PS Vita Nightly Discussion Thread

Are their any plans to release changelogs with the new Henkaku nightly’s? If they are there I can’t find them heh just the license.

Any plans for changelogs or has nobody stepped up to write them yet? If somewhere were to write changelogs, would that require testing each core individually, or is there some other way to be known of significant changes?

Any plans for changelogs? I realize someone has to write them, but how does one get info of what changed?

By that I mean how does the writer of the log find out what has changed?

I guess we will just keep updating this nightly thread with updates as they come along.

No response about PS1? Is beetle really working, like it says on the 1st page, or no?

Odd question. I want to play the save of Cave Story (NXEngine core) I have on my PS TV, the plan was to simply FTP into the savefile folder in retroarch and steal the save file. But it seems the NXEngine handles saves differently maybe? As I couldn’t find my save in there.

[QUOTE=Twinaphex;44131]I already said it elsewhere, if you want Mupen64 libretro on Vita, an OpenGLES driver implementation for libgxm is absolutely necessary. We need at least GLES2 at a bare minimum with FBO support, but it would be better if it was GLES3 honestly, that’d give us even more options and it would be better for performance as well considering the limited nature of GLES2 these days.

if you think any developer is going to go over every HLE video plugin in Mupen64plus and painstakingly handport it all back to libgxm code, I think you severely overestimate the amount of effort and time most devs are going to give that. I wish them good luck as well considering the clusterfuck that is N64 emulator code. I exercise extreme caution not to go down that road.

If the Vita homebrew scene wants lots of ready made content ready to be ported, a GLES2/3 implementation is looking increasingly absolutely necessary. Whoever is going to take on that task though is the big question right now. This [writing a GL driver] is something that professional engineers get paid a lot of money for to do at billion-dollar companies, think six-figure incomes. It’s not some trivial job that any bedroom coder can just jump into.

And even when something gets to be up and running, expect there to be plenty of bugs and teething issues along the way as well.

We got “semi-lucky” on PS3 that Sony/nvidia already wrote a GLES 1.0 driver implementation for libgcm that we could readily use (PSGL), and even then, it being GLES 1.0 meant it was still very limiting and not of much use to libretro GL cores.

In other words, no, this isn’t going to be available tomorrow or even the day after It requires organization and team effort and capable and willing people to work together with.

If people are willing and capable of working together with us on this, by all means, visit us at #retroarch or #libretro and let’s get busy developing on this. But I stress that writing a GL driver is not something for the faint hearted. Be absolutely sure of your capabilities in this regard and that you know what you’re getting yourself into.[/QUOTE]

Someone has apparently worked on emulating open gl on top of Vita’s low-end api: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlckKTF0r64

Perhaps we can start some type of community fund-raiser to draw in a developer who would be willing to put in the time to make a port of Open GL? I understand the scope of the project is big. The way I see it, we currently have 40K Vita’s with Henkaku installed, so I know it won’t be big money, but at least there would be some demand. Have Open GL ever been ported to any of the homebrew-enabled consoles in the past by the work of third-party support?

Near as I can tell, it’s not a core problem that’s keeping saves from loading, since it’s consistent across all cores.

[QUOTE=pkmaximum;44178]Someone has apparently worked on emulating open gl on top of Vita’s low-end api: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlckKTF0r64

Perhaps we can start some type of community fund-raiser to draw in a developer who would be willing to put in the time to make a port of Open GL? I understand the scope of the project is big. The way I see it, we currently have 40K Vita’s with Henkaku installed, so I know it won’t be big money, but at least there would be some demand. Have Open GL ever been ported to any of the homebrew-enabled consoles in the past by the work of third-party support?[/QUOTE]

That’s a closed-source porting studio though. They make game ports for other platforms, including Vita, PS4, etc. I think they also did the Daytona USA ports which were just Nebula Model 2 (the author, Elsemi, apparently works there too or at least worked there).

Latest build, fba neo can load big roms etc garou, kof98. Good progress :slight_smile:

Hello guys, i’m new here. I’ve got a problem with fba neo, on my vita. I tried to run Viewpoint, but it won’t load. The filebrowser shows the .zip archive, but not the uncompressed content. I’ve installed the nightly from 2016.03.08

Best regards, gHost

Hi there, having a libretro port on PSVITA via Henkaku is very nice, keep up the great work !

@gHost FBA loads zip files without unzipping them.

@Luthee Glad you’re enjoying it :slight_smile:

Love all the improvements brought with the latest nightly. Really nice adding the Vectrex core ran Berserk at like 50 FPS.

Anyway I updated the icon pack for the newest nightly

There are some cores that can benefit from a dynarec, yes, so that’s good news.

Alright, that’s cool. Thanks for the response!

2016-08-06_RetroArch

• All of the Snes9x cores work aside from Snes9X_2010.
  • The fba2012 core (the ones with out a underscore followed by a arcade system) crashes at launch.
  • stella seems to launch what roms I had but would only draw half the screen and had a weird blue/pink color pallet kinda like how mednafen_vb messes up

It’s a bit late, but didn’t have time to report yesterday. I updated to 2016-08-05, Gen Plus GX was assuming a 59.94 Hz refresh rate when I started it, is this right ? I then switched to 60.0 Hz, It felt smoother but that could be a case of placebo effect… >_< I tried Shinobi 3 (USA), Sonic 2 (USA) which ran very well, completed the first level of each. I also tried Hellfire (USA) which is a shooting game, this one had a few slowdowns (which were not present on a real MegaDrive/Genesis) (but I had “non-integer scaling” without bilinear filtering, and also “do not crop overscan” option on. Could any of these be problematic ?). On Gambatte core I ran Link’s Awakening DX (USA, EU) (Rev B), it ran fine. Overall, I’m very excited ! I have a first version VITA, playing all these games on an OLED screen is such a treat !

EDIT : Sound on Gen Plus GX core sounds accurate. I tested Shinobi 3, Sonic 2, and Hellfire with headphones on and default sound settings and they sounded fantastic.

[QUOTE=hunterk;44286]@gHost FBA loads zip files without unzipping them[/QUOTE]

Hello hunterk,

a few minutes ago i tested the current nightly build, but i’m afraid to tell you that it doesn’t load.zip files on my vita. Every other core runs fine and loads unzipped roms. The neogeo core, on the other hand, does neither. So far i’ve only tried Viewpoint, because it’s the neogeo game, that interests me most. I hope, somebody can help me with that issue.

Here are 2 dumpfiles, 1 trying to open as .zip and the other, trying to open the unzipped.

VP-unzipped.zip (73.6 KB) VP-zipped.zip (74.5 KB)