RetroArch 1.3.6 issues

Save states for SNES may still be broken. I loaded Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III. Chrono Trigger didn’t appear to have any issue with save states but FF3 had sound issue when saving and loading. The sound cut out in the first town when saving. It came back after going into battle. Saving in a battle and loading caused the sound to become completely distorted. It didn’t recover when going to the next battle. Sega CD game won’t load. I just get a back screen. Loading zip files seems to crash it and bring it back to the Homebrew Channel.

• NeoGeoPocket core still not working, still displays a white screen
  • Virtual boy runs slighty slower than medanfen standalone app
  • Lost of 7z files cannot be opened (while they can in other emus, like snes9xgx)
  • Game&Watch core is missing
  • Core description is missing and instead the core filename appears in the selection list (this was a good change introduced in 1.3.0)

The core description and pretty name are due to missing/misplaced core info files. If there just in the wrong place, you should be able to move them to wherever RetroArch is looking for them or go to settings > directory and point to their location. If they’re not included, you can download them from https://github.com/libretro/libretro-super and add them manually.

Most of these issues seem to be core issues and not RA issues so they should be handled separately.

The issue related to the core description it may be simply that the release doesn’t include core info files. Just look for them in the assets downloads (http://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/frontend/info.zip) and unzup it in the RetroArch app directory (along with the cores).

Now regarding the FF3 save state issue I suggest you try another rom, it might be corrupted or something. Hope it gets resolved. It happened to me with other roms and changing it worked. (DKC, Super Punch Out, Yoshi’s Island got fixed this way).

The zip loading issue I think I also faced it, the only way I was able to use the roms was by open the archive as folder.

Gonna test this myself and even record with my camera (which luckily records in HD, so it won’t look too bad), I noticed something off myself the other day, will retest to make sure it wasn’t a fluke. I loaded the Snes9x Next core with Earthbound (which is a clean ROM dump, every other emulator on the planet loads it, and it bypasses the infamous anti-piracy measures the game has) and the emulator crashed my Wii U. Will report back in a little while.

Edit: Loaded Snes9x Next, no changes to the settings (aside from changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 when I loaded it for the first time), Earthbound loaded, I was able to make and load a save state, but the second I loaded another ROM, the bloody emulator locked up the console.

I even recorded a video showing that I’m not crazy, this is the second time I was able to reproduce the issue in question, not that it’ll do any good like all the other bug reports I’ve made. I’ve no way of directly capturing video, so this will have to do, there’s no much in terms of sound so disregard it, there are also people talking in the background, the video is more vital than the sound. Should I still make a GitHub entry for this particular issue? And yes, I did delete the config files when prior to loading up 1.3.6 in vWii mode.

Edit 2: For what it’s worth, I filed a report here, I know for a fact that the ROMs aren’t the issue, because they all work fine in Snes9xGX (there’s a modded version I use where a few users implemented speed and stability improvements),

I doubt it’s worth your guys’ time though.

Tested FF3 v1.0 and v1.1 from emuparadise. I even dumped my own v1.0 rom with a retrode. They all do the same thing.

Filed a report on GitHub, not necessarily about loading from-save-corruption, but that something has gone awry with the Next core.

[QUOTE=nintendonerd1889;43042]Filed a report on GitHub, not necessarily about loading from-save-corruption, but that something has gone awry with the Next core.[/QUOTE] Can you submit one for Sega CD? I think Sega CD games have been an issue since 1.2.2.

Well, I can do that, even though they havent’ replied to the one i submitted to yet. I might revert back to RA 1.2.0 or 1.2.2 myself.

I have a problem, i’m using retroarch wii version on a crt tv, the first boot works perfect, run cores and games with no problem, BUT when i power off my Wii and i want o use retroarch again it simply not boot, it stay in a black screen.

This never hapened to me when i was using my Wii through an hdmi dongle, only with mi crt tv.

With 1.3.4 i have to force the resolution to 512x224 and ONLY THEN retroarch can run the second time, but with 1.3.6 this workaround doesn’t work. Now if i want use 1.3.6 i have to erase the “retroarch” folder or else it did not boot.

Sorry my english :stuck_out_tongue:

I confirm the issue with ff3 states. I will work to see if I can fix it… hopefully it would also fix similar issues.

Have you had a chance to see the GitHub report I made? It might help pinpoint, IDK. https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/3254

I can’t apologize to you enough, I bet these bug reports only add stress to you -_-

[QUOTE=nintendonerd1889;43059]Have you had a chance to see the GitHub report I made? It might help pinpoint, IDK. https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/3254

I can’t apologize to you enough, I bet these bug reports only add stress to you -_-[/QUOTE]

I saw your video and your report. However that seems to be another different issue, not sure. Please try this to see if you can overcome the issue when concurrently loading:

Load one rom and once it is being loaded try loading another one… but use: Load content->Select File->[then select your file]->Open Archive as Folder-> Then select the rom to load.

If you have unzipped roms, then just select your file. If I don’t do this myself, RA exits to the Homebrew channel.

I must say that these bugs are really difficult to track as the main RA developers made lot of changes to the menu, loading system, etc and even if we manage to fix it once for the Wii version it may reappear again later when they perform modifications. This because the Wii version, not being a main one, after each change remains untested until we try it.

Hope this trick helps you and maybe you can try other cores (not snes) to confirm if this also happens with them and not just snes9x-next.

[QUOTE=netux79;43084]I saw your video and your report. However that seems to be another different issue, not sure. Please try this to see if you can overcome the issue when concurrently loading:

Load one rom and once it is being loaded try loading another one… but use: Load content->Select File->[then select your file]->Open Archive as Folder-> Then select the rom to load.

If you have unzipped roms, then just select your file. If I don’t do this myself, RA exits to the Homebrew channel.

I must say that these bugs are really difficult to track as the main RA developers made lot of changes to the menu, loading system, etc and even if we manage to fix it once for the Wii version it may reappear again later when they perform modifications. This because the Wii version, not being a main one, after each change remains untested until we try it.

Hope this trick helps you and maybe you can try other cores (not snes) to confirm if this also happens with them and not just snes9x-next.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you’re right, and I profusely apologize for adding stress to your already-stressful workloads and what have you >.> That being said, I don’t have compressed ROMs, I just never thought about doing it as my SD card is plenty big, 16 GB I believe. But I’ll try that workaround and report back to you when I try it out, I know that the regular Snes9x core doesn’t have this issue, I think, even though it’s not as fast/optimized as the Next core is for the Wii is. Genesis Plus GX I don’t think had that, but I’ll try the other cores and spam-open the menu and save/load states feature, making another video recording if need be. If worse comes to worse, then I can always revert back to RA 1.2.2, or even 1.0.0.2 if I absolutely must, but those versions were a nightmare to map with the Classic Controller as I have to map every key manually.

I’ll let you know my findings, and thank you for you and the other devs’ times for all you do.

But to sum up, I load the ROM using that method, even if the ROMs aren’t zipped, right?

That’s it, I’m reverting back to 1.2.2, why? Easy, because I couldn’t even load one ROM without the damn thing locking up on me, maybe it’s because I’m loading on a Wii U and not a Wii. I mean, I guess I could hook up my Wii, but I shouldn’t have to. I couldn’t even switch games, gonna try other cores now.

Edit: This makes no sense at all, I’m using the regular Snes9x 1.53 core, most games do indeed run speed (games with special chips, not so much, and Secret of Evermore doesn’t boot), but I can save, change games, multiple games and it never freezes sigh.

[QUOTE=nintendonerd1889;43095]That’s it, I’m reverting back to 1.2.2, why? Easy, because I couldn’t even load one ROM without the damn thing locking up on me, maybe it’s because I’m loading on a Wii U and not a Wii. I mean, I guess I could hook up my Wii, but I shouldn’t have to. I couldn’t even switch games, gonna try other cores now.

Edit: This makes no sense at all, I’m using the regular Snes9x 1.53 core, most games do indeed run speed (games with special chips, not so much, and Secret of Evermore doesn’t boot), but I can save, change games, multiple games and it never freezes sigh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, snes9x core is much better… however it’s a bit slower for some games. However, we have a 3rd option: catsfc which comes in 2 flavors… one with blargg apu so you can have good sound and the other one with crappy sound but fast as hell… however the special games with chips doesn’t work very well except for Yohi’s island which I remember runs full speed!

So where do we go from here, do we just simply give up trying to figure out what the heck is going on with the Next core? Like, I used to use it a lot, and I do like the core a lot as well, but it’s completely and utterly broken and I feel absolutely horrible for making these bug reports. Yes, the CATFSC with Blargg’s APU is a nice alternative, I almost forgot about that, there is one game in particular that it doesn’t like, I think that’s Seiken Densetsu 3, as that game often switches between 224 x 256 to I want to say 512 x 224 or something funky like that with pseudo hi-res mode 7, I think the game flickers like crazy when using CATSFC_enhanced (or whatever it’s called). But I digress.

Is there anything we can do or something I can do to test or revert to 1.2.2 when Snes9x Next was last working properly?

I mean, all flavors of Snes9x have their pros and cons to be sure, and with me being nitpicking about cycle-accurate audio, well, you know sigh I hope someday there’s a Wii U port, now that we have full kernel access to the console, and that Snes9x doesn’t have to rely on hacks…as much anyway -_- >.<

[QUOTE=humbertosnk;43056]I have a problem, i’m using retroarch wii version on a crt tv, the first boot works perfect, run cores and games with no problem, BUT when i power off my Wii and i want o use retroarch again it simply not boot, it stay in a black screen. This never hapened to me when i was using my Wii through an hdmi dongle, only with mi crt tv. With 1.3.4 i have to force the resolution to 512x224 and ONLY THEN retroarch can run the second time, but with 1.3.6 this workaround doesn’t work. Now if i want use 1.3.6 i have to erase the “retroarch” folder or else it did not boot. Sorry my english :P[/QUOTE] It was resolved in the last nightly, but it took like 5 seconds to boot, at least it works now.

@humbertosnk: Good to know that you was able to run it, finally.

And in other News I fixed the issue with the savestates, now it works with other games like FF3. You may be able to test it tomorrow on the next nightly build.

@nintendonerd1889: Regarding your issue while I was testing my fix for the savestates I was able to run multiple roms one after another (using a normal Wii, not Wii U) but my roms are zipped. I had to use the option I mentioned before: Loading the zip as a folder and then selecting the rom file. If a use open with Core option it kicks me off to the Homebrew channel. Hope that helps you.

[QUOTE=netux79;43204]@humbertosnk: Good to know that you was able to run it, finally.

And in other News I fixed the issue with the savestates, now it works with other games like FF3. You may be able to test it tomorrow on the next nightly build.

@nintendonerd1889: Regarding your issue while I was testing my fix for the savestates I was able to run multiple roms one after another (using a normal Wii, not Wii U) but my roms are zipped. I had to use the option I mentioned before: Loading the zip as a folder and then selecting the rom file. If a use open with Core option it kicks me off to the Homebrew channel. Hope that helps you.[/QUOTE]

That is so weird, sigh that means I have to zip my ROMs then, as I can’t really use the option you suggested without me doing it. I’ll load a few test ROMs into a zip file and try it that way, I don’t know if me using a Wii vs a Wii U’s Wii Mode has any impact on stability.