Please show off what crt shaders can do!

sorry about the path issue, I fixed this and uploaded a new version, I also added an overlay which matches the 2560x1600 resolution. it looks like this

The updated presets & overlay are at the same link as before:

Also a small note about the Moire, I was testing PSX Mega Man 8 at 2560x1600 there is still a slight moire. At 4K the Moire is even less of a problem. The moire is caused by the curvature in the shader which bends the scanlines, if you set the curvature y to 0 it should go away completely.

Also about the PSX, when the PSX loads up it seems to go through different resolutions/display modes. For example the white screen with the Sony Computer Entertainment logo has can have a different display mode/resolution from the title screen, and the gameplay can have a different display mode again, so you will possibly see different effects in each mode (this happens in any shader).

5 Likes

Wow! thank you very much. The overlay fits perfectly.

1 Like

Hmm, I get weird results with the reflection shader, see :

Look at the corners… I have set Integer scaling to OFF and aspect ratio on core provided or 16/9 don’t change anything.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately, the moire is bringing the shader down. And removing the curvature defeats the purpose of using it since it doesn’t fit in the overlay. Plus, old screens had curvature.

Could you use a different scanline maybe?

Or maybe is there a way to add the reflection effect to already existing shaders like lottes or Geom, without changing anything inside the screen (avoiding undesirable effects)? I already have a shader that i’m pretty happy with and i would like to add the reflection effect outside of it, without messing with what i already have. Is that a possibility?

@GemaH Ideally I would like to have the reflection as a separate pass so it could be put on top of different shaders, as everybody has different tastes in their ideal crt shader :slight_smile: .

The moire pattern is from the Guest-Venom shader geometry distortion it actually has nothing to do with the reflection shader. One thing you can do specifically with the Guest-Venom shader to reduce moire is to use smoother scanline (set gsl = “0”) and shadowMask options, and set the slotmask = “0” (these parameters are already In the preset, gsl is set to 1 and slotmask is set to 0.5)

In general moire pattern appears sometimes more or less with different shaders using distortion and at different resolutions. The only thing I’ve seen used to actually “remove” it is the moire mitigation code mentioned previously.

The challenge with applying the reflection as a separate pass is partially that the image generated by the crt shader needs to be scaled properly to approximately fit how the reflection shader is sized.

Currently all this scaling is defined at the beginning of the Guest-Venom shader. This is part hunterk did and I think it’s actually an awesome way to manage aspect ratio & integer scaling in the shader without ever having to change the video settings aspect ratio or video settings integer scaling, it would also allow the shader to choose use different options depending on the current monitor resolution.

A few solutions to this might be

1. Do screen scaling separately in the crt shader and reflection shader to get a good enough fti between the two. This means you need scaling controls in your shader

2. Break the crt shader up into a component file/function which the reflection shader can call to do the crt part, this is a more invasive option which requires breaking up the original shader, so seems less likely to be practical large scale

3. Let the reflection shader rescale the output of the crt shader to fit. I would dismiss this option as it would severely degrade the crt shader

1 Like

@Tromzy This is definitely a bug, my first guess is that it might be due to differences in numerical rounding behaviour on different hardware, what kind of graphics card do you have? I was using an NVidia card when testing this.

I use an Intel Integrated Graphics chip on a core i5 8265U, on Linux.

Quick note, you can lower the scanline dark strength to fight the moire some.

Basically just lower scanline settings, lol.

These suggestions helped, thank you. There is some inconsistency between cores due to internal resolution, 224p vs 240p, and the overlay doesn’t match up quite right. I got around it by cropping the 1080p overlay to 16:10 for 224p games.

Reflection looks great. Screenshots showing the difference:

3 Likes

Some awesome looking shaders here! I’m looking for a nice N64 shader, I’m using gtu-v050 right now and it looks ok but does anyone have any other great suggestion regarding N64?

You can try crt-easymode-halation. It is not very demanding and looks quite nice without much tweaking. It is a good starting point, from there you can experiment with others and see what you like.

Others i would recommend are CRT-Guess-Venom and CRT-Kurozumi (in the preset folder).

Having the CRT reflection bands as a single pass and be able to use it on different shaders would be awesome. Right now, I’m thinking of CRT-mattias; that is a beautiful one.

1 Like

CRT-Aperture for everything. Created by Easymode to look like an aperture grille CRT, like the name suggests. Looks great out of the box and is less demanding than Royale. See my previous post for suggested settings.

1 Like

the issue with making the reflections their own pass is that CRT effects look like shit with any scaling after them, but it should be easy enough to make some codeblocks that can be copy/pasted into existing shaders’ last pass.

2 Likes

I got around the scaling issue on my end when it comes to 224p vs 240p cores by modifying the config and adding 0.4 integer scale offset to the 224p games. A suggestion of mine would be to allow us to modify the integer scale offset value in 0.1 steps to give users more flexibility.

Screenshots:

2 Likes

@Arviel To clarify, are you referring to the shader as a config, or referring to the core config?

Sorry, lol.

Ah, sorry! I meant the shader config itself. You can only change the offset through RA by 1 which is too much, so if you want something smaller than that you have to do it through the file itself.

1 Like

No worries, I was just trying to be pre-emptive.

Static screenshots don’t really do the shader justice, so here is a short video of it in motion.

7 Likes

That’s nice!

Is YouTube or my phone killing the mask and scanline effects? Or do you just have the shader settings removing mask and scanlines?