[REQUEST] crt-guest-dr-venom with interlacing support

Yes, you got it quite right…no worries, masks work as before.

There is an option to play without scanlines, bloom, fixed substractive sharpening and better color clamping.

If there are some issues i overlooked or incidentally caused, it will be corrected ofc. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was just curious if I was correctly assuming what the changes were doing.

Thanks, I’ll check it out sometime today.

The new substractive sharpeness default of 0.01 makes some white text on dark backgrounds have a smudgy look with a sort of “ghosting” around it. It made the image overall a bit blurrier too. Popful Mail’s menus before you get in game is where I noticed these differences the most. Not sure if all that’s intentional, but setting it back to 0.05 looks much better to me.

1 Like

What do you have the horizontal sharpness set at?

It’s set at the default (5.25).

Here’s a comparison shot: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/DPKWWNNX

All other params are left at their default and I’m running at 1440p. 0.01 makes the image pretty muddy compared to 0.05, IMO. Sort of looks like it’s trying to simulate composite a little?

2 Likes

I changed the substractive sharpening a bit with the incomming version, so it’s easier to use. Previous version used 0.05 (or 0.01) of absolute value as default, new version uses relative values in relation to the zero of the filtering function at 1.0 offset. It’s not a sentimental value or something, but you can get a specific filtering at 100% strength. It’s should be more intuitive to use with time. :wink:

Otherwise, back to the topic. I managed to add filtered interlacing to the shader by expanding the filtering kernel a bit. Since i used some shady moves, it requires some testing, feedback is also nice.

I also improved scanline colors and bloom. If there are no issues, it could be the new updated version.

Edit: remove link.

3 Likes

I did a quick glance over the code, is this right?

#pragma parameter interm “Interlace Mode (0.0 = OFF):” 1.0 0.0 300.0 1.0

Shouldn’t it be “1.0 0.0 2.0 1.0”

Unless I’m misreading/misunderstanding something.

1 Like

I noticed a moment ago lol. 3.0 is fine.

Update:

https://mega.nz/#!MgJy1QiZ!TBiUcNzBGVyxVkO12I4igbU9zf_ZKfs5A47yZEYi4Fc

I polished the version with interlacing added, should be regular now.

Edit: I added auto disable for raster bloom calculations with higher resolutions. The speedup is very notable.

1 Like

@guest.r

I know we’ve had this discussion already, and I’ve spent the last 2 hrs searching threads for it, but would you be so kind as to explain what the different interlacing modes are doing in guest-dr-venom? (Though I think there’s a difference between the glsl and slang versions of it? At least from looking at the code that seems to be the case.)

Really sorry about this, I’m going to save it as a note somewhere this time.

1 Like

Sure, can explain. :grinning:

Mode 1 is standard interlacing, mode 2 (GLSL) is interlacing without flickering (for 30 fps content, screenshots, personal preference…), mode 2 (SLANG) is similar to GLSL, but a bit sharper. I might update this. Mode 3 is linear filtering, if you want a consistent, but sharper look, also nice for low-res content since scanlines are removed.

As i mentioned, mode 1 is more authentic, but has issues with the screen moving, 30 fps, speed-up turbo mode, screenshots etc.

1 Like

So are both mode 2’s (glsl & slang) for 30fps content (with slang being a sharper version of it), or only the glsl mode 2? (I think it’s both mode 2’s being 30fps, I just wanted to clarify and make sure I’m understanding you correctly.)

Also thanks saved it, so I don’t have to ask again what they do, lol.

1 Like

Yeah, any mode 2 isn’t switching between odd/even lines and are for ‘30 FPS’ content. I might update the SLANG version to match the GLSL one, since it’s better (a bit smoother) for higher resolutions.

2 Likes

Hi guest.r, is it possible to keep scanlines on interlacing mode? Since in real CRT, scanlines are still exists just like other pixel contents they all juddered with 480i.

1 Like

I was also wondering this. I was using Easymode-halation and the scanlines are still there when the screen is paused, but on venom it seems all the lines are filled. Is this intentional?

Hey there. It’s true my interlacing modes don’t produce scanlines. It’s more or less intentional, because high res scanlines would more or less look uneven and low/half-res scanlines could not fit the situation. It’s a different approach as Easymode Halation does.

I could also imagine that classic TV interlaced modes look different compared with PVM’s and BVM’s.

I could work a bit in this direction though, add an option or similar.

4 Likes

The problem with your approach is that when your shader enters interlaced mode, it brightens much more than when on 240p content, which is not what happened on real CRTs. Since Easymode-halation has the scanlines alternating in 480i mode, the brightness remains the same, as it should be.

Having an option would be great. And it should even be the default, as I believe the current method is not usable on games that change mode mid-game (a lot of games do). It’s impossible to play, for example, Pokemon Stadium with your shader as it will be having constant brightness fluctuations depending on the mode.

@guest.r Thanks for your great shaders absolutely fabulous :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I noticed one thing lately that with uneven pixel aspects in some cores the shader has wrong / too sharp output and/or text on screen can look bad.

For example the PUAE core has this issue at default settings. I looked into the core options and when I set the Resolution from “Automatic” to “Low 360 px” in most cases the shader output looks great. But at “Automatic” or “High 720 px” (which seems the default for Automatic) the shader output is too sharp.

I tried lowering the Horizontal Sharpness in the shader by a lot for the Automatic / 720px mode, but it doesn’t look as good as running the shader in “Low 360 px” with normal sharpness settings. I’m using your guest-dr-venom shader btw. Is there a solution /setting that makes the shader look good by default also for the “Automatic” and “High 720 px” modes?

1 Like

I’m afraid there is no simple quick fix for this situation other than running the ReShade version over the top of Retroarch. I understand the problem and the shader has a decent filtering width, but with “720 px” you must really go low with horizontal sharpness to achieve a medium effect. OTOH i have made a decent collection of shaders for WinUAE and FS-UAE available at my Github page and it’s a fine khm. alternative. :wink:

1 Like

Ah that’s a pity. I wasn’t only looking at PUAE , but for example various PS1 games use these higher resolutions too. For example Crash Bandicoot, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Quake II all run fully in 512x240 resolution (they are considered technical achievements). And with those higher horizontal resolutions the shader output is not as good as with 320x240 games. Other games sometimes use these 512x240 and 640x240 modes too for example for intro pictures. Too bad it’s not an easy fix, it would have been nice. I am also using the mega bezel version of your shader so I’d rather not switch between emulators and stick with RA to keep everything looking the same. Thanks anyway for looking into it :+1:

1 Like