Reicast VMU saving and "Boot to BIOS"-Crash

Hi guys! First I want to thank everyone involved in porting Reicast to RetroArch, works way better than Makaron or demul! I can boot into games and they work near perfectly, amazing in this early stage!

But I’ve got one major problem, everytime I start a game the Emulator wants the date and time to get a setup. I can’t save either on the VMU, maybe because the VMU isn’t formatted properly? Anyway, when I select “boot to BIOS” it crashes instantly and I need to edit the core_config manually. I think my BIOS files are OK cause it boots games correctly. Any idea how to solve the saving issue?

Here’s the debug-log from retroarch(Win 8.1 x64, RetroArch 1.3 x64):

[reicast]: Got size: 640 x 480.
context_reset.
A8
vmem reserve: base: 3A240000, aram: 5a240000, vram: 3E240000, ram: 46240000
Resetting mem
Mem alloc successful!Loaded D:\Games\Emulatoren\RetroArch_SNESPC\system\dc\dc_boot.bin as bootrom

Loaded D:\Games\Emulatoren\RetroArch_SNESPC\system\dc\dc_flash.bin as nvram

Using Recompiler
Sh4 Reset
recSh4 Init
@@      ngen_ResetBlocks()
Freeing fpcb

I think having to go through the date/time is unavoidable at the moment. I just skip through it without entering anything. Only takes a few seconds.

Found a workaround for the unformatted VMU problem: Just created a new VMU with Demul, copied the .bin-File over to the /system/dc folder and renamed it. Now I have access to save files :slight_smile: Hope force feedback will be added :smiley:

I tried this with nullDC but had no joy. What did you rename the .bin file to?

Hi Charco, you rename it for exemple : vmu_save_A1 You can change the letter (between A and D I think) and the number ( between 1 and 4 ) as you wish. But as DK999 said, it works with Demul (I confirm it) but not sure with NullDC (not tried)

Thanks, I will try that when I get home from work today.

copying the file did not work for me

Me either.

While the BIOS time and date setup bug is still present, you can fix the VMU loading/saving. As DK999 said it works for Demul, it also works for NullDC.

Take a save file from NullDC called vmu_data_port01.bin and copy/overwrite it to vmu_save_A1.bin, vmu_save_B1.bin, vmu_save_C1.bin and vmu_save_D1.bin in /system/dc of Retroarch.

You can work around that bug by placing this file in system\dc: https://github.com/libretro/reicast-emulator/blob/master/WorkDir/data/dc_nvmem.bin

Didn’t work for me. It is still asking for date/time. Using Reicast from 09-24-2016 since the latest core is broken for Nvidia as it seems.

Huh, it worked for me originally, but now trying again I’m getting the time enter screen every boot :confused:

Did you figure any other solutions out?

Nope. The guy who originally provided the nvmem file said it stopped working for him too :confused:

Bummer. Also doesn’t look like RetroArch recognized AHK keystrokes. Was going to try to script my way around it

Use SetKeyDelay, -1, 110 before any Send AHK commands and they will work with Retroarch.

Can you post a full example? Thanks so much for sharing!!!

; Pause 4Joy20:: SetKeyDelay, -1, 110 Send {p} Return

I use this small AHK script to map button 20 of my 4th gamepad to send P (Pause) to Retroarch through the Launchbox frontend.

The SetKeyDelay AHK command keeps the button pressed for 110ms so Retroarch can read the key. Without SetKeyDelay some emus can’t register the key-presses because they happen too fast.

(MAME is a special case which requires the command line parameter: -keyboardprovider dinput so it can recognize the AHK dinput commands.)

Hey guys! I had the same problem, and renaming files and stuff did not work for me, I found a thread of somebody that shared his dc_flash.bin file with everybody. Since then its been working flawlessly for me.

Just download this dc_flash.bin and override the one you have. Should not ask for the date/time anymore:

Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

Be careful with BIOS files from unknown sources! For example the dc_flash.bin you posted does not match any of the known MD5 posted here: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Dreamcast

Check with: http://onlinemd5.com/