Please show off what crt shaders can do!

lol that’s true, didn’t notice as I’m always too focused on the smaller things : D

So “disable sprite limit” does more harm than good? I’ll leave it off then.

2 Likes

Sonic’s belly is one of the few really obvious issues. You can leave it on for the most part.

3 Likes

@hunterk

How many images for you think are too many for a single post? lol

I’m thinking of taking some more screens but I don’t want to destroy the thread, haha.

Edit: As I don’t want to add a single reply in thread just for thanking you for that answer. So thanks, lol.

I usually try to limit myself to ~4 :stuck_out_tongue:

I think uploading a bunch to an imgur album and then posting a couple of highlights here is a good way to handle it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say more harm than good - it’s a balance. Some games there’s no issues, some games there’s minor issues like that. I haven’t seen anything major from it.

1 Like

Yes it is the same. It is important to turn off/on the integer when switching systems to really make the lines even.

1 Like

@Syh

Hold up, I’m not following here… I have to turn integer scaling off to get proper lines - or I have to toggle it off and back on to get proper lines?

Like having it just set on in main config isn’t enough?

1 Like

every time I start a game I just turn off integer, then turn it back on again to be certain it scales exactly right. And I guess it is up to each one but I always set x as much as y. So he screen wont get wider. Of course it could depend on your screen size. I run on a projector so if I make the image way smaller when I play Snes games its no big deal, it’s still big.

Thanks, but sadly, still not working. Here’s the thing. Before I asked here I was trying to figure out what was causing the problem, so I just loaded grade.slang as pass 0, by itself, no preset. Same problem. Something is wrong with grade.slang itself for me. No idea what. Thanks anyway.

1 Like

Here’s another tweak of the guest shader, I turned the color temperature down to get rid of that yellowish hue on bright white colors giving whites a more natural look and brightened things up bit more overall, also turned the saturation down as well.

@Squalo Here’s your photo of Sonic from a previous post, I tried to make another comparison with my latest tweak, still doesn’t look quite like yours though lol.

@Nesguy I tried that preset you posted a few weeks ago, it looks like a spitting image of the crt-aperture shader which I believe is one of your favorites. I also realized that even though I have a 4k tv, my Shield TV displays things in 1080 upscaled to 4k, I believe. I just recently found out how to get true 4k resolution on the Shield though, was a option in the developer options I had to turn on so now I went from looking like this:

To this:

The heavy hitting shaders like royale look glorious in that resolution I never seen the shader look so good before that change, too bad it slows my Shield to a crawl depending on the core.

But anyway here’s how the new guest shader tweak looks:

Presets are still the same from when I posted them a couple posts up but this time I added or tweaked the parameters as follows: LUT Colors: 2.00, CRT Color Profile: 3.00, Color Temperature: -50.00, Saturation adjustment: 1.10, Gamma Input: 2.50, Horizontal sharpness: 2.00, Subtractive sharpness: 0.25 (30 for glsl), Glow Strength: 0.25, Gamma Out: 2.50. Everything else remains the same as my initial preset post.

4 Likes

whoa, what option pushes the Shield up to 4K?? I’ve been trying to do that for ages and never had any luck.

I just found this out recently myself but it’s in developer options>HDMI then turn on Show all supported modes in custom display modes. Restart your Shield and there you go. I’ll even take it a step further, you can even overclock the Shield now both the cpu and gpu, gotta be rooted though. Here’s some pics of what you can clock and how high it can go:

More info on that and where to dl the kernel from is here

Edit: I don’t think you need to be rooted to flash a kernel. Correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

If somehow you get your shield to handle Retroarch with the royale or guest shader in 4k please let me know what you did to achieve that. I tried overclocking the gpu, playing with various video settings and it still slows to a crawl especially on the flycast and yabasanshio cores if you load up royale or the guest shader. I don’t think the Tegra x1 is capable of handling those heavy shaders in 4k, they literally bring the Shield to its knees. You’ll see for yourself. It plays somewhat nice with the mesen and snes9x cores tho, haven’t tried too many other cores yet

Yeah, it’s not gonna happen, I don’t think. It’s a matter of pixels. It’s already running at 75%+ capacity with royale at 1080p and now we’re asking it to run the algorithm 4x as many times.

At least this opened up a whole new view for me, royale looks like a brand new shader upscaled it’s crazy especially the xm-29 preset, even crazier I can’t take any screenshots to show this difference because it somehow scales back down to 1080 res on any pic I take for some reason. Might be time to get a brand new pc, the tegra x1 on the shield can’t handle it but I bet a i9-9900k rtx 2080 ti gamer pc will. I feel spoiled after seeing that difference with the shaders.

I’m still not understanding exactly what the difference is. If you have “video_scale_integer = “true”” set in retroarch.cfg, why would putting it in a core override give any different behavior?

Ah, yeah, I tuned the xm29 preset for 4K and the scanlines completely fall apart at 1080p. They turn into flat lines :frowning:

@SkyHighGam3r I think the idea is that it needs to have the setting refresh itself. I haven’t had this issue on my machines, though.

If you’re running games at 4:3 aspect ratio integer scaling just ignore me, lol. What I was saying doesn’t apply to you.

@Dogway - that’s a very very nice preset. Lots of gritty old crt vibes from it, well done.

@Syh & @sonkun - great shots, gritty too, analog and organic. Lovely selection of videogames as well. @sonkun - your Sonic is a bit more saturated than my Sonic, especially noticeable in the blues, but your colours are great. Still, I will leave some simple parameters here so you can try my settings if you want. That Shenmue shot, by the way. The Dreamcast was so amazing…

IA
target_gamma = "2.100000"
monitor_gamma = "2.200000"
overscan_percent_x = "0.000000"
overscan_percent_y = "0.000000"
saturation = "0.950000"
contrast = "1.100000"
luminance = "0.950000"

CM
sat_r = "1.050000"
sat_g = "1.100000"
sat_b = "1.000000"
lum = "1.000000"
cntrst = "1.000000"
r = "1.000000"
g = "1.000000"
b = "1.000000"
rg = "0.050000"
rb = "-0.000000"
gr = "-0.000000"
gb = "0.180000"
br = "0.000000"
bg = "0.090000"
blr = "0.000000"
blg = "0.000000"
blb = "0.000000"

And people, Dolphin + Retroarch = insanity. I’m still experimenting, but here are some test shots.

7 Likes

Thanks for liking my shots.

I’m still needing to set up dolphin myself in RA. Just been completely resetting up RA as I downloaded then most recent version and started from scratch, so I could properly set my integer scale per system.

My shots aren’t showing all of the look that I normally use as I shut off two effects for the screens. Normally I have some low level static going on that you can barely see unless you like get within a 1ft of the display, and I’m also using mame_phosphor as my afterglow pass as it give the screen a nice red-hued glow and afterglow lol.

Here’s my color mangler settings if you’re interested, fairly saturated though.

CM
sat_r = "1.150000"
sat_g = "1.050000"
sat_b = "1.100000"
lum = "1.000000"
cntrst = "1.000000"
r = "1.000000"
g = "1.000000"
b = "1.000000"
rg = "0.000000"
rb = "-0.000000"
gr = "-0.000000"