RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

Doom - savestatesare not implemented right now, use normal saves

FBA - Savestates are broken all across the board. Me and maister could possibly have another look at it - our serialization implementation is dead wrong right now.

MAME - This is likely game-specific - and really, MAME has NEVER had (through its entire lifetime - not even the latest version today) all savestates working equally across all drivers. So - given that this is a 2003 version - don’t expect much really and be happy what little games WILL save.

Yeah, I mentioned this in the blog post as well. I really wanted to have it in 0.9.9.5 but couldn’t make it in time and just wanted this new release out the door first.

Thanks for your replies mate.

Just tried out dpad emulation in Diablo (PSX). Works great. Diagonals are working perfectly. Thanks

Hey Square, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Dualshock 3 is working perfectly again and the audio hiccups are gone from PCSX ReARMed.

Thank you again.

WOW another update already!keep up the awesome work!Question:is the second controller port active and can u cut it off?The reason i cant get Corpse Killer Sega CD is because the game detects a second controller.srry to sound like a pain but i really want to play this one.

Thanks, the UI is a lot better now.

Heya Squarepusher, quick question for you:

You mentioned in an earlier thread that you “could” implement a per core custom button mapping for Android (like iOS) but will you? Pretty please? :smiley:

Any core that utilizes classic 2 buttons and to some extent, many of the mame games, the buttons are backwards. i.e. NES and Gameboy for example, the B button is pressed with the tip of the thumb and the A button is pressed with the thumb joint. This comfortably translates to (on the Dualshock3 controller) Square=B and X=A but by default this is the other way around - which makes playing NES or GB games (plus others) counter intuitive.

You’ll likely find everyone (like me) from the nintendo generation, having the same issue. Per core custom button mapping would solve everything.

Just a question/request/wish! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your hard work thus far - My S4 has been a constant source of nostalgia since I’ve installed RetroArch.

The Tv mode is very handy. I love using the RGUI to pick games/cores.

New version today. This should fix a couple of serious regressions that popped up in the VBA Next core.

r21 (August 16, 2013) - v0.9.9.6

• [VBA Next] Fixes serious regressions - most evident in Golden Sun games - battle screens etc.
  • [VBA Next] Add a core option to change the control button layout from (left to right) B to A to (left to right) A to B.

I noticed a small problem with my 2012 Nexus 7 (doesn’t seem to affect my other device)

When I press the center button on my 360 gamepad it goes back to the home screen instead of opening the RGUI.

It seems to be caused by this file: /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl

# Copyright (C) 2011 The Android Open Source Project
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.

#
# XBox 360 USB Controller
#

key 304   BUTTON_A
key 305   BUTTON_B
key 307   BUTTON_X
key 308   BUTTON_Y
key 310   BUTTON_L1
key 311   BUTTON_R1
key 314   BACK
key 315   BUTTON_START
key 316   HOME
key 317   BUTTON_THUMBL
key 318   BUTTON_THUMBR

# Left and right stick.
# The reported value for flat is 128 out of a range from -32767 to 32768, which is absurd.
# This confuses applications that rely on the flat value because the joystick actually
# settles in a flat range of +/- 4096 or so.
axis 0x00 X flat 4096
axis 0x01 Y flat 4096
axis 0x03 Z flat 4096
axis 0x04 RZ flat 4096

# Triggers.
axis 0x02 LTRIGGER
axis 0x05 RTRIGGER

# Hat.
axis 0x10 HAT_X
axis 0x11 HAT_Y

I’ve gotten around it by editing that file, but is it possible to override that key press in the app so it doesn’t go home? It appears you did for the button that’s mapped to BACK

someone has managed to emulate golden ax: revenge of dark adder in mame 2003???

And to say about killer instinct 1 & 2?

On the other hand, there are plans to include lynx emulation?

my god as cool Street Fighter III in xperia play!

thanks thanks thanks!

Just added Load Game (History) to frontend. Should make things much neater.

Argh, the Golden Sun battle bug is still there.

But it ISN’T there on PC. Seems like another GCC optimization fuckup on the Android NDK toolchain’s part perhaps.

Fucking Google man. These motherfuckers…

recompiled VBA Next with the Android NDK r9 instead of Android NDK r8b (which I NEED to compile certain libretro codebases because NDK r9 fucks up there with “internal compiler errors”) and guess fucking what? Golden Sun battle bug gone now.

Thanks Google for having me doubt my own codebase you stupid sons of bitches.

So it looks like for certain libretro codebases I need to jump to NDK r8b and for others I need NDK r9 for ‘reliable results’. Just gotta love a billion-dollar Fortune 500 company that makes backend/development tools worth fuck all.

@Squarepusher, i don’t know where i should ask for this so i don’t want to make a new thread but why game are lagging on the shield? I’m sorry i don’t know if lagging is the good terms but for example when playing Rayman with PCSX Rearmed when you play the game there is many little lag that make the game doesn’t look smoother, i noticed the same on SNES9X Next. And just another question, i would to play Breath Of Fire IV but my ISO is not an original ISO it’s a patched ISO to play it in french language and when i tried to load it, it just go back to the retroarch menu. And thanks for all your amazing work.

Games aren’t lagging at all on the Shield - if anything, RetroArch has the lowest audio/video latency out of every Android emu/port so far. Make sure you have threaded video turned on and that you aren’t running stupid extra ‘services’ in the background which didn’t came as the default when you originally bought the Shield.

Shield runs RetroArch perfect and if you can’t get it to run perfectly then most likely it is your own fault - either you installed some extra service/app which drags performance down or it’s something else.

I also advise that you turn off Google Play Store auto-updating since this drags down performance as well. Also turn off account sync and GPS. I specifically recommend this in a popup message when you first startup RetroArch on the Shield.

Did the installed size go up quite a bit? It’s showing up as roughly 100 mb for me now, which is bigger than it used to iirc and a big chunk of the paltry Xperia Play internal memory.

MIPS and x86 cores are not included vs. before - but more cores got included.

Xperia Play I am not going to cater to and it’s not officially supported unless somebody finally gifts one of the damn things - it is old and even Sony deserted it.

You can make your own repacks where you remove cores you don’t need I guess. That or gain root access and start removing the cores directly - there is another thread that explains how to do this.

Works great for me ( after i disable video threaded for my old phone) . also the tv mode save my time, before i had to browse my mame roms directory and take a coffee to wait browser finish his job !

@Squarepusher , is there a way to use an overlay to retrun a predefine value that can be used is the core . i mean is there anyways to use an overlay to make a virtualkbd , it ll be very handy for some computer port. and then i could bypass my lame vkbd in hatari for example.