Possible to run Dolphin in lower res?

So I really like to play Ps1 and N64 in as low resolution as possible with a sharp crt shader. So much I am considering getting a crt. But I am wondering if it is possible to lower the internal resolution to somewhere the same res N64 uses, or ps1, with Dolphin? I can not see any resolution toggle at all in the option menu for Dolphin.

Just thinking it could maybe look like you play it on a pvm then. (Almost… )

I’m having trouble getting dolphin to start right now, but you can always use a shader to force-downsample to an absolute (or fractional) size.

Ok I can try that. Wich shader is that? I hope it can run before the crt shader then.

You just need to do a pass of the stock shader first and set it to an absolute scale. This preset is a good example and is a good one to try before you go off and try to customize your own:

1 Like

Ok. Thanx, I will try when I get home from work!

“Failed to apply shader-preset” :neutral_face:

seems to work fine here. Can you post a log of the failure?

Sure but how do I find that? The log folder is empty

https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

These are the errors I found in it at the time

[INFO] [Vulkan filter chain]: Creating framebuffer 1024 x 240 (max 1 level(s)). [ERROR] [slang]: Non-semantic textures not supported yet. [ERROR] [slang]: Failed to reflect SPIR-V. Resource usage is inconsistent with expectations. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create preset: “D:\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\presets\crt-guest-dr-venom-stock.slangp”. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create filter chain: “D:\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\presets\crt-guest-dr-venom-stock.slangp”. Falling back to stock. [INFO] [slang]: Building pass #0 (N/A)

Ugh … sorry that looks messy …

Hmm, are your slang shaders fully up-to-date?

Yes. I also tried to remove the other stuff in it and only have this

shaders = 0

shader0 = …/stock.slang filter_linear0 = false scale_type_x0 = source scale_type_y0 = absolute scale_y0 = 240

Same problem

If you’re only leaving shader 0, you’ll need to set shaders = 1

Ok it works now! Thanx! Lets see If I can get the scanline effect I want to

1 Like

Ok I kinda got what I want, but its hard to get even lines. Pherhaps its just not possible to get the result i want on later games, or maybe it would look better if the actual ir was lower. I am not sure, might experiment with it some more.

Instead of doing the absolute scale to 240, try changing that “absolute” to “source” and the “240” to “0.5”

Yes it works. I also tried the same with the x. But it seems like older games were really made with scanlines in mind. Because menus and some text, etc just wont allign with the lines. I guess Gamecube is a bit too new for this :slight_smile:

got any screenshots of it not aligning?

Maybe it is aligned I am not sure. Its just that it wont look as good as 64bit games and earlier games. Its also so blurry :S

I mean… compare it with this

Sorry, y was at 0.45 at that image. Here is a image with both x and y at 0.5. I mean, it looks cool but not as good as OOT

Wait a minute … in Wind Waker it looks like it does some kind of bad anti aliasing, making it so blurry. But I cant find any toggle for that.