RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

Cool, I look forward to the future of retroarch.

1000%

Just a little word to say thanks to the devs behind RetroArch! Must be quite a challenge to support all those cores, all those ports and all those devices (especially on Android).

Square, did you ever mention the possibility of an Amiga core? I remember vaguely about this being mentioned elsewhere. Or was it about the C64?

There is an Amiga core in the works by 7rtype - and also an Atari ST one (Hatari). I’ll be taking a look at how far along the Hatari core is over the weekend and then I’ll decide whether or not it’s fit to throw into the overall package so that users can begin testing on it and bug reporting stuff.

Is there a list of cores which are being realistically considered? Just wondering if I’ll be running Dosbox and PSP through Retroarch in a few weeks :slight_smile:

Is there a list of cores which are being realistically considered? Just wondering if I’ll be running Dosbox through Retroarch in a few weeks :)[/quote]

There already is a Dosbox port that has existed for over a year by meancoot - I don’t know if it works really reliably though - I have to admit I haven’t really used it. Part of the problem there is the dynarecs only being for 32bit - but I don’t know really.

I should probably look into that port - we might want to rebase some of these ports against mainline when they are more mature.

Thanks Square, i’ll try this later today.

Also, What’s the “TV Mode” Sounds interesting :slight_smile:

[quote=“pete_uk”]

Thanks Square, i’ll try this later today.

Also, What’s the “TV Mode” Sounds interesting :)[/quote]

It allows you to boot directly into RGUI and select your ROM from there or load a game from the history list. Kinda like how the Wii port works.

Squarepusher I know that you removed MIPS/x86 beacuse only 8 devices used it, but you could release 3 versions of retroarch on the Play Store, one for each system. Also, it will be great to have x86 back so thanks to the Android-x86 Project we could have an Android PC for playing 4 players at the same time on a big screen.

Here you have the link to the project so you can see how it works.

http://www.android-x86.org/

Question:I have the 32x roms working but was wondering has anyone got the FMV games(night trap,Corpse Killer)working?Also has someone got passe the start menu onCorpse Killer on Sega CD?its the only game i cant get the controls to work on.Thanks in advance guys…

Isn’t that one of the few 32X Sega CD games?

Frankly I don’t know if Picodrive is supposed to play those games - I could ask notaz sometime if he is around.

yes it is Squarepusher…other 32X games work(Star Wars Arcade,Virtua fighter and racing)there are in 32file format but the FMV ones are not(been looking all morning for them.also what about my question about Corpse Killer on Sega CD.ive DL a few copies of that and the controls dont work on them.was wondering was that an iso problem or a RA problem?Thanks for the response and the help the other day also.THIS IS THE BEST EMULATOR OUT FOR ANDROID!awesome work…keep it up.i havent stopped playing around with it yet.

Just tried the latest commit and the DS3 mappings are correct :slight_smile: Thanks Square.

I just tried the TV mode and I like it :slight_smile: Will there be an option to boot straight into it rather than the normal GUI? Also, The default ROMs path set in the “Path Options” doesn’t seem to be carrying over to RGUI

OK, I’ll take a look at that for 0.9.9.6. This one is going out the door now.

Cool. Thanks again Square.

Hey, I’m trying to use the Desmume core on a Galaxy S3 (I9300)… The core works perfectly, the rom plays with no problems but i can’t find any controls for it… just wondering if there’s anything i’ve missed or anything you could do to help? cheers

There is no input overlay for DS yet if that’s what you’re asking.

Stylus controls are done via RETRO_DEVICE_MOUSE. That is not implemented so far on the Android port of RetroArch.

The Desmume core is free and open source (unlike Drastic) but I won’t deny that Drastic is a far, far better DS emulator right now for Android devices as it stands.

Desmume is just included for the “what the heck” factor and because one day it might be playable (say - a Shield 2). In the here and now I guess you can either buy Drastic for 8 dollars (ugh) or download mudlord’s APK for 0 dollars (yay - and updated as of today - HLE BIOS and all).

RetroArch Android 0.9.9.5 (r19) released now - biggest change - a bsnes/higan Performance core (latest version). Plays all non-coprocessor games at fullspeed on an nVidia Shield.

Will take some time as usual to be uploaded to Google Play Store.

Direct download: - http://themaister.net/retroarch-dl/android/org.retroarch.browser.RetroArch.r19.apk

v0.9.9.5

• [Android] Input autodetection fixes -
    • DualShock3 pad controls fixed
  • [Android] It should now be possible to map D-pad to analog on several gamepads, such as:
    • Xbox 360
    • PlayStation3
    • Shield
  • [Android] Threaded video is now the default due to positive user feedback. Purists and accuracy people can still go for static syncing for best results - although for PCSX ReARMed threaded video is essential. With the combination of threaded video and dynamic audio rate control, most of the audio pops and sync issues should be a thing of the past now. Yay.
  • [Android] UI has been reorganized and made less shitty (yes, we know). Still a long way to go there. The entire menu should be gamepad-controllable now at least.
  • [Android] Shaders that were broken on Nexus 7/4/10 etc. should now work
  • [Android] Added some additional autodetection rules:
    • Ouya: Input overlays are disabled by default
  • [Android] Added high-latency audio option for crappy/old Android devices that can’t handle the lower-latency audio that is the default since 0.9.9.4. This should give you the same performance as 0.9.9.3 (r17). Turn this on if you get bad sound/performance (and it’s not your device simply being slow). This might also apply for some of the newer devices - perhaps OpenSL driver has not been updated/optimized there.
  • [Android] Added a TV mode. This will launch you straight into RGUI mode. This mode is identical to what you get from the Wii and PC ports of RetroArch at startup. First you select a core, then you select a game to go with it.
  • [SNES9x] Fixes by Alcaro to libretro port
  • [SNES9x Next] Fixes savestates from not being able to be loaded.
  • (LIBRETRO) Added bsnes/higan performance core [v0.92] (Android).
    • bsnes/higan performance core will run all non-coprocessor games at fullspeed on an nVidia Shield.
    • Co-processor games (SuperFX/SA-1/DSP/Cx4/SA1) will run between ~40fps and 55-57fps on an nVidia Shield - depending on the specific co-processor. Note - you will need BIOS files for these games - see byuu boards for information on them.
  • [Mednafen NGP] Fixes input issues in a number of games, such as:
    • Card Fighters games
    • Etc.
  • [Picodrive] Updates/32X compatibility/accuracy improvements
  • [NEStopia] Updated to 1.46 WIP - added ability to load NstDatabase.xml, fixes Vs. System games and Startropics 1/2

Yay… Shaders are working!!! Great job! Scanlines FTW!

Just installed R19 on my Shield, awesome stuff. FBA and Mame are having some save issues that I’d like to report, all of which could be linked to the odd way the Shield deals with its SD cards. I may experiment later moving some roms (and save location) to the internal. Anyway autosave seems to work in Punisher(FBA) for instance but autoload doesn’t and I can’t load normal saves either.

Normal loads seem to be working in Mame but autoload gets an incompatible save file message after the disclaimer and then the game starts from the beginning. Tested with Airgallet. Picodrive’s autosave/load feature works perfectly. Tested Abrams battle tank. Gambate too saves perfectly including autosave/load, tested Ace Striker. Mednafen Virtual Boy saves perfectly as well. Doom2 fails to save or load and doesn’t seem to attempt to autosave or autoload but I think that’s been the case for a long time and the ingame saves work perfectly. Mednafen NGP saves work perfectly.

One thing I would love to see in future versions is a quick-launch, Recent Games list as an option on the very first screen, exactly like we have the Load Game (History) option in the green menu. This would be a really great convenience I think. Also is there a way to assign a button to a “turbo” or fast forward function? I was playing Super Mario RPG on my computer recently and the idea of getting through those battles without fast forward is not pleasant.

Thanks for all your hard work guys.