PS One on RetroArch?

Are there any guides anywhere on how to get PS One running via RetroArch? I’ve tried everything with Mednafen PSX, put various bios files in the roms folder, system folder, tried various games from various places, the games that actually show up in my playstation folder just quickly attempt to load with the little black screen popping up but nothing happens? It closes so fast I can’t read what the errors are!?

Maybe you are setting up correctly but your games are not in the correct format. are you using cue/bin images? Please don’t tell you are trying them zipped :slight_smile:

Well various BIOS on various folders is not what you need. You need the correct BIOS on the correct folder, and bin/cue images. Read this article http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Beetle/Mednafen_PSX

Im using bin/cue images and i’ve tried all the recommended bios files in either the system folder or the same folder as the games (I read online people saying system and people saying rom folder)

I have XBMC Gotham with…

NES SNES Genesis Lynx Neo Geo GBA MAME

All complete with 3D boxes and vids (apart from NES which has an issue rescraping locally), all runnning perfectly, saving, exiting etc etc… Playstation & Saturn just seem to be a nightmare!

Thanks Radius, that wiki is what I’ve used, those are the bios files I am currently trying.

1. I’ve got a ‘game.bin’ in my Playstation roms folder.

2. I’ve tried the correct bios files in the Playstation roms folder. In ‘System’ folder…in ‘Cores’ folder (I thought they’d go in the same folder as the games?)

3. I’ve tried a game.bin with a game.cue file.

I’m just baffled now, do we have to write our own .cue for every game or are they supposed to come with the .bin?

Cheers Andy

Correct dumps have bin+cue files but your cue might be bad. Also the BIOS files need to be those exact hashes otherwise it won’t boot.

Thanks Radius…and the bios files go in the same folder as the games?

If only I could find correct dumps! :wink:

No, BIOS folder go into the SYSTEM folder, whatever that is depends on your configuration (PATH settings, System directory)

So RetroArch on Windows 7 32, would the folder be: C/RetroArch/System?

Hi, I’m pretty new to retroarch myself, but I just got PSX emulation to work a few days ago after some struggles, heres what I learned: For North American region games, you need the scph5501.bin file in your system folder. I had some trouble finding 5501 for some reason, but I read that the 7003 bios is exactly the same, so I just renamed it to 5501. Renaming just any bios to 5501 doesn’t seem to work. Also, you need to load a .cue file into retroarch, not a .bin file. Heres a tiny program that can generate proper Playstation .cue files from a .bin: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/other/cue-maker-24/ You should be able to find out exactly where your system folder is by going to Settings->Paths and scrolling down… I’m not sure where the default is in windows, as I’m using ubuntu which annoyingly defaulted to my ‘home’ folder :slight_smile:

If you have the bios in place, then it’s probably an issue with your .cue file. More often than not the issue is as simple as a name mismatch between the .bin listed in your cue and the bin in the direction.

• Make sure your .cue and .bin filenames match
  • Open the .cue in notepad
  • Make sure the game name listed in the ‘FILE " GAMENAME.BIN" BINARY’ line matches the name of the .bin in your directory

It would be whatever to configure. RA doesn’t force any particular folder layout.

If you have done as told and still can’t get it to work run it with --verbose --menu and paste the log somewhere so we can check it out.

A good trick to know if Retroarch detect your BIOS is to check in “Core Information” it should say “status: present”

If it say that the BIOS if missing go in Settings, Path Option and change de system directory to the actual location of your BIOS

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. I’m going to have another go over the weekend using everything you’ve all told me. I’ll let you know how I get on!

Thanks Andy

Managed to get first game working (Street Fighter Alpha 3)…I already had the correct bios still in the correct ‘System’ folder, I just tried creating a .CUE using the program that amidst ham suggested (THANKS FOR THAT AMIDST HAM! ;))

I noticed after playing for about 10mins to test, I think I hit something in the RA menu while the game was open and when I unpaused, everything sped up to crazy speed and crackling!.. Not sure what I did or if it did it itself?

You probably disabled vsync, either through the menu or by hitting the spacebar.

Thanks hunter, shutdown now but I’ll look at that later.

Was the spacebar. Cheers Hunter :wink:

Now I just need to find decent PSOne .bins!! (pm anyone?)

Try to find redump images, those will work

Can you ‘Save’ with PSX? Says core doesn’t support it? Same with MAME aswell?