Please show off what crt shaders can do!

It’s Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor (+passes from CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC+SuperXBR+Grade) so brighten your screen, right click then open in new tab, then press F11 to make Full Screen to view or zoom in until it looks right.

Introducing CyberLab Megatron NX W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo Composite Shadow Mask Smooth Ultra Balanced.slangp

These were from an older version of the above preset. I’ll see if I can update when I get a chance.

7 Likes

These are great! You reckon rendering perfect shadow mask circles/dots could be possible with higher resolutions?

1 Like

Thanks! It took me a very long time before getting an acceptable looking Shadow Mask pattern out of Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor.

Kinda similar in a way to how long it took me to get a Slot Mask that I liked.

These seem to need very specific custom aspect ratios or they don’t look correct.

I guess so, the tinier the pixels and the more of them there are in a given area makes more detailed everything possible.

It’s Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor (+passes from CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC+SuperXBR+Grade) so brighten your screen, right click then open in new tab, then press F11 to make Full Screen to view or zoom in until it looks right.

CyberLab Megatron NX W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo Composite Shadow Mask Smooth Ultra CAR 10x8x.slangp

3 Likes

It is possible, but maybe 4k is not enough.

1 Like

It’s Sony Megatron Colour Video Monitor (+passes from CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC+SuperXBR+Grade) so brighten your screen. These are best viewed at native resolution and aspect ratio (pixel perfect) or zoom in until they look right.

CyberLab Megatron NX W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo Composite Shadow Mask Small TV CAR 2136x7x.slangp

I took some photos of the screen to try to better convey what these presets look like in person.

Not even these photos do these shaders and presets justice and this is on a non-spectacular, non-HDR LG IPS TV which can’t even do RGB 4:4:4 at 4K 60Hz hence the “W420M” in the preset filename.

3 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

Whatcha doing here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was testing custom modes on glsl ntsc-mini, so they pass nes ntsc test. As far as I know nes and snes have the same artifacts, delaying the line creating that staircase effect.

4 Likes

Road to hell on a TV with a junk comb filter

9 Likes

10 Likes

Failed to apply preset

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum. Come over to my thread and we can try and get to the bottom of it over there.

1 Like

CyberLab CRT-Guest-Advanced-NTSC W420M 4K SDR Game Turbo Duo_DC 3D Comb Filter Shadow Mask Ultra.slangp

Best viewed zoomed in or at 1:1 native resolution with no scaling/stretching.

6 Likes

Thanks for doing SDR again bro, I used to have great HDR with my LG CX but that TV got commandeered by my wife and now I have a Samsung with HDR with the light capabilities of a dark hole.

1 Like

No problem. You do know that you can use my “HDR” presets on a non-HDR Display. I’ve been running some modified versions of them on a not so awesome IPS display for a little while now since my OLED TV has been out of order.

I’ve calibrated my display to operate around it’s peak brightness though.

Now you’ve piqued my curiosity because I would like to do some research to see how bad this display really is.

Can it get even get almost as bright as your OLED TV?

Have you disabled power saving and turned up the Backlight and Contrast?

Good for you, unless your wife is a videophile, she was getting the Samsung (after some extensive tweaking) if it was up to me. Maybe she is enthusiastic about these things? lol

I’ve benefited greatly from having my LG OLED TV to compare with my other TVs and use as a reference to get the most out of them.

You might be able to get more out of your Samsung after some calibration.

The biggest problem with my (current) TV for shaders is that it can’t do RGB 4:4:4 full at 4K 60Hz. As you can see I’ve been trying to work around these challenges with my W420M presets. As a by product they should also work well for YouTube when uploading HDR video content but I’m awaiting someone to test that theory.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not the greatest when it comes to HDR, it’s a Samsung CU7000, the HDR is around 300nits if I recall correctly. Best thing about it is that it’s 75’, it’s a wedding gift from my wife, she’s so nice to me, and the LG was small enough to hang on the wall of the bedroom, so it seemed like a good idea lol. It’s nowhere close to the LG OLED, those blacks are crazy, this one it seems foggy only when it’s a completely dark picture or some dark spots at the corners when it’s fully white. Power saving is always off.

I didn’t know that I can use your HDR presets as SDR, I always loved your presets, this is so exciting! I tried the newest HDR presets but they seemed darker than your old ones, admittedly, I didn’t crank up the brightness and contrast as I thought it’d be like the old ones, but I’ll try this soon. Thanks for the instructions as always bro!

The Samsung does 4k60 4:4:4 8bpc, guess this is good enough : p

2 Likes

Yes, you just have to adjust the SDR/HDR parameter to SDR and max out your Backlight and Contrast (On some TVs it’s possible that you might have to max out the Brightness but that doesn’t work on my LG IPS, it just raises the Black levels and washes out everything.)

If it’s too dull you can try increasing the Colour.

The instructions have always been in the Shader Parameters. I guess some folks miss that.

Well the old ones are not outdated you know, they just serve a different purpose. That’s why the new ones are called “Near Field” when viewing my old ones from close to the screen the colours seemed too harsh and oversaturated and the edges also seemed harsh and too coarse. This is because I designed them for viewing at some distance from the screen while maintaining focus and sharpness.

After changing my viewing setup I started work on my “Near Field” presets then my OLED TV bit the dust.

The paperwhite values are lower for those but you’re supposed to adjust that to suit your own display in any case so if it’s dark, you’re either limited by the display or you need to set things up properly.

When the brightness values are set too high colours can have a burnt, clipped, posterized look.

2 Likes

Love this new ‘crt-yo6-flat-trinitron-tv’ it looks so balanced

1 Like