RetroArch 1.3.6+ Beta released for PlayStation3 - PS3 is back!

@iblis121 give a try to this test package and do a fresh installation https://mega.nz/#!8JJW3SQL!Hje7MpPewECAlZmOPBul41dI2AXc4T-YqbaAjrMV33M

@underball about 1. you already replied yourself, we could update it directly on source; about 2. it’s an issue for ps3 port, no idea why it doesn’t work and mostly how it should work tbh :frowning: maybe explaining more or someone else could surely understand better than me

[QUOTE=Ezio_PS;44293]@iblis121 give a try to this test package and do a fresh installation https://mega.nz/#!8JJW3SQL!Hje7MpPewECAlZmOPBul41dI2AXc4T-YqbaAjrMV33M

@underball about 1. you already replied yourself, we could update it directly on source; about 2. it’s an issue for ps3 port, no idea why it doesn’t work and mostly how it should work tbh :frowning: maybe explaining more or someone else could surely understand better than me[/QUOTE]

Ok let me explain:

In the original Windows version of the Prosystem emulator, both the source code, and the compiled executable version had a file packaged with it called “Prosystem.DAT” which is a plain text database file that contained MD5 hash values for all known Atari 7800 games. Below those hash values, were the game’s name, and a variety of variables that provided instructions to the emulator how to function if a game’s hash value matches the one in the database. The emulator checks this database any time a game is launched, to match the hash value and adjust bankswitching, audio, and region settings when needed. This was done because not all 7800 games were the same rom size, or bankswitching scheme, so the “Type”, “Flags”, “Audio” and “Region” values were passed to the emulator to adjust the execution of the emulator code.

Example entry:

[4332c24e4f3bc72e7fe1b77adf66c2b7] title=3D Asteroids type=0 pokey=false controller1=1 controller2=1 region=0 flags=0

Many of the original Atari branded 7800 titles don’t need this DB to be present, because they used standard 16k and 32k roms, using common hardware that is automatically detected by the emulator. The original 9 launch titles are examples of these. But later on, games released for the 7800 became larger and more complicated, using custom audio chips (POKEY), alternate rom bank switching methods, and graphics modes (Activision/Absolute Entertianment, and Froggo Games) and larger rom sizes that required custom Prosystem.DAT DB values to tell the emulator how to process the game rom properly.

The file was packaged with the emulator as an additional resource file inteded to reside in the install path, so that end users could add new games to the DB, because the Atari 7800 has a very active homebrew game creation and hacking scene. In fact - Homebrews and Hacks now outnumber original commercial games, and many are still works in progress.

Whomever ported Prosystem to Retroarch decided to alter the original source code significantly, and incorporated the Prosystem.dat file into one of the Retroarch C++ source code files, so that the DB was part of the compiled emulator core. I don’t knwo why this was done, but it’s already that way, so asking someone to recode it would be a nightmare. The problem is, since that prosystem.dat is no longer a separate, user-editable file, new game and hack game values can’t be added, so many of those games wont’ work.

The bigger problem though, is that on the PS3 Retroarch port specifically, The emulator is NOT calling on the db for hash values for any games launched, and then parsing the flags and audio values to the emulator core. I know this, because games that don’t function are the same games the would not function on the original windows port, if the Prosystem.dat file was not present in the install folder.

However, the values are being detected and read properly on the Retroarch port for Windows and Android.

[QUOTE=Ezio_PS;44293]@iblis121 give a try to this test package and do a fresh installation https://mega.nz/#!8JJW3SQL!Hje7MpPewECAlZmOPBul41dI2AXc4T-YqbaAjrMV33M[/QUOTE]

Tried the test package, and the result was different this time. The program didn’t freeze at a black screen, but instead booted up into a black screen and then went immediately back to the XMB.

Well, i got the same result, i just missed some folders, so try the same fix only after you installed cex version, it should work at least for fbalpha and fceumm, while the other cores should give black screen if i understood fine the issue.

Worked, just gave FBAlpha and Fceumm cores a try.

Hello all I’m new here, nice came report a problem in the retroarch 1.3.6 on ps3 cfw rebug cex cobra 4.80, I can’t load my save of super nintendo, I can save, but when I load the game is with the sound bug or crashes, tested with various super nintendo roms, in retroarch version 0.9.9. Another bug is when I try to change the language, the interface is darkened and waited for a long time, and the screen remained dark and the retroarch is locked, ps out and enter the retroarch and everything is normal and translated, on windows 10 pro is also, and any language is also

@iblis try the other cores, maybe they work! it was only a issue related to signature of the eboot.bin :slight_smile: If so, i’ll provide you a proper fix to install over the cex version on a new fresh installation.

@Drag, any roms? i seem i get the saves working on my end, can you specify better? About translation it will work fine once you try to load a core, at least on ps3.

Tried FBA, FCEUMM, Genesis Plus GX, SNES9x Next and VBA Next cores, and they do indeed seem to be working thus far!

@Drag, any roms? i seem i get the saves working on my end, can you specify better? About translation it will work fine once you try to load a core, at least on ps3.

donkey kong 1, 2 3, Super Mario word, Street Fighter, Yuu Yuu Hakusho final and etc … these roms are located on usb_000 and zip compressed , and about the translation, I tested it on the ps3 and it stays on the screen dark and the retroarch lock, any language, I can only exit by pressing the PS button. Thank you for your attention and sorry for my bad English

Well, it confirms that cfw dex ita doesn’t support npdrm signed 3.41 homebrews, so here’s a proper fix https://mega.nz/#!kFohwT5A!mcykU58IrpJ5Xq8q8rOELkSJXcZd86yAf1QtX6-eEdo-… Install it over cex version in a fresh installation

@underball we can update the database on the source, just need a proper pull request https://github.com/libretro/prosystem-libretro/blob/master/core/Database.c To fix it, you should debug on windows and report the log to understand how it works, i could debug on ps3 and see what happens instead, just saying :slight_smile:

@Drag which language? I can switch from english and italian on ps3 without any issue (just loading a core). I’m trying just now Donkey Kong 1.

tested more roms, now uncompressed, smc extension, example: Mortal Kombat 2, Super bmbermam 2, 3 and 4, usb000 unit and Hdd0, and after I load my save, the sound is bug up the game crash, the retroarch does not crash, the game Yes. After I change the language, either, I’m stuck with dark transparent screen, retroarch waves move, but I can only exit by pressing the ps button and choose out of the game, I go in again and everything translated and normal

After I change the language, either, I’m stuck with dark transparent screen, retroarch waves move, but I can only exit by pressing the ps button and choose out of the game, I go in again and everything translated and normal

Yes, i use unzipped roms, but i didn’t notice the issue about bugged sound or crash, i’ll try mortal kombat 2. Which driver menu are you using? xmb? or rgui?

I’m using xmb and the rom shuts down, the game crashes

Loading Mortal Kombat 2 at first try it crashed ps3, at second try it worked and saved fine. No idea about random crash though. Which language did you set to get the black screen? I would like to verify if i can reproduce the issue on my end.

[QUOTE=Ezio_PS;44374]Well, it confirms that cfw dex ita doesn’t support npdrm signed 3.41 homebrews, so here’s a proper fix https://mega.nz/#!kFohwT5A!mcykU58IrpJ5Xq8q8rOELkSJXcZd86yAf1QtX6-eEdo-… Install it over cex version in a fresh installation.[/QUOTE]

Done and done! Thanks a lot for the support, it’s very much appreciated.

Random question, though, nothing too important. In the Audio section of settings, there is a toggle for “System BGM Enable.” Is there a way to set BGM for the menu? Or is that in relation to something else entirely?

[QUOTE=Ezio_PS;44381]Loading Mortal Kombat 2 at first try it crashed ps3, at second try it worked and saved fine. No idea about random crash though. Which language did you set to get the black screen? I would like to verify if i can reproduce the issue on my end.[/QUOTE] uninstalled and installed the retroarch, and the problem of the language disappeared, was any language, Portuguese priority, the language problem solved, but only with the super nintendo roms, when saved state and load state, crash in rom

I cannot reproduce the issue about save/load state then crash, maybe because i haven’t old saves to test, but i noticed random crashes when you try to load more roms one behind the other one (not from history list) and you have something like autosaving states set on. Try again to load it, then all will be okay, weird. I needs to do more tests to identify better the issue, and then i can open an issue on github i guess.

Hi,

it`s nice to see the development for the ps3 release is going on. Thanks guys. Is it possible to get a beta release for an ODE ISO ?

best greetings…

Yeah, sure, but you should test it yourself since i haven’t an ODE. :slight_smile:

Uploaded it here. https://mega.nz/#!YRR2DR7S!UfTZA7o3dRwc-NHX21eloAzX1K_Xxia69KSqegw09vg

Please try it and report if it works correctly.