Please show off what crt shaders can do!

I just updated the preset posted in that thread, can you try that and post the same screen from Minish Cap when you get a chance?

@hunterk 480i, ew. I’ll give the border thing a try, thanks!

Yes, I think “guest-dr-venom-MaxDR-xVM” and “guest-dr-venom-MaxDR-shadowmask” will suffice. I don’t know if I’ll have any luck getting @guest.r to edit the ranges for the beam shape parameters, though, which is essential to getting the xVM preset to work. Looks like he’s moved on to other things :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Changing parameter range isn’t a particularly big deal. I think I can make an executive decision here to push it through.

3 Likes

I mean people force the gameboy player thing into 480p on the GameCube.

1 Like

The degree of rainbow artifacting depends on the quality of the NTSC decoder used in the CRT (notch/bandpass, 1-3 line analogue, 2-3 line digital). A decent TV from the 80s probably had an analogue filter which would reduce the appearance of rainbows with a stationary image. 3D comb filters were introduced in the late 90s to early 00s and can make composite video almost indistinguishable from S-video.

So, it all depends on what vintage of CRT you’re going for.

The range for beam shape high and beam shape low should be 1.00 - 100.00, increment should be 1.00. I don’t know if that’s going overboard but that’s what I did, lol. Thanks!

how high/low does your preset actually go? Is there any point in going all the way to 100?

Beam shape high is at 100.00, beam shape low is at 1.00.

Ah, ok, then yeah, that should be fine. However, I think the presets can force values outside of the normal min/max, too, so it’s not exactly necessary just for the purpose of getting your presets in.

1 Like

Oh, that’s cool. I’ll test with unaltered guest-dr-venom just to make sure everything’s working right before submitting.

1 Like

So basically there’s no way to get scanlines (using actual hardware) with GBA without using home brew or modding? Is this correct?

1 Like

From my understanding yes, but 480p on the GameCube for GBA is very much a thing via homebrew version of the gameboy player. From my understanding the homebrew version of the player is the preferred version by most people that have tried it.

1 Like

@Nesguy In the end I want a range of shaders to demonstrate the various quirks of crt technology like a little tour of history. It’s fun to hit the “m” key to cycle through shaders from ugly rf composite nightmare, to a sharp rgb PVM. The mame_hlsl shader is very versatile but the ntsc monitor artifacts are aggressive and hard to control. Maybe I want “Hollywood ugly” not ugly ugly.

2 Likes

Yeah that would be cool, different presets for different NTSC decoders, ranging from crappy notch filter up to 3D comb filtered composite on a low TVL TV, then RGB/high TVL for the full range of quality. It’s been on the back burner for a while. There are a ton of NTSC decoders to emulate, I think there are 5 basic types but then each type also varied in quality depending on the manufacturer.

This article has some good info.

2 Likes

Looking at that Contra III shot I just posted, I think the color temp should actually be 5505K, and CRT gamma should be 2.5 for SNES. Color temp being that low seems kinda weird, but whatever. :man_shrugging: I think I’m just going to make 5505K the default and people can do whatever suits them.

@c9f5fdda06 hope that wasn’t directed at me, lol. If you’ve got some suggestions, I’m all ears.

1 Like

Okay so I did all the github things and I’m pretty much ready to upload but now I need to remove those pesky stock passes and I’m too lazy right now, lol. I’ll probably finally commence uploading tomorrow or later this evening.

3 Likes

If hunter doesn’t get to it, I’ll do it. Throw me a link?

Same problem with the new preset too! @hunterk any idea what is going on here?

(I thought that’s how the preset was supposed to look like (scanlines disappearing over bright pixels) in that Contra 3 pic I posted yesterday, lol!)

Having worked on porting that shader to ReShade - (From my understanding) I don’t think you can remove those stock passes without making changes to the main shader files itself!

I’d have to look which passes he’s setting to stock. But you can get away removing certain passes, something I know as well from explain.

1 Like

Guest-Dr-Venom and its many parts heavily rely on PassPrev “x” Texture (“x” can be any number of previous textures/passes an effect may need to work right).

That’s why you can’t just remove some of its passes you don’t need and instead have to replace them with a stock pass.

(Again, this is all from my limited knowledge of porting it. And I could be totally wrong about it, lol!)

1 Like