PS Vita Nightly Discussion Thread

Hopefully we can get support for n64, PSP, and PSX core!

But why? Vita supports PSP and PS games natively.

On other note, the recent buildbot zips are empty but I assume that’s because of an ongoing change in the build process to generate .vpk instead of .velf

Vita supports psp and ps1 nativly but only from the store. The native hack is userland only so we cannot use the native psp or ps1 emulation, we would needa kernal hwck for that. That is why having retroarch cores would be awsome. We would be able to run any rom rather than just from the store.

PSP kernel hack (there’s been a lot of them in the past), not necessarily a Vita kernel hack.

This^

Hopefully someone out there is hoarding a Kernal exploit and is willing to release it since 3.6 is going to be the golden firmware.

Installed The Dos VPK. Starting it up the core says its the Dos Core but going to an install.exe black screens and resets to quick menu. Didnt expect this one to really work as it requires installing the game after installing the program but eh worth a try.

EDIT: It was the Wolfenstein downloaded by the pc version of retroarch. Used that one as i thought it would have a better chance of working.

Just wanting to report that saving is broken in catsfc and exiting from the menu crashes the emulator.

[QUOTE=hinata;44031]Just wanting to report that saving is broken in catsfc and exiting from the menu crashes the emulator.[/QUOTE]Saving works fine with catsfc. You need to exit your game for it to save the file.

Save states don’t seem to work. They write the file, but whenever you try to load it, it says "Failed to load state from ux0/data/Retroarch/cores/savestates

There’s files there with the .state extension but just don’t get loaded.

[QUOTE=frangarcj;28161]Ezio’s testing

http://pastebin.com/cjLfzCHs

[ol] [li]catsfc works [/li][li]genesisgxplus works [/li][li]snes9-next works [/li][li]fceumm works optimizations? [/li][li]quicknes crashes while launching a rom (games boots for few seconds) [/li][li]beetle mednafen works [/li][li]gambatte works [/li][li]mednafen psx doesn’t compile [/li][li]pcfx mednadfen doesn’t compile the core [/li][li]mednafen pce fast doesn’t compile the core [/li][li]dosbox doesn’t compile (dirent.h not supported) [/li][li]yabause works at 2 fps [/li][li]fba crashes at the boot [/li][li]fmsx vita target not finished / doesn’t compile [/li][li]prboom blackscreen while launching a wad [/li][li]picodrive doesn’t compile [/li][li]nxengine doesn’t compile / it now compiles/works? / not tested [/li][li]gpsp doesn’t compile [/li][li]mgba doesn’t compile the core [/li][li]nestopia doesn’t compile error adding symbols, archive has no index, run ranlib to add one [/li][li]tyrquake doesn’t compile [/li][/ol] [/QUOTE]

First experience with RetroArch, though I think I know how to install things through HENkaku (and have some experience with various emulators). Question: Which one is beetle mednafen? I don’t see it. It’s a PS1 emulator, right? Is it actually working? Do we have sound or no?

Any idea when Savestates will be working?

Do not know if this is the fright place, but I made an icon set so each core does not share the same icon. Preview - http://imgur.com/a/V82Av DL - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmJXUd27fK3SDB1OEN5bjRBdVU/view?usp=sharing

[QUOTE=Melon Bread;44103]Do not know if this is the fright place, but I made an icon set so each core does not share the same icon. Preview - http://imgur.com/a/V82Av DL - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmJXUd27fK3SDB1OEN5bjRBdVU/view?usp=sharing[/QUOTE] Wow those look great! So how do we apply these? Also, anyone get Gambatte or save states to work?

@Melon Bread That looks nice!

Can anyone know if there is a CPS3 vpk?

I’m sorry if I’m beating a dead horse. I am not asking for a time-frame, because I understand these kind of things take time, but are there any plans or someone currently working on an n64 core port for the Vita?

So is there a reason we don’t have a PC Engine/ Turbo-Graffix core? We a mednafen core for NGP, VB, and WS but not PCE fast?

[QUOTE=hunterk;44108]@Melon Bread That looks nice![/QUOTE] Thanks just used icons and color background from the assets from RA

Just dump the appmeta folder from the archive into ur0:/ on your Vita via a FTP client & reboot console. Also no Gambatte and Save Sates are not working

[QUOTE=Melon Bread;44123]Thanks just used icons and color background from the assets from RA

Just dump the appmeta folder from the archive into ur0:/ on your Vita via a FTP client. Also no Gambatte and Save Sates are not working[/QUOTE]

Yeah i figured that out shortly after i posted but i wasn’t aware I had to reset my system to see the changes lol. Man i want gameboy without going through VHBL haha

I already said it elsewhere, if you want Mupen64 libretro on Vita, an OpenGLES driver implementation for libgxm is absolutely necessary. We need at least GLES2 at a bare minimum with FBO support, but it would be better if it was GLES3 honestly, that’d give us even more options and it would be better for performance as well considering the limited nature of GLES2 these days.

if you think any developer is going to go over every HLE video plugin in Mupen64plus and painstakingly handport it all back to libgxm code, I think you severely overestimate the amount of effort and time most devs are going to give that. I wish them good luck as well considering the clusterfuck that is N64 emulator code. I exercise extreme caution not to go down that road.

If the Vita homebrew scene wants lots of ready made content ready to be ported, a GLES2/3 implementation is looking increasingly absolutely necessary. Whoever is going to take on that task though is the big question right now. This [writing a GL driver] is something that professional engineers get paid a lot of money for to do at billion-dollar companies, think six-figure incomes. It’s not some trivial job that any bedroom coder can just jump into.

And even when something gets to be up and running, expect there to be plenty of bugs and teething issues along the way as well.

We got “semi-lucky” on PS3 that Sony/nvidia already wrote a GLES 1.0 driver implementation for libgcm that we could readily use (PSGL), and even then, it being GLES 1.0 meant it was still very limiting and not of much use to libretro GL cores.

In other words, no, this isn’t going to be available tomorrow or even the day after It requires organization and team effort and capable and willing people to work together with.

If people are willing and capable of working together with us on this, by all means, visit us at #retroarch or #libretro and let’s get busy developing on this. But I stress that writing a GL driver is not something for the faint hearted. Be absolutely sure of your capabilities in this regard and that you know what you’re getting yourself into.