Please show off what crt shaders can do!

Here’s a photo by Kurozumi of his preset running on his TV. Love this shot.

7 Likes

crt-lottes mask 4 on my view sonic crt monitor!

5 Likes

Aren’t these just screen captures?

Nop. I took these screenshots in retroarch :+1: I been messing around with shaders and found this crt lottes one and i’m in love! I tried to do the 240p on a vga monitor but there’s always drawbacks. If i run it 240p 60hz looks good but motion smoothness is not that great and if i run 480p 60hz the image gets way too dark. So for now imma just enjoy some lottes!

I mean, it’s not a photo, right? So how can we see any qualities of the CRT screen?

You’re right now i see what you mean i was slow my bad lol I can try and take the same pics but this time with my phone.

I took some pics with my phone! Here :

6 Likes

Can’t really see the mask now with the crt phosphors underneath it. I never had great luck with masks on CRTs, it’s like putting masks on top of masks. Would love to see some 240p shots on that screen though (or fake 240p using the interlacing shader)

Been playing around with sharpness settings. I think a little bit of ringing is ok given all the possible compromises.

Basically just trying to get diagonals to appear diagonal and curves to appear curved while maintaining sharpness at high-contrast edges.

1 Like

Fake 240p Crt monitor! I like it but the screen gets way too dark

4 Likes

Looks great! You can try maxing out all the color channels on the CRT to compensate.

2 Likes

the magenta/green mask is really good for hiding ringing. crt-geom has pretty gnarly ringing without it.

4 Likes

I’m trying to find that sweet spot where the ringing is no longer detectable at normal distances. Can you spot the ringing?

I edited the mask to be red-cyan, because my subpixels are GRB.

1 Like

If you’re talking about some coloured vertical lines being visible then I can see those when fullscreen on my cellphone screen. They disappear when I zoom in though.

Also, I’m not seeing it in the image previews in the post.

Just checked again on my TV and I’m not seeing any ringing.

No, that’s just the mask :slightly_smiling_face:

The idea is to use the mask to disguise ringing artifacts, which are darker/lighter pixels where they shouldn’t be near a high contrast edge; it’s an artifact of sharpening algorithms. Someone else can probably explain it better. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think it was the mask I was referring to you know. Perhaps I shouldn’t have said vertical “lines” they’re more like thick regularly spaced vertical areas of colour. They don’t look like the mask at all. Which would look like a fine vertical line pattern. This looks more like the artifacts you see when a poorly aligned mask is scaled. It shows up at some zoom levels while it looks fine at others.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the result of the mask getting scaled by a non-integer multiple. View at original size or an exact integer multiple (200%, 300% etc) to avoid that.

1 Like

Fake-lottes with mask disabled and a custom mask I did from guest.r shaders as an overlay. I needed just a gpu-cheap effect that could run on some weak devices I have lying around :wink:

2 Likes

Nice, would you like you share preset ?

1 Like

It’s Fake-lottes with mask disabled (0) and a custom overlay that I did in Gimp based on guest.r advanced shader mask 8 latest, which I already uploaded on github libretro overlays and did a pull request (scanlines-guest.r)