Please show off what crt shaders can do!

Where can I find this preset? Looks great.

1 Like

It’s in the ‘presets’ folder of the slang shaders. Ofc. you can tweak it a bit. :smiley:

2 Likes

@Doriphor

You might also want to consider integer scaling and setting up a custom AR for better scaling of mask/scanline effects.

@guest.r

Tweaking settings is mandatory if you want the best results, IMO. So many settings are display-dependent; the presets should just be used as a good place to start.

2 Likes

Could you please explain what a custom AR is? :confused:

Custom aspect ratio, I think…

2 Likes

Put an additional couple of hours into refactoring and rewriting some stuff. Like this then? (+ bonus screenshot for fun)

2 Likes

The scanlines are much better now.

The colors are interesting in the first shot, looks nice imo. (Are you using you color settings in the shader to adjust them, or is it that how the normally looks? Haven’t played much of Mario Bros. 3, lol.)

The b/w screen is cool as well.

Looking forward to your updates!

1 Like

Wonderful :black_heart:

Seriously @guest.r, that is perfect to my eyes. 9.9/10. Not a ten because I prefer a slightly cooler and less saturated look.

4 Likes

Yes it’s using the built-in saturation setting to boost colors, the second is also doing that but I set it to 0 :slight_smile: also thank you so much!

1 Like

Fantastic results, Herr Braun!

And @Doriphor, your shader/settings started dark and dull, but it’s becoming better and better. You are in the right place, keep going forward :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When you say ntsc-svideo 3 passes are you referring to actual passes or the the 3phase version of the s-video shader?

If 3 passes what passes are you using?

1 Like

By the way, usually when I say “cooler and less saturated”, this is what I mean. First image uncorrected (i.e. default fba output), second is. I recently got myself a 1440p monitor. I will keep playing at 720p on it for reasons already stated, but I must say RA looks glorious in such hi-res.

Oh and these are my current (likely definitive?) 720p-reshade-crt aperture settings for standalone emulators and games. They are resolution-agnostic, which while being very convenient for stuff like MAME, means that scanlines won’t be proportional to pixels sometimes. Other than that, what do you think, my knowledgeable friends?

7 Likes

Thank you! Yeah I figured if I’m gonna talk about something I’m making, I might as well try to make it appealing to the audience :slight_smile: … speaking of which, I haven’t done a PS1 game screenshot yet!

5 Likes

1440p shots look nice. A bit lacking in brightness, but looks good on my iPhone with the brightness maxed out.

Personally, the CRTs I’ve experienced had more saturated colors than that. The sets I’ve recently used either had decent comb filters or were RGB, though. Color saturation is never captured well in photos of CRTs.

1 Like

Yeah, personally the consumer CRT I have (flat screen non-hd model, meaning it doesn’t have an process ie. lag), is fairly saturated and has a noticeable glowy-ness to it. (Which I think go hand-in-hand in a CRT, imo.)

My model has component video input. (If this makes any difference, lol.)

EDITED: So it’s seems like an actual coherent thought, lol. (Note to self don’t post things half-asleep.)

@hunterk Could you please explain the difference between the ntsc 2-phase and 3-phase composite/svideo shaders, like what the visual difference is (could it be a quality difference)? Or is the difference something else?

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: NTSC shader discussion

So, I decided to add halation to my shader. I’m not quite sure if I’m doing it right and if the performance hit is too steep yet, but here are some results (I apologize for the frame not being quite the same each time because RA unpauses whenever I leave the menu :frowning: :

Unshaded output:

Basic shader how it was before adding halation: Halation pass: Shader with halation enabled (final render):

3 Likes

Looks like halation to me, how adjustable is it?

Are you using one or two blur passes for the halation?

How are you implementing it into the shader?

I’m using a for loop to just spiral outward from the origin and accumulate samples, and just add it to the picture. I guess that would be one pass? The strength, radius and number of samples are adjustable :slight_smile: There’s also a debug parameter that only outputs the halation layer. Here’s the code (sorry it’s really messy since I’ve been … well messing with it all day :slight_smile: )

vec3 Halation(vec2 coords)
{
	/*
	 * #pragma parameter HALATION_INTENSITY "Halation Intensity" 0.6 0.0 1.0 0.1
	 * #pragma parameter HALATION_RADIUS "Halation Radius" 5.0 0.0 10.0 0.1
	 * #pragma parameter HALATION_SAMPLES "Number of Halation Samples" 20.0 0.0 100.0 1.0
	 * #pragma parameter HALATION_DEBUG "Halation Debug" 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0
	 */
	vec2 dx     = vec2(global.SourceSize.z, 0.0);
    vec2 dy     = vec2(0.0, global.SourceSize.w);

float intensity = params.HALATION_INTENSITY;
	float radius = params.HALATION_RADIUS;
	float samples = params.HALATION_SAMPLES * 2;

float divider = 0.0;
	vec3 C = vec3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

for( float i = samples/2; i < samples; i++)
	{
		divider += 1 / (i / samples);
		C += texture(Source, coords + vec2(radius * i / samples * cos(i) * PI / 8 * dx.x,
			radius * i / samples * sin(i) * PI / 8 * dy.y)).rgb / ( i / samples);
	}

return C / divider * intensity;
}
1 Like

Ohh so it’s baked into the actual CRT shader (it’s not using its own shader for the effect, ie. Crt shader + halation shader)?

Ehh seems clean to me, I understand what you’re saying though.

I don’t really see any issue with how you’re doing halation, and the output image looked fine to me.

Could you possibly do a screen where it has alot of black (like a title screen, or some text over black) so we could see how the halation/bloom halo looks?

The halation looks good to me though, can’t say alot about without actually using it (tweaking settings).