Reicast, HLE or LLE?

Is Reicast an HLE or LLE emulator? I have the doubt to see that it has support LLE BIOS and before also HLE.

Some of each. The graphics are HLE, as is necessary for things like upscaling. There is an HLE BIOS, but it also supports loading a legit BIOS.

1 Like

I am a little confused. :exploding_head: The scale of the graphics are by HLE Bios? Flycast now has the possibility to load HLE Bios. How could I change the scale with the previous Bios LLE?

I am talking with a friend and he tells me that Demul is an LLE emulator and is more precise. There is also an important reason, Flycast> Reicast are based on nullDC and have many patches. I thought Flycast was written from scratch, although it is based on Reicast.

Thanks for the patience.

Whether the BIOS is HLE or LLE has little to do with anything. HLE vs LLE is just an explanation of how something is emulated. LLE means you look at how the device actually works and attempt to recreate that structure/behavior in software. HLE means you look at the output and try to create that same output by any means necessary. Most emulators include some combination of both LLE and HLE.

HLE is typically associated with being faster and making it easier to add features that did not exist in the original hardware/device, while LLE is associated with increased accuracy and being better able to “just work” without fiddling with various options.

In the case of graphics, a good example is the N64, where HLE plugins like Glide/GLideN64 allow for all sorts of nice upscaling and texture replacement, etc., while LLE plugins like Angrylion are confined to native res but work with almost any game without needing to enable/disable framebuffer effects, etc.

For BIOS, HLE has the obvious advantage of not needing to supply an external file dumped from an actual console, while LLE has the advantage of not introducing any potential for bugs, in case a game encounters behavior that didn’t exist in the original device’s BIOS.

Does that help?

6 Likes

I never used demul because it won’t run on linux, but afaik there are features like upscaling, so i guess that makes the rendering part HLE. It’s hard to tell for the other stuff with demul being closed-source, but considering the system requirements are quite higher than flycast, there is probably more LLE stuff in demul.

2 Likes

Yes, perfect! Thank you!

I used it at the time, like other emulators in Windows, before in Linux there were no options for Dreamcast. Now I use only Linux and I am very happy with Flycast, I just wanted to clarify some points, I am a newbie in this.