Please show off what crt shaders can do!

Looks like the file expired only a few hours ago, where you showed off Ocarina of Time. Would you be able to share your settings for that one again? It looks stellar! I’d love to play with it.

Do you by any chance have this as a code? As it doesn’t seem like Guest-Dr-Venom uses images for masks.

This can be setup in the ‘dr venom’ shader by setting the “Slot Mask Height: 2x1 or 4x1” to the higher value. It’s more a 4k or ‘interlacing’ option though.

1 Like

It doesn’t look right at my resolution 1920x1080.

Slot Mask Height: 2x1 or 4x1 - 1.00

Slot Mask Height: 2x1 or 4x1 - 2.00

SoulCalibur Broken Destiny

3 Likes

Looks like it’s working as intended to me- first second image with the larger phosphors looks nice :slight_smile:

Normally you want the slotmask pattern as tight as possible, but the larger pattern works nicely here to simulate a lower resolution.

Expanding on this idea a bit, you could also make an LCD grid with the following subpixel-agnostic pattern. You’ll get some color fringing, though. Not sure what the code for this would be. This would make the horizontal and vertical resolution exactly match that of the PSP screen (again, assuming you’re using 1920x1080).

RGBX
RGBX
RGBX
XXXX
3 Likes

Do you mean the second image?

I personally prefer the tighter mask. But I get what you mean, I will try the larger mask later at lower internal resolution and may post the results here.

Btw, If you are interested, I completely revised the default ReShade CRT shader with the CRT-Geom MAME shader @cgwg posted the link to in the Ten years of CRT shaders thread. And its way brighter than before, here are the images 1, 2, 3 (external links as I promised not to post any more standalone emulators pics). You can compare them with my previous post #1410. I Would really appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

I can upload it again after work. I quit in about 8 hours. The one for gamecube is different. Dolphin doesnt run that good in retroarch sadly :frowning:

1 Like

Some more Guest-Dr-Venom pics!

Naruto Shippuden Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 :

Power Stone 2 :

Project Justice :

1 Like

Edit: Oops, yeah. Meant to say second image w/larger phosphors looks nice.

In terms of realistically emulating a CRT mask, the tighter mask is definitely preferable. I like the larger phosphors in this particular case because it more accurately matches the vertical resolution of the PSP screen at a resolution of 1920x1080. If you want to match the vertical and horizontal resolution, then you’d need something like the custom pattern I described above. It’s just a thought, though.

I checked out the new images and they look great on my iPhone with the brightness maxed out :slight_smile: Should get similar results on any decently bright TV.

1 Like

I think you see some slight rounding of the scanline edges even on a BVM, so you might consider just a hint of horizontal blur. Scanlines look nice though.

1 Like

Now I’m playing around with composite video shaders.

The presets in Tvout+interlacing are pretty great. You can easily swap interlacing for scanline-sine-abs or one of the other scanline shaders, and dotmask can go after that, if desired, if you set the scanline pass to the correct scale.

Question for the experts: what is the maximum that chrominance I/Q can be set to while still being composite video, given the limited signal bandwidth? I’ve been eyeballing this at 100-120, but it’d be nice to have something empirical to base this on.

I’d like to try creating presets for different types of filters used in TVs. Is there a way to edit the composite video emulation?

No comb filter- all the artifacts are present and horizontal resolution is limited to 260 lines

two line analogue comb filter- reduction of rainbow artifacts, improved horizontal resolution

three line analogue comb filter- same as two line filter, plus reduction of dot crawl and improved vertical resolution

2D three line adaptive comb filter: dot crawl almost completely eliminated and sharpness nearly identical to S-video

3D motion adaptive comb filter: basically identical to S-video

Here’s tvout+ntsc-256px-composite+interlacing, with interlacing replaced with res-independent scanlines and dotmask added after that.

EDIT: just realized I should have used the 320px version for Genesis, but oh well.

3 Likes

Is there any shader that can form the custom mask pattern you described? Would like to test it out.

And thanks for checking out the images. It already looks good at 50-60% brightness.

torridgristle’s blend overlay shader can do it. It’s in the reshade folder. Instructions are in the shader file :slight_smile:

This particular pattern isn’t included, but you can find a huge collection of masks in @hunterk’s mask effect shader snippet, which I posted a link to above (a few posts back).

edit: You might also consider using 50% black instead of 100% for the black lines between the triads, otherwise the black lines are over-represented and too much brightness is lost.

Since displays differ so much, I would suggest firing up Fudoh’s 240p test suite when adjusting brightness/contrast/color levels/gamma/etc. Make sure inner bars of the PLUGE are still visible (in a dark room), and all the bars are clearly visible in both color bars and grey ramp test patterns with no sudden jumps. Should be good to go after that!

1 Like

I’ve been reading this talk about CRT masks but I’m not very knowledgeable in the topic, specially on green-magenta phosphors for ~1080p resolutions.

Do you have any similar replacement recommendation for crt-royale slotmask (TileableLinearSlotMaskTall15Wide9And4d5Horizontal9d14VerticalSpacingResizeTo64) in 1120p and 1200p resolutions for snes and the like? I do get some vertical unevenness when using slotmask as opposed to aperture.

I think the Nyquist-Shannon theorem dictates that the maximum horizontal resolution should be around

3579545 / (525 * 30 * 2) = roughly 113

(divide the color subcarrier frequency by the number of lines and by the number of frames per second (not fields) and by 2)

But I could be wrong :blush:

This also applies to RF and S-video by the way, only component can surpass this limitation AFAIK.

2 Likes

@Doriphor

Nice info! Looks like I wasn’t too far off :smiley:

@Dogway

Unfortunately, even the tightest slotmask pattern really needs 4K and up to have a realistic TVL / dotpitch. At 1080p you’re better off using aperture grille or triad dotmask.

The magenta/green aperture grille gives you 540 TVL @ 1080p based purely on the number of RGB triads, and takes advantage of the subpixel structure to avoid color fringing and chromatic aberration (assuming standard RGB subpixels). You can use the aperture grille from lottes to reduce TVL to 360 (more in line with a consumer-grade CRT), but then you’ll get chromatic aberration.

Magenta/green dotmask works nice at 1080p but looks more like an old PC monitor. It’s nice for DOS games and such.

I’m going to get around to integrating your grading shader into my presets soon; I like what I’m seeing so far.

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure because color is quadrature amplitude modulated (QAM) in NTSC and the subcarrier doesn’t really vary in frequency so, not certain if Nyquist-Shannon has anything to do with it in which case it would be double the answer but I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that NTSC’s max horizontal color resolution is 112 or 113 and it seemed to fit so yeah. I don’t know for sure and I don’t want to mislead anyone :confused: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, by the way, I will be making some changes to my presets, swapping grade and the ntsc passes, and changing a few things in the ntsc shader like processing in video levels.

2 Likes

Here it is again.

https://filebin.net/6f381e0wz6dw0lvm

I should probably mention that it is crt-aperture that I have used. I have of course not coded the shader.

1 Like

Changing a few things in the ntsc shader like processing in video levels.

Could you elaborate on the ntsc changes some?