Project 64

Is it possible to import/Integrate Project 64/Project64k (N64 Emulator) to Retro arch? Also is it possible to import/Integrate Chankast(Dreamcast emulator) to retro arch?

Project 64 is unfortunately a mess of Win32-specific garbage, and I think Chankast might be in the same boat. To work with RetroArch, we need emulators that are designed to be platform-agnostic.

How possible is Project64 as an Libretro core right now?

This is an really old thread so Project64 must’ve changed alot because I constantly see new commits so…

still very unlikely. As in, not at all by us, but if someone else wants to do it…

They’ve done a lot of work on it lately but none of it has had any effect on its ease of porting to libretro.

Project64 standalone + angrylionplus-rdp-plus + Azimer’s Audio + input plugin of your own choice = A very good combination

However there’s a but, Project64 is rather a mess these days.

I have tried numerous newer builds (2.4.0.9999) and they all seem to crash frequently, some times for just looking at them wrongly and that turns me off quite quickly.

Project64 1.7.0.50 rev23 on the other hand, if you can find it of course is THE most stable semi-modern build you can get.

You can use newer plugins like angrylionplus-rdp-plus, Azimer’s Audio and you can even use semi-newer versions of Zilmar’s RSP (I think 1.7.1.9999 is the max before it fails)

cxd4’s RSP is compatible too.

That’s about as good as the Project64 experience gets before the honeymoon is over.

As with pcsx2, I don’t think you can expect to see Project64 as a core showing up in the buildbot anytime soon.

There is alternatives to Project64 though, and the m64p project is a good one these days.

I used the latest version that you can get on the website today and it didn’t crash and I liked it, so I thought it could be cool as an Libretro core but it’s okay if there won’t be :slight_smile:

Oh the horrors of the Project64 website, still prompting with installation files instead of compressed archives.

I don’t know if it’s fixed or not but the older installations contained adware/spyware which is something that scared me for good and I’m not touching those again.

I know, but I heard it is safe for good. I also have decent anti-virus so…

It doesn’t matter, newer versions of Project64 is still nagware software today.

Use the emulator enough times and a donate/support window will pop-up which makes it inoperable, sure you can modify the run count in the Project64.cfg to -1 but that’s not OK by any means.

Project64 is free and open-source and that means windows popping up is not acceptable, donate and support belongs to the Help section of the Toolbar and nothing else.

Yeah, but that’s one of the reasons why it would be cool as an Libretro core! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes it would be cool, but nothing else and I don’t think I would use it that much to be honest.

I’m better off with Project64 1.7 and the plugins I mentioned above.

If you give ParaLLEl-N64 some time it will be the #1 choice in the future and it will crush everything else.

I actually like Mupen64plus and ParaLLel-N64 more than Project64, just thought it would be an cool thought to share. :grinning:

You know what @Flooder I’m beginning to agree with you, I downloaded this and m64p includes everything, angrylion-rdp-plus included and it just works (feels weird to say that)

I’ve been trying to get newer builds of Project64 going but they are unstable to the core.

Been playing with the m64p project since this morning and I have had 0 issues so far.

No more workarounds for Perfect Dark anymore in LLE GFX mode required, no more switching around save files.

I’m thinking of ditching Project64 altogether, 1.7 included.

1 Like

I saw some commits on ParaLLel that “Add mupen64plus-video-angrylion-thr”. I was thinking maybe that means angrylion threaded, AKA rdp-plus. If it is, I grabbed a nightly and it wasn’t selectable from the core options.

1 Like

m64p is just as good (if not better) as PJ64 with similar plugins.

Maybe this one is a better choice for making a core?

ParaLLel has many problems with common games ever since it was released and i haven’t seen many fixes since then tbh so i wonder if the project is even alive.

2 Likes

Great perception, I totally missed it at first.

Seems like a massive commit when you browse through it and yes it really makes you think of angrylion threaded, AKA rdp-plus.

The reason it’s not selectable/not working might be because it’s not finished yet?

I’m definitely sure that the developers of the ParaLLEl-N64 core is aware of the angrylion-rdp-plus project and how well it works and these commits we now see is the start of something bigger?

@GemaH

Totally agree with you, I don’t own that many N64 games to begin with and only Perfect Dark have been somewhat problematic over the years but with m64p there are no more problems with this game, no more freezes, no more nothing.

m64p is a solid N64 experience, even with angrylion-rdp-plus.

I’m not even bothering with GLideN64 anymore because angrylion surpasses everything.

I’m pretty sure I saw interest from a dev somewhere about including rdp-plus in a core. I tested that plugin out through m64p and it was great to finally see consistent full speed angrylion performance. It seems to get updates pretty often too. Hoping to be able to use that in a libretro core soon.

There is tremendous work being put to the ParaLLEl-N64 core these few days, something big is definitely happening.

Seems like most of my time is spent on N64 currently, it would be nice to do other things soon.

That’s good i noticed one old bug being fixed in Goldeneye (the glitched intro screen that only took half of the screen).

I wonder what other fixes are going to be implemented.

You can disable the nag in the .cfg file luckily. Set the line “Run Count=-1”.