Remote storage of roms

Is there any way or development of being able to remote play roms for example from a NAS drive?

It’s fairly manual, but you should be able to add an entry to your /etc/fstab that mounts a network share and that will appear transparent to the OS for launching games, etc.

Can you give an example of the line I would need to add there? I’m a noob to what to add. I know how to nano etc just not sure what to put

Eg my nas has an ip for example 192.168.1.2

Can you give me an example of what to put in there. I can use nano etc but wouldn’t know for the life of me what line to put in there

My share, for example, would be

192.168.1.2/volume1/Roms/

i have a smb share on my network that I connect to (not in Lakka, just regular ol’ Ubuntu) with this line:

#media drive
//192.168.1.105/sda1 /media/smbshare cifs username=whatever,password=whatever,uid=1000 0 0

This mounts my remote ‘sda1’ drive to my local /media/smbshare mountpoint using cifs. It authenticates with the username and password.

Can’t seem to write to it. Always read only, logged in as root. Tried sudo or su and says can’t be used?

Ah, yeah, Lakka makes at least some things read-only, not sure why. Maybe kivutar can provide some other suggestions.

You can do it with the old fashioned way.

First of all create the mount point folder :

mkdir /storage/roms/nas

Create and save (CTRL+O then Enter to save then CTRL+X to exit) a script called autostart.sh

nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh

If you need to mount samba share

#!/bin/sh
 (sleep 5;
  mount -t cifs -o username=[B]xxxx[/B],password=[B]xxxx[/B],rw //192.168.1.2/volume1/Roms /storage/roms/nas;
 )&

Make the script executable

chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh

Test it

/storage/.config/autostart.sh

Check it by typing (wait 5 seconds):

mount | grep cifs

If it’s ok it will mount it automatically when you reboot.

Source

worked an absolute treat! thanks so much! only thing i had to change was the path to my share, as my samba share didnt require the volume, i.e //192.168.1.2/Roms

thank you!!

Glad it worked :wink:

Hey! I know this is an old topic, but it’s still the latest I found regarding this issue. I have the share all set up and working, but I cannot load the roms/files! It just says it failed to load the game and nothing else happens. Nothing in the logs or anything! I’ve tried both zipped roms and unpacked roms, but nothing works. I have a fast and stable connection, so it should work! I’m running the latest Lakka version on a Raspberry Pi 2.

Please help!

We have an issue regarding this problem on RPi.

Please help! I have an issue with remote roms too. Tried all the above but couldn’t get to work. Below my setup, no credentials needed for shared folder.

#!/bin/sh (sleep 5; mount -t cifs -o username=,password=,rw //192.168.1.2/Roms /storage/roms/nas; )&

When running “/storage/.config/autostart.sh” im getting this: /storage/.config/autostart.sh: line 5: //192.168.1.2/Roms: not found

I’ve tried opening all ports :smiley: and given permission for file and printer sharing through firewall too.