond for mysterious issues.

some question where is the save files of pcsx2 i play some games but dont see any game saves ??? no is this like psx cores ?

Look in <RetroArch_install_folder>\system\pcsx2\memcards\

1 Like

The core has been updated. Rumble and CHD are fixed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes