RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

i have noticed there is a feature that should be added that seems critical because it can be a game breaker for many psx games

i have found that in the event you play a multi disc psx game and you go to switch between discs the emulator does not carry the save over nor does it allow for creation of new memory cards

multi disc game support and memory card management needs to be supported otherwise it breaks the usual sequence of playing multi disc games

like ff7 ff8 ff9 and others

normally you get to end of disc 1 save on memory card then reopen the next disc and continue from that same save on that memory card thats how it works with the original console

but when ya go to open the new iso it says there is no game save data making a new memory card is not possible

and renaming don’t help either

this would be fixed if the ability to manage memory cards and discs was implemented even just memory card management would do the trick

i know many of us would like to see cheating ability in the emulator but i not gonna complain implementing cheating is a bit of challenge for each and every console and its not critical for completing or playing a game. but the ability to move from one disc to the other is

ive also discovered a bug in the snes emulator when playing super mario rpg

there is a problem that seems to again be a game breaker cause save and memory management is a problem

i am at the beginning of the game and right after ya rescue the princess from bowsers castle the graphics go beserk

now the message text works fine but the graphics never restore themselves

again this prevent further navigation into the game and could be fixed using save state management or the ability to reload the game without the auto save state load turned on however im looking to do just that right now but the problem is that if i turn off the save state load at this point in the game i will go right back to the beginning because it is this point in the game where you are unable to reach your very first save area

you cant save your game file in super mario rpg until you get PAST bowsers castle so you get screwed before then you have to reset which im having trouble with

i load retroarch on my brand new samsung galaxy s4 quad core my plan is t mobile simple choice unlimited 4 g so i have good hardware good device and a near limitless data plan

i also have comodo anti virus mobile loaded on my phone so that removes any possibility of a virus or mobile malware messing up the phone

this is not me nagging to implement the memory management feature its reporting a bug i just found and pointing out a small change in the save management, interface interaction, or the way graphics run or something might fix it

and apparently i also found out that in the event the aspect ratio gets messed up the entire program for that core gets locked up

for example if you accidentally press the wrong button and set the aspect ratio within the snes core of the emulator wrong

the buttons remain on screen but the game display AND the controls to access the emulator for that core vanish and it seems to stick

and uninstalling the entire retroarch app and reinstalling it seems to be the only way to get around that particular bug

this dont just break the ability to play the game or that console but breaks that core too cause it blocks off access to the means to fix the settings

anyway good luck with the next release this emulator is already awesome and has the potential to be the best of every emulator available for the droid os it pretty much is the best already

Multidisc support should work. Do you switch discs in-game or do you exit and load the next disc?

For the Final Fantasy games (and others like Legend of the Dragoon) you do not switch in game like you would for Meatal Gear Solid. When you get to the end of Disc 1 in lets say FF9 you are asked to save your progress to your memory card like you normally would. Then you turn off the PSX put in Disc 2 for FF9. Once the game boots up to the main menu you normally select Load Game. The game then reconizes that your save file from Disc 1 is complete so the game loads the save file and picks up from where you left off from the first disc. This goes on till you are on the last disc and beat the game. If i am understanding gj7213158600’s issue, when he/she gets to the end of Disc 1 and saves then reloads RetroArch but with Disc 2 of their game it does not recognize the save file on the memory card that the first disc had left.

For the Final Fantasy games (and others like Legend of the Dragoon) you do not switch in game like you would for Meatal Gear Solid. When you get to the end of Disc 1 in lets say FF9 you are asked to save your progress to your memory card like you normally would. Then you turn off the PSX put in Disc 2 for FF9. Once the game boots up to the main menu you normally select Load Game. The game then reconizes that your save file from Disc 1 is complete so the game loads the save file and picks up from where you left off from the first disc. This goes on till you are on the last disc and beat the game. If i am understanding gj7213158600’s issue, when he/she gets to the end of Disc 1 and saves then reloads RetroArch but with Disc 2 of their game it does not recognize the save file on the memory card that the first disc had left.[/quote:2o8nhyed] Umm… No game requires you to turn the PS1 off after you get to the end of the first disc. Once you save it goes back to the insert next disc screen waiting for the new disc and then will continue on.

If you use the Multidisc support you should not have any problems, it should create the new savefile/memorycard just fine. https://github.com/Themaister/RetroArch/wiki/RGUI#playstation-disk-swapping . If you do not use the multidisc, then you would have to manually rename the savefile/memorycard to the name of the second disc.

Any news on when the Xperia Play fixing revision is coming out, or could I please have a reputable download source for the APK for the previous version? I have had trouble finding it online myself.

May I ask where i can find the frontend apk for mame0.78?I know nothing about it?does it exist?or the porter has to build it? could anybody help me?thanks a lot?

@simonljr It wasn’t included because it’s not yet “ready for primetime,” so to speak. When it’s ready to go, it will likely be included in a point release. If you have the capability, you’re welcome to get the code from github and compile it yourself, though there are obviously no guarantees on functionality at this time.

Any news on where I can find the old version? Your website links to this site https://github.com/Themaister/RetroArch/tree/master/android/phoenix which has no old versions posted, even though that’s why I was directed to it.

You guys have taught me a valuable lesson; always always always always always disable auto update, on anything. I’m turning off autoupdate on my toaster oven, hold on.

Or, I dunno, you could simply stop using a crap gamepad/phone hybrid which even Sony no longer supports.

You make it sound as if maintaining the awkward Xperia Play controls is a ‘fun thing’ to do. Note - it’s not - especially not when you don’t own the device yourself (and there’s really zero reason to buy it to begin with these days)

Anyway, I’ll likely have to discuss this with ToadKing again. Last time around when I brought it up he didn’t feel like looking at it again - and I’m more or less not feeling the motivation either - but I could try again.

I want to begin by saying that all those who contribute to Retroarch deserve a sincere pat on the back for their hard work, yourself of course included. You guys are amazing. I have used your programs on my Wii, PC and Xperia Play.

I am aware that the Xperia Play is a nightmare to program for. I’m not a programmer but I understand that Sony cut corners and that it’s basically three devices stitched together, and I can appreciate what a pain that likely is.

Still, I am amazed that you and others online and amongst this community do not revere the Xperia Play. Yeah it’s got downsides, yes it is two years outdated, but it is a completely unique specimen. There are no other gaming phones whatsoever. with hardware inputs AT ALL. I don’t know about you, but on-screen virtual controls make me want to gouge out my eyes and realistically limit you to only certain genres that do not require precise inputs. If you look at Google Play reviews you will note many people complaining about Xperia Play support being broken by the recent patch, because a disproportionate number of Xperia play owners love emulation and use your program. It has a elevated price on Ebay relative to its age and specs due to its obviously outstanding characteristic - hardware controls. You said there’s no reason to buy it, well there’s the biggest one you could ask for, the ability to play emulated games with glorious hardware controls without carrying another bulky, impractical, unwanted device.

As I said in my own (5 star) Google Play review, and I laugh at the thought of quoting myself, but, “I know it is an aging piece of hardware… but it is the ONLY smartphone with real hardware controls, the ONLY smartphone available which you can really enjoy playing old games on without having to have a bluetooth controller shoved up your arse.”

Until a successor to the Xperia Play comes to market, which I believe will almost certainly happen in time, I think its maintenance should be made, dare I say, something of a priority?

And it’s not like the Xperia Play is really terribly underpowered. My non rooted devices have full speed Nes, Snes, Atari, PS1, Turbo Grafx, GB/GBA, Neo Geo, and more. It works fine, hell it works great. I really see no reason to upgrade my phone at present, and that’s the truth. A bigger screen would be nice, but would it be better than comfortable hardware controls build into a sleek and solid phone? Hell no. The Xperia Play is literally the phone that I, and many others, would pick as our day-to-day device given the choice of any phone.

Please support it. If a small donation would help please tell where to make it. If Xperia Play support is going to be dropped, which would be very sad to me, then please give us a link to the older version’s APK.

Thank you for you and your teams’ incredible work. I know retroarch likely embodies thousands of man hours and I appreciate that.

@Charliedontsurf I don’t know anywhere that has the old APKs laying around, but you could always check out an earlier revision of the code from github and compile it yourself.

More specifically, we would need to track down the commit that ‘broke’ Xperia Play support. And since none of us own an Xperia Play, that is pretty much like searching for a needle in a haystack considering the amount of commits we did inbetween r12 and r13.

Would Xperia Play users skyping with you guys help with testing? If not then I will honestly consider donating my Verizon model Xperia Play to the cause, if it would reasonably guarantee support in the foreseeable future for Android.

After googling “compile” and “android,” I can safely say that is well beyond my knowledge, which is basically none on this topic. I do appreciate the suggestion and hope an R12 apk will surface from somewhere.

Edit: I found this post on Minixforums http://minixforums.com/threads/the-ultimate-emulator-retroarch.252/ which contains a link to a download rpk for R12 here: https://anonfiles.com/file/1be573626afccd86a53e657fe2869dda . I apologize for cluttering up the android feedback thread with all this xperia play business, I just feel strongly about the device and its place in emulation. Those feelings are tempered and heavily outweighed by my appreciation for the Retroarch team’s hard work.

Ah, sweet. I’m glad you were able to track down a copy. Hopefully that’ll be a decent workaround for Xperia owners until the input situation gets worked out (assuming it ever does).

Would Xperia Play users skyping with you guys help with testing? If not then I will honestly consider donating my Verizon model Xperia Play to the cause, if it would reasonably guarantee support in the foreseeable future for Android.

[/quote]

If you want to help me/us with this, then you have to know git and you have to know how to do checkouts of older revisions. We need to do a binary search on all the commits inbetween 0.9.8.4 and 0.9.9.

Hello Squarepusher, I see someone else has already asked about the Xperia Play gamepad, which is good, but I have another problem which might be related to the Xperia Play, or android phones in general.

Whenever I’m in a game (core loaded, game rom loaded), if I press on my screen at the bottom left corner (to the left of the words Sony Ericsson), then I get taken back to the core selection screen. Is this something that happens on other phones, or just Xperia Play so far?

Thank you for your time.

@maliciu That’s an Xperia Play-specific issue. It’s always been that way, AFAIK.

hi, is the allwinner A10 SoC sufficient to get fullspeed+rewind enabled in most cores?

Obviously not. Running on Android, it has a runtime performance that is slightly lower than a Gamecube (and Gamecube obviously doesn’t have the same performance dips as Android due to Android having a GC garbage collector that can’t be shut down or managed/tweaked per app - so Gamecube runs way better regardless). How much of that is to blame on Android is up for discussion - the stalls during gameplay (GC) certainly are to blame on Android.