PPSSPP not working with shaders

Hi,

It looks like the latest version of PPSSPP core doesn’t work with shaders. With glsl I get a black screen and woth cg I get white screen in both game and retroarch menu.

Yes I’m seeing the same result as you are, however I got some shaders to work sporadically like PSP Color and lcdgrid v2 etc.

But it’s not bulletproof like other cores, definitely something wrong here.

Well. I had no success with any of them unfortunately.

Actually, I got some of them to work. Namely glsl and not all of them. With grid v2 psp color motionblur I get a black screen. None of the cg shaders work.

@embe

Have you got a chance to try out newer versions of the core and see if shaders work on them?

If you don’t have an GitHub account I could make an issue report so the developers maybe can see what’s wrong and fix it.

I have now downloaded the latest core and tried applying cgp shaders and it’s still not working. I have a github account so I’ll report the issue.

Well I just tried out the latest PPSSPP core I could find on the buildbot (PPSSPP v1.4.2-git) and tried it out with a couple of shaders.

psp-color.glsl seems to work, lcd-grid-v2 seems to work also, even combined but going fullscreen with any of these results in a black screen.

In windowed mode they work just fine.

If you combine motionblur.glsl to any of the mentioned above you get a black screen nevertheless.

Shaders on PPSSPP doesn’t seem to comply pretty well.

Overall the PPSSPP core is pretty solid, it’s just a shame shaders are broken.

Weird… the same goes for launching some games… Any of the Final Fantasy Dissidia gives me a black screen when fullscreen but starts in window mode. Unfortunately, only to crash Retroarch when I select New Game.

Yeah it’s really weird, all other cores I use have 0 problems with shaders.

I don’t recall the older version of the PPSSPP core had issues with shaders at all and it must be something that have happened when they made the new core based off 1.4.2.

Game wise I have Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Mega Man Powered Up and Mega Man Maverick Hunter X and these games seems to play just as good in Libretro as in the standalone version. But I haven’t played through either games from start to finish yet so results may vary.

Just for fun I tried to convert and split the psp-color.glsl to .fsh and .vsh for use with PPSSPP standalone, it did not work at all. I’m really hooked to all the RetroArch shaders!

Shaders are working just fine with 1.4.2. Even with GPU Handware T&L.

Just make sure you use you are suing GL under Settings -> Dirver -> Video Driver. I’ve been able to load crt-lottes.glsl and bunch of other working GL shaders. Just mind that not all of GL shaders work correctly as they are auto-converted.

The GLSL shaders aren’t autoconverted anymore. I converted them all by hand. If anything doesn’t work, get me a log and I’ll try to fix it.

Good to know. Thanks

GL under Settings -> Driver -> Video Driver is default as far as I know and have not been changed.

I can’t for the love of god get psp-color.glsl and motionblur-simple.glsl to work together, black screen all the time despite settings.

psp-color.glsl works in Windowed mode but not in Fullscreen mode and if you try motionblur-simple.glsl all by it’s own it’s black screen for you no matter what.

I have no clue what auto-converted means but I can assure you that these shaders work perfectly fine for all other systems and there is correct formatting.

If there is some kind of miracle I can test then I’ll gladly do it just to get psp-color.glsl and motionblur-simple.glsl to work together and in Windowed/Fullscreen mode.

EDIT:

This is how my psp-color-motionblur-simple.glslp shader preset file looks like:

shaders = "2"

shader0 = "shaders/motionblur-simple.glsl"
filter_linear0 = "false"
scale_type0 = "source"
scale0 = "1.0"

shader1 = "shaders/psp-color.glsl"
filter_linear1 = "false"
scale_type1 = "source"
scale1 = "1.0"

If someone can figure out why it doesn’t work for PPSSPP then I will be most pleased and happy!

OK. I’ve just tested it myself and not everything is working as expected indeed. I’ve used the latest RetroArch 1.7.1 release.

psp-color.glsl = works fine in Fullscreen mode
psp-color.glsl + motionblur-simple.glsl = doesn't work
motionblur-simple.glsl = doesn't work
1 Like

Thanks for testing this too!

I’m actually surprised you got psp-color.glsl to work in fullscreen mode, every time I hit F to enter fullscreen the screen goes black.

It’s really a shame because I have absolutely 0 clue what is causing it not to work.

Shaders for pretty much every system works perfectly fine, but PPSSPP is a huge dead end.

Well that is because I start in Fullscreen. If I change it back to Windowed it will go black. The same is vise versa. So I think GL subsystem of the emulator doesn’t work properly.

UPD:

And the only wierd thing I got in debug_log is this:

[INFO] [GL debug (Low, API, Other)]: Texture state usage warning: Texture 0 is base level inconsistent. Check texture size.

Everything else seems to look fine to me. At least no WARN or issue messages.

1 Like

Well, it looks like Citra also has this problem… using GLSL I always get the black screen.

1 Like

Dang, that’s really unfortunate to hear!

I was looking forward to try out Citra with my beloved shaders at some point but it looks like I have to put it on hold like with PPSSPP for now.

I genuinely wonder what is causing this behavior, because the shaders should just work, and it doesn’t seem to be core option related either.

I have set Internal Shader to OFF as well just in case it cause disturbance.

Anyone managed to get this to work?!