Please show off what crt shaders can do!

It’s really F’ing hard to maintain that balance with GTU ye, I ran it exclusively for blurring for a bit.

2 Likes

In my opinion, the decoupled CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC + Filtering Section, NTSC Adaptive or Blargg NTSC Video Filters would be perfect for this as well as light blurring/blending/filtering. I know @DariusG was also working on getting something close to Blargg in shader format as well.

@guest.r would you be keen on the idea of releasing an officially decoupled NTSC + Filtering shader that keeps pace with your latest developments in CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC?

That would open up the possibility of an official ReShade port as well.

@DevilSingh ported CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC to ReShade. I wonder if the decoupling of the NTSC + Filtering Section could be done as has already been done using the Slang version?

4 Likes

It’s definitely doable, it’s just a matter of someone wanting to do it. (Personally I’m not confident enough to do it myself, filtering code is my nemesis)

3 Likes

You’re welcome and while I agree that most of the credit is deserving of the Shader creators who made this all possible, people who do what we do, spending hours, sometimes days, sometimes months, sometimes years fine tuning the output of these powerful tools then digesting them into a format that is more palatable to the average person on the street who doesn’t know the difference between a shader and a shader preset, perform a valuable service and also help these things reach even further and wider audiences.

What is the point of doing this if it’s just a handful of people who get to enjoy it? So take your thanks, what you’ve done is not necessarily exactly the same as what a shader dev would do but I think there is enough room for everyone involved in the different stages to be appreciated.

2 Likes

There is a version of blargg-like shader in glsl format already in ntsc folder. It uses the same filter blargg uses.

1 Like

It’s Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor (+passes from CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC+SuperXBR+Grade) so brighten your screen, right click then open in new tab, then press F11 to make Full Screen to view or zoom in until it looks right.

Introducing CyberLab Megatron NX W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo Composite Shadow Mask Smooth Ultra Balanced.slangp

These were from an older version of the above preset. I’ll see if I can update when I get a chance.

7 Likes

These are great! You reckon rendering perfect shadow mask circles/dots could be possible with higher resolutions?

1 Like

Thanks! It took me a very long time before getting an acceptable looking Shadow Mask pattern out of Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor.

Kinda similar in a way to how long it took me to get a Slot Mask that I liked.

These seem to need very specific custom aspect ratios or they don’t look correct.

I guess so, the tinier the pixels and the more of them there are in a given area makes more detailed everything possible.

It’s Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor (+passes from CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC+SuperXBR+Grade) so brighten your screen, right click then open in new tab, then press F11 to make Full Screen to view or zoom in until it looks right.

CyberLab Megatron NX W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo Composite Shadow Mask Smooth Ultra CAR 10x8x.slangp

3 Likes

It is possible, but maybe 4k is not enough.

1 Like

It’s Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor (+passes from CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC+SuperXBR+Grade) so brighten your screen. These are best viewed at native resolution and aspect ratio (pixel perfect) or zoom in until they look right.

CyberLab Megatron NX W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo Composite Shadow Mask Small TV CAR 2136x7x.slangp

I took some photos of the screen to try to better convey what these presets look like in person.

Not even these photos do these shaders and presets justice and this is on a non-spectacular, non-HDR LG IPS TV which can’t even do RGB 4:4:4 at 4K 60Hz hence the “W420M” in the preset filename.

3 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

Whatcha doing here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was testing custom modes on glsl ntsc-mini, so they pass nes ntsc test. As far as I know nes and snes have the same artifacts, delaying the line creating that staircase effect.

4 Likes

Road to hell on a TV with a junk comb filter

9 Likes

10 Likes

Failed to apply preset

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum. Come over to my thread and we can try and get to the bottom of it over there.

1 Like

CyberLab CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo_DC 3D Comb Filter Shadow Mask Ultra.slangp

Best viewed zoomed in or at 1:1 native resolution with no scaling/stretching.

6 Likes