PS3 version of RetroArch v1.3?

may need to just delete the retroarch .cfg file… (or a clean install)

I tried the clean install and it didnt do anything ill try the retroarch cfg file

Update: that did not work either im on rebug 4.78 rex w/cobra

Sorry beyond what i have mentioned. I can’t help. The development team REALLY needs to give this platform a bit more attention then it has and support it a bit more. Not a fan of how the PS3 port has been treated and handled lately . Kind of sad as this was where the project started (on the PS3). These guys work for free and not demanding the time or efforts they give to us and share with us. However, The team should think about supporting the excising platforms before engaging in adding additional platforms (as adding additional platforms seems to slow down things overall ). I am sorry but makes little sense to me (a non developer) to engage in bringing more supported platforms to RetroArch when there are ports that need some much needed attention to even be USABLE…

I know the goal of the project is to support as many platforms as it can, but i see little point in that logic IF the exciting ports can’t get the needed attention.I mean yea RetroArch runs on all these platforms but if the PS3 version cant even boot a NES game . That’s an issue there and i would see no reason to bring more platforms on when these issues are there. … Then like on this latest release not much of a statement about the issues other were having. .

Great project, great group of devs apart of libretro team, but the PS3 version and maybe others needs so much needed attention that its simply not getting.

[QUOTE=STLcardsWS;33877]Sorry beyond what i have mentioned. I can’t help. The development team REALLY needs to give this platform a bit more attention then it has and support it a bit more. Not a fan of how the PS3 port has been treated and handled lately . Kind of sad as this was where the project started (on the PS3). These guys work for free and not demanding the time or efforts they give to us and share with us. However, The team should think about supporting the excising platforms before engaging in adding additional platforms (as adding additional platforms seems to slow down things overall ). I am sorry but makes little sense to me (a non developer) to engage in bringing more supported platforms to RetroArch when there are ports that need some much needed attention to even be USABLE…

I know the goal of the project is to support as many platforms as it can, but i see little point in that logic IF the exciting ports can’t get the needed attention.I mean yea RetroArch runs on all these platforms but if the PS3 version cant even boot a NES game . That’s an issue there and i would see no reason to bring more platforms on when these issues are there. … Then like on this latest release not much of a statement about the issues other were having. .

Great project, great group of devs apart of libretro team, but the PS3 version and maybe others needs so much needed attention that its simply not getting.[/QUOTE] I agree with you 100% its crazy how buggy it is… If they were going to release what they did, I just wish they would have left the PS3 out of the new batch of updates. It seems like it wouldve been easier on the libretro developers as well as the fans.

If we don’t put out a release, you guys say “just give us something, even if it’s not perfect.” If we put out a release that’s buggy just to keep up with the other platforms’ releases, you say we shouldn’t have. That sort of damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation is especially demotivating, just FYI.

PS3 homebrew is an extremely niche platform at this point and the only dev who even has one is Twinaphex, so it’s the same situation we have with the Wii except even worse, since none of the rest of us can even help test before distributing a release/snapshot. Ezio_PS (and netux79 in Wii-land) has been giving some much-needed attention to the platform, and we’re very thankful for that.

As for the new platforms, most of that work is being handled by people other than Twinaphex, so it’s not really cannibalizing PS3 dev time in that sense.

[QUOTE=hunterk;33879]If we don’t put out a release, you guys say “just give us something, even if it’s not perfect.” If we put out a release that’s buggy just to keep up with the other platforms’ releases, you say we shouldn’t have. That sort of damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation is especially demotivating, just FYI.

PS3 homebrew is an extremely niche platform at this point and the only dev who even has one is Twinaphex, so it’s the same situation we have with the Wii except even worse, since none of the rest of us can even help test before distributing a release/snapshot. Ezio_PS (and netux79 in Wii-land) has been giving some much-needed attention to the platform, and we’re very thankful for that.

As for the new platforms, most of that work is being handled by people other than Twinaphex, so it’s not really cannibalizing PS3 dev time in that sense.[/QUOTE] There hasn’t been an official PS3 release since 1.0.0.2. - That was two years ago. There’s a bit of difference between “buggy” and 75% of the cores not running at all, and it just crashing back to the XMB. “buggy” would be spotty compatibility, or bad aspect ratios in some cores, or maybe a core or two not running. This isn’t “buggy”, it’s completely broken. Everything for the most part worked just fine in the 1.2.2 release that Ezio put out.

Also - the PS3 isn’t “niche”. It’s a platform that has millions of CFW users, most of whom are knowledgeable, helpful, and willing beta testers - completely unlike the droves of mouthbreathing iOS and Android phone casual users that the Libretro team seems to be coddling these days.

Seems like everyone forgets that the PS3 is where Retroarch STARTED. Squarepusher coded it for PS3 before any other ports were made. Now it’s “all about the API” and media exposure. It kind of resembles when a great small local company who once made a great product gets bought by Microsoft, or Coca-Cola, or McDonalds - and it turns to watered down shit.

make sure you’re not using a custom font or background image. both of those options will cause 1.3 to crash back to the XMB.

[QUOTE=hunterk;33879]If we don’t put out a release, you guys say “just give us something, even if it’s not perfect.” If we put out a release that’s buggy just to keep up with the other platforms’ releases, you say we shouldn’t have. That sort of damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation is especially demotivating, just FYI.

As for the new platforms, most of that work is being handled by people other than Twinaphex, so it’s not really cannibalizing PS3 dev time in that sense.[/QUOTE] I remember september of 2014 we were told that a new retroarch was coming, but everybody else got updates except ps3 and if that build was anything like this one, thank you for not releasing it. me and probably most others wouldnt have been as frustrated If the build wouldve just been delayed. We are all vaguely familiar with the nuances that go into this. so if it takes time it takes time… … we know you all work for free. But I like others assume you would have enough pride in your work to explain the situation to us… Would we have been annoyed, sure. But not as frustrated as you putting out a bad product. We would have understood.

As for the new platforms, most of that work is being handled by people other than Twinaphex, so it’s not really cannibalizing PS3 dev time in that sense.[/QUOTE]

I think you guys have to look at it from the PS3 audience perspective.Have they not been told of various releases that did not happen on several occasions? Life happens, time happens, issues happen. Its not that I am complaining that release dates are not meant (i am sure there is some but not all of us). but with all the announcements that did not happen for the PS3 version. Would of been nice to see a bit more attention on the project with the v1.3 release so it could be usable. but even with the issues, no acknowledgement or even a detail of the proper download location (when many did not know to look at the FTP of xbins) just adds to the frustration of a PS3 user’s…

Its not that we do not appreciate the work effort and time that it has taken this project the last several years. but there is a dangling of the carrot effect here. While its not intentional it certainly feels that way…

But i wish others that have an issue would raise it with a tad more respect. Thanks Libretro for everything i hope you address the PS3 issues soon.

Edit: Also will try and gather the issues i have seen reported and add them into a thread, sometime in the next day or so.

okay ill change it to see if it helps

You’ve mentioned this a couple of times and it’s not quite accurate. While PS3 was an early target platform, RetroArch started out as SSNES, a CLI-based frontend for byuu’s bsnes emulator that targeted x86/64 Linux first. byuu, maister and blargg tried to port bsnes to PS3 using SSNES/libsnes but it never reached full speed so byuu lost interest. At that time, Squarepusher approached maister about using libsnes and SSNES to unify his existing standalone emu ports under one frontend. yadda yadda yadda, SSNES was renamed to RetroArch and libsnes was forked and renamed to libretro. This SSNES/libsnes lineage is why the face buttons are named like SNES buttons, for example.

Anyway, I understand you guys are frustrated. I’m not sure it sunk in, though, when I said “the libretro team” as far as the PS3 is concerned is literally just Twinaphex. One guy. While he’s (by far) the most prolific guy on the team, the rest of us are able to help out in various ways on the other platforms (most helpfully by submitting patches, of course, but also by digging through API docs for the platform, debugging issues and compiling test builds). While bug-reporting is helpful, it’s not as helpful as actual debugging (that is, spotting a bug and identifying the culprit, usually by running the program through a debugger, or at least getting a meaningful stack trace through something like Android’s built-in logging). Debugging is very difficult, time-consuming and frustrating on PS3.

I agree that the hordes of frothing mobile-users are a squeaky (not to mention insistent and ungrateful) wheel, but again, they’re not actually taking much time away from PS3 because we have other contributors debugging and submitting patches for those issues, since those contributors actually own the hardware and can effectively debug issues.

Nevertheless, I’ll make sure Twinaphex is aware of your frustration and hopefully he’ll be able to spend some time on the platform soon.

[QUOTE=STLcardsWS;33885]I think you guys have to look at it from the PS3 audience perspective.Have they not been told of various releases that did not happen on several occasions? Life happens, time happens, issues happen. Its not that I am complaining that release dates are not meant (i am sure there is some but not all of us). but with all the announcements that did not happen for the PS3 version. Would of been nice to see a bit more attention on the project with the v1.3 release so it could be usable. but even with the issues, no acknowledgement or even a detail of the proper download location (when many did not know to look at the FTP of xbins) just adds to the frustration of a PS3 user’s…

Its not that we do not appreciate the work effort and time that it has taken this project the last several years. but there is a dangling of the carrot effect here. While its not intentional it certainly feels that way…

But i wish others that have an issue would raise it with a tad more respect. Thanks Libretro for everything i hope you address the PS3 issues soon.

Edit: Also will try and gather the issues i have seen reported and add them into a thread, sometime in the next day or so.[/QUOTE]

I reply to this topic with the same level of respect that I and others who report bugs and ask questions are treated here. This is probably the most stressful part of this to deal with. Not the buggy or broken releases, or the slow or complete lack of support. But the snarky, mocking attitude many (but not all) of the libretro team have adopted towards anyone who asks a question or poses a suggestion.

I would love to contruibute more - if anyone could direct me to a list of downloads I would need to install to set up a proper PS3 compile environment for Retroarch, and the proper way to turn on debugging logs in the current PS3 release, I would be all over sorting out what bugs I can. I’m not a coder, but I am an experienced reverse engineer, and debugger. I helped code and debug many of the PSP releases of these same emulators with Zx-81 back in the day.

You need the official PS3 SDK, to which we can’t legally link, and libretro-super will handle the build process other than that. In RetroArch’s settings, under logging, make sure the logging level is set to 0 (debug). I have no clue how to get the actual logs out of a PS3 environment, though.

I have not had that experience here. I feel the libretro team has been extremely helpful and a pleasure to work with. Even browsing the forum reading other posts and topics I have not seen that.

In my dealing with anyone apart of libretro has been positive. Its all how you approach the situation. Approach it with respect and respect is given.

Sorry if I;m “hijacking” this thread but I got my hands on a 1.3.0. cex version for my rebug cfw and while i love the xmb interface I can’t seem to load roms from my sd card… When looking for a directory it will spot the sd_dev but after that it will not recognize any subfolders… Is this due to some kind of bug? Or should i revert to an older version of ra, as i can’t be bothered with placing roms on a usb stick. Thank you for your hard work and dedication :slight_smile:

The release of v1.3 for the PS3 is riddled with bugs unfortunately, best to stay on a version like v1.0.0.2 . Zipped roms on most cores (expect arcade mame and fba) have to be unzipped. Most cores are broken and will not play ANY games. So there is not even much point in trying to pull put your hair. Most features are not working as advertised. Its really a broken release. Which can happen with any hobby project.

But i must say the support on the PS3 version and just information of the PS3 version is about non-exsistant which is very sad occurance. Time is always a factor but in how many weeks, months since the broken v.1.3 release. There not been a single official statement about the issues and i can’t understand why? I understand issues will happen and time is always an issue (these guys do this as a hobby). but complete silence on so many issues is something that just bothers me to be completely honest. … How long is 5 minutes? To give some sort of status update. We do not want a timeline as those are always rough (understandably) but some acknowledgment that we know there is issues and we hope to resolve them soon for a proper release. Is that honestly to much to ask?

The ps3 version was hyped by no other then libretro/retroarch in various announcements throughout the past year or really two. We finally see an official release that is said to be working properly on the release notes. But we find out it barely worth the time to download, because it brings the user alot frustrations that CAN & COULD OF BE AVOIDED with some simple dialog to the user’s who have supported this project for a very long time. I just do not understand it…

Hard to support a project that is not giving any acknowledgement to the issues or when a fix may be provided…

Appreciate all the work throughout the years, and the time and dedication it takes for a large project such as this. Always will be appreciative of that but this silence , is just something i can not support.

Things broke down, plain enough, and debugging is so painful on PS3 and there is so much other stuff to do on platforms that people actually use that it’s hard for me to focus on patching it up again.

Also, I am totally fed up with being the only single one guy in the entire PS3 scene who wants to lift a damn finger on this codebase.

So, unless I start seeing some support that amounts to more than just words of encouragement, if you don’t care, I don’t care, and you will just have to wait on when I get around to looking at the PS3 version again.

I don’t want to disappoint anybody but honestly, in years of development, barely anybody ever contributed anything meaningfully for PS3. You guys have voted with your feet apparently, and you guys talk of ‘support’, yet none of you have actually done anything over all these years. I have been sitting here waiting for devs to join and waiting for people to contribute from these console scenes. Nobody ever came, everybody talked as bad as possible about us as if we are ‘snobby’ or ‘negative’ or ‘bad’, truth is , we are the only guys here getting off our butt and putting work in here for no benefit to us, and for that we are BAD SOMEHOW. Strange logic.

I am the only one with the passion to keep these platforms alive for so many years, but the actual DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT that i hoped to engender never arrived. Anybody can scribble a bunch of words, it doesn’t mean ‘shit’ in terms of support. Get off your butt and start programming already and helping me the fuck out here. That is REAL SUPPORT, I don’t buy shit for a bunch of words scribbled here for moral support. Programming is not hard and if you truly care then that is the road you need to walk ,scribbling words is never going to amount to code working.

What you have here is entitlement issues, plain and simple, and people misunderstanding what open source projects are all about. It is not ‘one man coding team has to do all the work for the amusement and benefit of crowds of people’. If it gets to that stage it becomes an abusive relationship. I need some help from people who can at least have modicum C/C++ experience and who care. This is an overwhelming work load. You people might think this is a company, it is not. It is seriously, seriously, seriously understaffed (read: the actual ‘team’ you talk of mostly consists maybe of one full-time guy and maybe some contributors here or there who just work on things as they feel like it and with no real guarantees or commitment).

Thanks for the Reply, i understand where you are coming from in various points, but you also must understand all we request was a status update … I understand things are not in the desired state all the time for every port. Its a constant struggle with any project and apart of development and your being apart of so much and then only guy on PS3 port. Yea that is alot and i understand that aspect very well.

There have been alot of contributions on the PS3 port, still maybe not enough and in the area’s you need or are speaking of, but unless you state you need help or want help on the PS3 port then how can anyone know? I know its Open Source and honestly one should not have to ask to see contributions as one could contribute to the project, but we have seen various contributions on the PS3 project. but in forks like CaptainCPS-X - FBalpha Retro loader, or even doobz original RetroXMB Project and some of his other contributions to the project (testing of various cores and such). I know there has been various other such as aldostools who have supported RetroArch in various projects also.

Its nothing to do with entitlement here from me, but simply seeking some type of status update… If you need help in any area’s on the PS3 port let it be known in what area’s and hopefully help can arrive and if there is any task or anything i can do. Always here for the project and yourself always been one of my favorite developer’s as emulation is one my favorites things on a homebrew console. So i have always been appreciative of the project but user’s needed some type of status and now they have it and thanks for that… My only request is to please consider more dialog as the guessing game is no fun for us after seeing so many great announcements and another request have FUN with this, otherwise no point in putting yourself through it.

Thanks and i hope you understand where I was coming from, Hopefully you see some help on the PS3 port , as i understand your issuees also. Only thing i can say is, iif there is anything positive i can bring to the table . Even if its awareness then i will do what i can.